From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Subject: Re: Disappearing headers
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:54:37 +0200	[thread overview]

Matt Gushee wrote:

>Hello, all--
>
>I am trying to format a book such that the book title appears in the
>header of each left-hand page, and the chapter title appears in the
>header of each right-hand page. I think (though I haven't decided for
>sure) that I want each chapter to start on a right-hand page. It seems
>that, when chapters are forced to begin on right-hand pages, the book
>title fails to appear on the first blank page inserted to move the
>chapter start, and on all subsequent pages.
>
>Here are the commands I am using related to headers:
>
>    \setuphead [title]
>        [align=left,textstyle={\switchtobodyfont[BernhardModern]\bf}]
>    \setuphead [chapter]
>        [page=right,head=nomarking,after=\blank]
>    \setuppagenumbering [alternative=doublesided,location=margin]
>    \setupheader [style=\it]
>    \setupheadertexts [] [chapter] [title] []
>        % reverse order, as mentioned in my earlier post

i need a small doc with dummy text to see the effect -)

>With all these commands enabled, I get the effect I want: chapters begin
>on righthand pages, the title and chapter title appear, respectively, in
>the left and right page headers (adjacent to the page numbers, with the
>page numbers toward the outside edge of the page). But, as I said, the
>book title stops appearing as soon as a blank page is inserted to move
>the chapter start to the right.

those things are related to when marks are set/reset; tricky sync stuff

how about playing a bit with \definetext

\starttext

\setuphead [chapter] [page=right,header=chapter]
\setuphead [title]   [page=right,header=]
\setuppagenumbering [alternative=doublesided,location=margin]

\definetext[chapter][header][title][]

\setupheadertexts[title][chapter]

\title{title 1} test \page test \chapter{chapter 1} test \page test
\title{title 2} test \page test \chapter{chapter 2} test \page test
\title{title 3} test \page test \chapter{chapter 3} test \page test

\stoptext

>If I comment out *both* the \setuphead [chapter] command and the
>\setuppagenumbering command, the title continues to be displayed
>throughout the text. If I enable either of the two, the title disappears
>again. By the way, it appears that this \setuppagenumbering command has
>a side-effect of forcing chapters to begin on the right. Is that really
>a good idea? It's certainly surprising to me.

The default settings are:

  \setuphead[chapter][page=right]

when you change this to

  \setuphead[chapter][page=yes]