* on posters, again
@ 2004-07-29 13:28 Eros Albertazzi
From: Eros Albertazzi @ 2004-07-29 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Still struggling to get a poster with Context.
Somehow I am puzzling why almost all my collegue who are accustumed to
write with latex+revtex for chem-math-phys journals then turn to
powerpoint to produce poster and/or presentation, although "ConTeXt is
the layout oriented alternative to the well known LaTeX." and switching
tex macro should be easy.
I feel there is a lacking in information and/or guide that preclude its
use within this comunