* Disappearing headers
@ 2004-07-23 22:55 Matt Gushee
From: Matt Gushee @ 2004-07-23 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, all--

I am trying to format a book such that the book title appears in the
header of each left-hand page, and the chapter title appears in the
header of each right-hand page. I think (though I haven't decided for
sure) that I want each chapter to start on a right-hand page. It seems
that, when chapters are forced to begin on right-hand pages, the book
title fails to appear on the first blank page inserted to move the
chapter start, and on all subsequent pages.

Here are the commands I am using related to headers:

    \setuphead [title]
        [align=left,textstyle={\switchtobodyfont[BernhardModern]\bf}]
    \setuphead [chapter]
        [page=right,head=nomarking,after=\blank]
    \setuppagenumbering [alternative=doublesided,location=margin]
    \setupheader [style=\it]
    \setupheadertexts [] [chapter] [title] []
        % reverse order, as mentioned in my earlier post

With all these commands enabled, I get the effect I want: chapters begin
on righthand pages, the title and chapter title appear, respectively, in
the left and right page headers (adjacent to the page numbers, with the
page numbers toward the outside edge of the page). But, as I said, the
book title stops appearing as soon as a blank page is inserted to move
the chapter start to the right.

If I comment out *both* the \setuphead [chapter] command and the
\setuppagenumbering command, the title continues to be displayed
throughout the text. If I enable either of the two, the title disappears
again. By the way, it appears that this \setuppagenumbering command has
a side-effect of forcing chapters to begin on the right. Is that really
a good idea? It's certainly surprising to me.

So, am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug?

mgushee@havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)

* Re: Disappearing headers
@ 2004-07-28  8:54 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-07-28  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matt Gushee wrote:

>Hello, all--
>
>I am trying to format a book such that the book title appears in the
>header of each left-hand page, and the chapter title appears in the
>header of each right-hand page. I think (though I haven't decided for
>sure) that I want each chapter to start on a right-hand page. It seems
>that, when chapters are forced to begin on right-hand pages, the book
>title fails to appear on the first blank page inserted to move the
>chapter start, and on all subsequent pages.
>
>Here are the commands I am using related to headers:
>
>    \setuphead [title]
>        [align=left,textstyle={\switchtobodyfont[BernhardModern]\bf}]
>    \setuphead [chapter]
>        [page=right,head=nomarking,after=\blank]
>    \setuppagenumbering [alternative=doublesided,location=margin]
>    \setupheader [style=\it]
>    \setupheadertexts [] [chapter] [title] []
>        % reverse order, as mentioned in my earlier post

i need a small doc with dummy text to see the effect -)

>With all these commands enabled, I get the effect I want: chapters begin
>on righthand pages, the title and chapter title appear, respectively, in
>the left and right page headers (adjacent to the page numbers, with the
>page numbers toward the outside edge of the page). But, as I said, the
>book title stops appearing as soon as a blank page is inserted to move
>the chapter start to the right.

those things are related to when marks are set/reset; tricky sync stuff

how about playing a bit with \definetext

\starttext

\setuphead [chapter] [page=right,header=chapter]
\setuphead [title]   [page=right,header=]
\setuppagenumbering [alternative=doublesided,location=margin]

\definetext[chapter][header][title][]

\setupheadertexts[title][chapter]

\title{title 1} test \page test \chapter{chapter 1} test \page test
\title{title 2} test \page test \chapter{chapter 2} test \page test
\title{title 3} test \page test \chapter{chapter 3} test \page test

\stoptext

>If I comment out *both* the \setuphead [chapter] command and the
>\setuppagenumbering command, the title continues to be displayed
>throughout the text. If I enable either of the two, the title disappears
>again. By the way, it appears that this \setuppagenumbering command has
>a side-effect of forcing chapters to begin on the right. Is that really
>a good idea? It's certainly surprising to me.

The default settings are:

  \setuphead[chapter][page=right]

when you change this to

  \setuphead[chapter][page=yes]

you get what you want

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Disappearing headers -- belated followup
@ 2004-08-10  5:23   ` Matt Gushee
From: Matt Gushee @ 2004-08-10  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 10:54:37AM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:

> >I am trying to format a book such that the book title appears in the
> >header of each left-hand page, and the chapter title appears in the
> >header of each right-hand page. I think (though I haven't decided for
> >sure) that I want each chapter to start on a right-hand page. It seems
> >that, when chapters are forced to begin on right-hand pages, the book
> >title fails to appear on the first blank page inserted to move the
> >chapter start, and on all subsequent pages.
> >
> i need a small doc with dummy text to see the effect -)

I apologize for not responding earlier. I've been wrapped up in a very
time-consuming project. Anyway, you'll find an example below.

Also, I will of course try your suggestions.

-- test02.tex ----------------------------------------------------------

\definepapersize
    [tradebook6x9]
    [width=6in,height=9in]

\definepapersize
    [double6x9]
    [width=12in,height=9in]

\setuppapersize [tradebook6x9] [tradebook6x9]

\setuphead [title] [align=left,textstyle={\bf}]
\setuphead [chapter] [page=right,head=nomarking,after=\blank]
\setuppagenumbering [alternative=doublesided,location={header,marginedge}]
\setupheader [style=\it]
\setupheadertexts [] [chapter] [title] []

\setupbodyfont [10pt]
\setupindenting [small]

\define[2]\TitlePage{%
    \startstandardmakeup
        \vfill
        \vfill
        \title {#1}
        \vfil
        {\switchtobodyfont [14.4pt]
         \rightaligned {\rm #2}}
        \vfill
        \vfill
        \vfill
    \stopstandardmakeup
}%
\starttext
\startfrontmatter
    \TitlePage {The Oregon Trail} {Francis Parkman, Jr.}
    \placecontent
\stopfrontmatter

\startbodymatter
\chapter {The Frontier}

\setupheader[state=empty]

Last spring, 1846, was a busy season in the City of St. Louis.  Not
only were emigrants from every part of the country preparing for the
journey to Oregon and California, but an unusual number of traders
were making ready their wagons and outfits for Santa Fe.  Many of the
emigrants, especially of those bound for California, were persons of
wealth and standing.  The hotels were crowded, and the gunsmiths and
saddlers were kept constantly at work in providing arms and
equipments for the different parties of travelers.  Almost every day
steamboats were leaving the levee and passing up the Missouri,
crowded with passengers on their way to the frontier.

In one of these, the Radnor, since snagged and lost, my friend and
relative, Quincy A. Shaw, and myself, left St. Louis on the 28th of
April, on a tour of curiosity and amusement to the Rocky Mountains.
The boat was loaded until the water broke alternately over her
guards.  Her upper deck was covered with large weapons of a peculiar
form, for the Santa Fe trade, and her hold was crammed with goods for
the same destination.  There were also the equipments and provisions
of a party of Oregon emigrants, a band of mules and horses, piles of
saddles and harness, and a multitude of nondescript articles,
indispensable on the prairies.  Almost hidden in this medley one
might have seen a small French cart, of the sort very appropriately
called a "mule-killer" beyond the frontiers, and not far distant a
tent, together with a miscellaneous assortment of boxes and barrels.
The whole equipage was far from prepossessing in its appearance; yet,
such as it was, it was destined to a long and arduous journey, on
which the persevering reader will accompany it.

The passengers on board the Radnor corresponded with her freight.  In
her cabin were Santa Fe traders, gamblers, speculators, and
adventurers of various descriptions, and her steerage was crowded
with Oregon emigrants, "mountain men," negroes, and a party of Kansas
Indians, who had been on a visit to St. Louis.

Thus laden, the boat struggled upward for seven or eight days against
the rapid current of the Missouri, grating upon snags, and hanging
for two or three hours at a time upon sand-bars.  We entered the
mouth of the Missouri in a drizzling rain, but the weather soon
became clear, and showed distinctly the broad and turbid river, with
its eddies, its sand-bars, its ragged islands, and forest-covered
shores.  The Missouri is constantly changing its course; wearing away
its banks on one side, while it forms new ones on the other.  Its
channel is shifting continually.  Islands are formed, and then washed
away; and while the old forests on one side are undermined and swept
off, a young growth springs up from the new soil upon the other.
With all these changes, the water is so charged with mud and sand
that it is perfectly opaque, and in a few minutes deposits a sediment
an inch thick in the bottom of a tumbler.  The river was now high;
but when we descended in the autumn it was fallen very low, and all
the secrets of its treacherous shallows were exposed to view.  It was
frightful to see the dead and broken trees, thick-set as a military
abatis, firmly imbedded in the sand, and all pointing down stream,
ready to impale any unhappy steamboat that at high water should pass
over that dangerous ground.

In five or six days we began to see signs of the great western
movement that was then taking place.  Parties of emigrants, with
their tents and wagons, would be encamped on open spots near the
bank, on their way to the common rendezvous at Independence.  On a
rainy day, near sunset, we reached the landing of this place, which
is situated some miles from the river, on the extreme frontier of
Missouri.  The scene was characteristic, for here were represented at
one view the most remarkable features of this wild and enterprising
region.  On the muddy shore stood some thirty or forty dark slavish-
looking Spaniards, gazing stupidly out from beneath their broad hats.
They were attached to one of the Santa Fe companies, whose wagons
were crowded together on the banks above.  In the midst of these,
crouching over a smoldering fire, was a group of Indians, belonging
to a remote Mexican tribe.  One or two French hunters from the
mountains with their long hair and buckskin dresses, were looking at
the boat; and seated on a log close at hand were three men, with
rifles lying across their knees.  The foremost of these, a tall,
strong figure, with a clear blue eye and an open, intelligent face,
might very well represent that race of restless and intrepid pioneers
whose axes and rifles have opened a path from the Alleghenies to the
western prairies.  He was on his way to Oregon, probably a more
congenial field to him than any that now remained on this side the
great plains.

\chapter {Breaking The Ice}

\setupheader [state=empty]

Both Shaw and myself were tolerably inured to the vicissitudes of
traveling.  We had experienced them under various forms, and a birch
canoe was as familiar to us as a steamboat.  The restlessness, the
love of wilds and hatred of cities, natural perhaps in early years to
every unperverted son of Adam, was not our only motive for
undertaking the present journey.  My companion hoped to shake off the
effects of a disorder that had impaired a constitution originally
hardy and robust; and I was anxious to pursue some inquiries relative
to the character and usages of the remote Indian nations, being
already familiar with many of the border tribes.

Emerging from the mud-hole where we last took leave of the reader, we
pursued our way for some time along the narrow track, in the
checkered sunshine and shadow of the woods, till at length, issuing
forth into the broad light, we left behind us the farthest outskirts
of that great forest, that once spread unbroken from the western
plains to the shore of the Atlantic.  Looking over an intervening
belt of shrubbery, we saw the green, oceanlike expanse of prairie,
stretching swell over swell to the horizon.

It was a mild, calm spring day; a day when one is more disposed to
musing and reverie than to action, and the softest part of his nature
is apt to gain the ascendency.  I rode in advance of the party, as we
passed through the shrubbery, and as a nook of green grass offered a
strong temptation, I dismounted and lay down there.  All the trees
and saplings were in flower, or budding into fresh leaf; the red
clusters of the maple-blossoms and the rich flowers of the Indian
apple were there in profusion; and I was half inclined to regret
leaving behind the land of gardens for the rude and stern scenes of
the prairie and the mountains.

\chapter {Fort Leavenworth}

\setupheader [state=empty]

On the next morning we rode to Fort Leavenworth.  Colonel, now
General, Kearny, to whom I had had the honor of an introduction when
at St. Louis, was just arrived, and received us at his headquarters
with the high-bred courtesy habitual to him.  Fort Leavenworth is in
fact no fort, being without defensive works, except two block-houses.
No rumors of war had as yet disturbed its tranquillity.  In the
square grassy area, surrounded by barracks and the quarters of the
officers, the men were passing and repassing, or lounging among the
trees; although not many weeks afterward it presented a different
scene; for here the very off-scourings of the frontier were
congregated, to be marshaled for the expedition against Santa Fe.

Passing through the garrison, we rode toward the Kickapoo village,
five or six miles beyond.  The path, a rather dubious and uncertain
one, led us along the ridge of high bluffs that bordered the
Missouri; and by looking to the right or to the left, we could enjoy
a strange contrast of opposite scenery.  On the left stretched the
prairie, rising into swells and undulations, thickly sprinkled with
groves, or gracefully expanding into wide grassy basins of miles in
extent; while its curvatures, swelling against the horizon, were
often surmounted by lines of sunny woods; a scene to which the
freshness of the season and the peculiar mellowness of the atmosphere
gave additional softness.  Below us, on the right, was a tract of
ragged and broken woods.  We could look down on the summits of the
trees, some living and some dead; some erect, others leaning at every
angle, and others still piled in masses together by the passage of a
hurricane.  Beyond their extreme verge, the turbid waters of the
Missouri were discernible through the boughs, rolling powerfully
along at the foot of the woody declivities of its farther bank.

The path soon after led inland; and as we crossed an open meadow we
saw a cluster of buildings on a rising ground before us, with a crowd
of people surrounding them.  They were the storehouse, cottage, and
stables of the Kickapoo trader's establishment.  Just at that moment,
as it chanced, he was beset with half the Indians of the settlement.
They had tied their wretched, neglected little ponies by dozens along
the fences and outhouses, and were either lounging about the place,
or crowding into the trading house.  Here were faces of various
colors; red, green, white, and black, curiously intermingled and
disposed over the visage in a variety of patterns.  Calico shirts,
red and blue blankets, brass ear-rings, wampum necklaces, appeared in
profusion.  The trader was a blue-eyed open-faced man who neither in
his manners nor his appearance betrayed any of the roughness of the
frontier; though just at present he was obliged to keep a lynx eye on
his suspicious customers, who, men and women, were climbing on his
counter and seating themselves among his boxes and bales.

The village itself was not far off, and sufficiently illustrated the
condition of its unfortunate and self-abandoned occupants.  Fancy to
yourself a little swift stream, working its devious way down a woody
valley; sometimes wholly hidden under logs and fallen trees,
sometimes issuing forth and spreading into a broad, clear pool; and
on its banks in little nooks cleared away among the trees, miniature
log-houses in utter ruin and neglect.  A labyrinth of narrow,
obstructed paths connected these habitations one with another.
Sometimes we met a stray calf, a pig or a pony, belonging to some of
the villagers, who usually lay in the sun in front of their
dwellings, and looked on us with cold, suspicious eyes as we
approached.  Farther on, in place of the log-huts of the Kickapoos,
we found the pukwi lodges of their neighbors, the Pottawattamies,
whose condition seemed no better than theirs.

Growing tired at last, and exhausted by the excessive heat and
sultriness of the day, we returned to our friend, the trader.  By
this time the crowd around him had dispersed, and left him at
leisure.  He invited us to his cottage, a little white-and-green
building, in the style of the old French settlements; and ushered us
into a neat, well-furnished room.  The blinds were closed, and the
heat and glare of the sun excluded; the room was as cool as a cavern.
It was neatly carpeted too and furnished in a manner that we hardly
expected on the frontier.  The sofas, chairs, tables, and a well-
filled bookcase would not have disgraced an Eastern city; though
there were one or two little tokens that indicated the rather
questionable civilization of the region.  A pistol, loaded and
capped, lay on the mantelpiece; and through the glass of the
bookcase, peeping above the works of John Milton glittered the handle
of a very mischievous-looking knife.

Our host went out, and returned with iced water, glasses, and a
bottle of excellent claret; a refreshment most welcome in the extreme
heat of the day; and soon after appeared a merry, laughing woman, who
must have been, a year of two before, a very rich and luxuriant
specimen of Creole beauty.  She came to say that lunch was ready in
the next room.  Our hostess evidently lived on the sunny side of
life, and troubled herself with none of its cares.  She sat down and
entertained us while we were at table with anecdotes of fishing
parties, frolics, and the officers at the fort.  Taking leave at
length of the hospitable trader and his friend, we rode back to the
garrison.

Shaw passed on to the camp, while I remained to call upon Colonel
Kearny.  I found him still at table.  There sat our friend the
captain, in the same remarkable habiliments in which we saw him at
Westport; the black pipe, however, being for the present laid aside.
He dangled his little cap in his hand and talked of steeple-chases,
touching occasionally upon his anticipated exploits in buffalo-
hunting.  There, too, was R., somewhat more elegantly attired.  For
the last time we tasted the luxuries of civilization, and drank
adieus to it in wine good enough to make us almost regret the leave-
taking.  Then, mounting, we rode together to the camp, where
everything was in readiness for departure on the morrow.
\stopbodymatter
\stoptext

-- END test02.tex ------------------------------------------------------

@ 2004-08-10 19:03     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-08-10 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matt Gushee wrote:

>On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 10:54:37AM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
>

>>>I am trying to format a book such that the book title appears in the
>>>header of each left-hand page, and the chapter title appears in the
>>>header of each right-hand page. I think (though I haven't decided for
>>>sure) that I want each chapter to start on a right-hand page. It seems
>>>that, when chapters are forced to begin on right-hand pages, the book
>>>title fails to appear on the first blank page inserted to move the
>>>chapter start, and on all subsequent pages.
>>>

>>i need a small doc with dummy text to see the effect -)
>>

>\setupheader[state=empty]

those seems redundant to me (since you set up the chapter head anyway)

your problem probably is that you expect the title marking to be
persistant while in reality it is coupled to the chapter mark;

\decouplemarking[title]

will decouple them

Hans

* Re: Disappearing headers -- belated followup
@ 2004-08-10 21:06       ` Matt Gushee
From: Matt Gushee @ 2004-08-10 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 09:03:20PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:

> >>i need a small doc with dummy text to see the effect -)
> >
> >\setupheader[state=empty]
> >

> those seems redundant to me (since you set up the chapter head anyway)

Without that, headers were appearing on the first page of the chapter.
I expected there would be a global setup to suppress headers in such
places, but I couldn't find it. Did I miss something?

> your problem probably is that you expect the title marking to be
> persistant while in reality it is coupled to the chapter mark;
>
> \decouplemarking[title]
>
> will decouple them

Aha! That seems to fix the problem. But could you explain (if the reason
is understandable to someone not very familiar with ConTeXt internals)?
If the chapter and title headings are coupled, that implies (doesn't
it?) that they will appear or not appear in pairs everywhere. Yet in my
document, the title stopped appearing on one page and failed to reappear
for the rest of the book, whereas the chapter headings continued.

I may not absolutely need to know this, but it will help me understand
ConTeXt a little better.

Thanks for the response.

@ 2004-08-11  7:13         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-08-11  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matt Gushee wrote:

>>>\setupheader[state=empty]
>>>

>>those seems redundant to me (since you set up the chapter head anyway)
>>

>Without that, headers were appearing on the first page of the chapter.
>I expected there would be a global setup to suppress headers in such
>places, but I couldn't find it. Did I miss something?

\setuphead[chapter][header=empty]

>is understandable to someone not very familiar with ConTeXt internals)?
>If the chapter and title headings are coupled, that implies (doesn't
>it?) that they will appear or not appear in pairs everywhere. Yet in my
>document, the title stopped appearing on one page and failed to reappear
>for the rest of the book, whereas the chapter headings continued.
>
>I may not absolutely need to know this, but it will help me understand
>ConTeXt a little better.

a title is officially a chapter without number; so, title is part of the chapter reset chain (but not the reverse)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: disappearing headers
@ 2003-02-13 23:24     ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2003-02-13 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Headers are driving me crazy;-)

Consider the test file at the end of this mail: It is designed so that every new
chapter (\title since journal articles need no numbering) begins on an odd page.
I tried localizing the headers with \start and \stop. Here is what happens

1. On page five (odd, last page of Test~1) we are still in chapter Test~1, yet
the heading for Test~2 appears;
2. The blank page before the beginning of Chapter Test~2 has a heading and a
footer. How can I automatically make it completely empty of header and footer (I
know about \noheaderandfooterlines but I have had no luck positioning it just
right to get the effect I want);
3. On page ten (even, last page of Test~2), the heading reads Author~3, when it
should read Author~2.

How do I get things right here? I'm truly desperate on this one. I found clever
(or clunky) workarounds to some of my other problems (I processed my tables in
pdfetex and turned them into eps files for the Gamma run, for instance) but this
one is really driving me bats.

While I would still like to fix the original problem in Gamma where the global
setting of

\setupheadertexts%
[][title][\Author][]%
\setupheader[style=\sc,state=high]

makes the title disappear, even the global setting in pdfetex creates similar
problems. Problem~1
disappears but problems 2 & 3 remain.

Please help!

Best
Idris

======================
\setuphead[title][numberstyle=normal,
                    style=\scb,
                    alternative=middle,
                    page=right,
                    number=no,
                    ownnumber=no,
                    incrementnumber=yes,
                    continue=no,
                    header=high,
                    text=high,
                    footer=empt%
                    ]

\setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided,
                    location={footer,marginedge}]

%\setupheadertexts%                        % uncomment
%[][title][\Author][]%                       % for global version
%\setupheader[style=\sc,state=high] % title will disappear
%                                                     % in Plain

\starttext

\start
\setupheadertexts%
[]%
[Test 1]
[Author 1]%
[]%

\def\Author{Author 1}

\title{Test 1}

\dorecurse{10}{\input tufte \input knuth \par}

\stop

\start
\setupheadertexts%
[]%
[Test 2]
[Author 2]%
[]%

\def\Author{Author 2}

\title{Test 2}

\dorecurse{7}{\input tufte \input knuth \par}

\stop

\start
\setupheadertexts%
[]%
[Test 3]
[Author 3]%
[]%

\def\Author{Author 3}

\title{Test 3}

@ 2003-02-09 22:28   ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2003-02-09 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

> At 07:39 PM 2/4/2003 -0700, you wrote:
> >Dear crew,
> >
> >Another e-TeX culprit? Try this in plain tex mode: the heading
> >corresponding to \title disappears, but works in pdfetex:
>
> Did you try eomega? The otp mechanism seems to dislike the \dorecurse line

I am waiting for Fabrice to make eomega 1.15 binaries (he said he would
try to
do something this week). If he takes too long I'll have to install
MiKTeX or
beg Thomas Esser to make Linux binaries. Then I have to test eomega to
make sure it at least does exhibit any fatal bugs above what already in
Omega1.15. But the journal sponsors will not be
able  to wait for all that;-) If there's anyway to get patches for the
relevant eTeX stuff I'll be quite grateful:-)

In any case, this particular problem is apparently not Omega-related.
See
below.

> [i wonder if you could use the latest enctex mechanism for your
> applications, since it has a similar mapping functionality [multiple chars
> onto one, with output mapping as well] but seems less sensitive to
> lookahead problems

Could you give me an example to try?

> also, if you want a chap start dependent header:
>
>    \setuphead[chapter][style=\sc,header=high]
>
> now your headertext only 'disappears' at the first page

This does not solve my problem. Try running the following in plain tex
mode:
the title/chapter headings will not appear:

texexec --tex=tex test
==========test.tex=======
\setuphead[chapter][style=\sc,header=high]

\setuphead[title][%numberstyle=normal,
                    style=\sc,
                    alternative=middle,
                    %page=right,
                    %number=no,
                    %ownnumber=no,
                    %incrementnumber=no,
                    %continue=no,
                    header=high%,
                    %text=high,
                    %footer=empty,
                    %command=\tfc,
                    %after={\blank[small]%
                    %\blank[big,small]%
                    %\blank[disable]
                    %\placelogos[ijss]}%
                    ]

\setupheadertexts%
[][title][\Author][]%
\setupheader[style=\sc,state=high]

\setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided,
                    location={footer,marginedge}]

\starttext

\title{Test Chapter1}
\def\Author{Author 1}

\dorecurse{10}{\input tufte \input knuth \par}

\title{Test Chapter2}
\def\Author{Author 1}

\stoptext
======================

As always, thnx 4 your help. I hope this is soluble;-)

Best
Idris

* Re: disappearing headers
@ 2003-02-08 16:57 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-08 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 07:39 PM 2/4/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Dear crew,
>
>Another e-TeX culprit? Try this in plain tex mode: the heading
>corresponding to \title disappears, but works in pdfetex:

Did you try eomega? The otp mechanism seems to dislike the \dorecurse line

[i wonder if you could use the latest enctex mechanism for your
applications, since it has a similar mapping functionality [multiple chars
onto one, with output mapping as well] but seems less sensitive to
lookahead problems

also, if you want a chap start dependent header:

   \setuphead[chapter][style=\sc,header=high]

now your headertext only 'disappears' at the first page

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* disappearing headers
@ 2003-02-05  2:39 Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2003-02-05  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear crew,

Another e-TeX culprit? Try this in plain tex mode: the heading
corresponding to \title disappears, but works in pdfetex:

===========
\starttext

\setupheadertexts%
[][title][\Author][]%
\setupheader[style=\sc,state=high]

\setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided,
                    location={footer,marginedge}]

\title{Test Chapter1}
\def\Author{Author 1}

\dorecurse{10}{\input tufte \input knuth \par}

\title{Test Chapter2}
\def\Author{Author 1}

\stoptext

A related problem: I tried doing each article manually, e.g.,

\setupheadertexts%
[][An Article][\Author][]%

but the headings start 2 pages earlier than needed. So the last few
pages of Article~1 contain the headings for Article~2! Aside from fixing
the original problem I'd like to be understand how to handle this
manually as well.

Idris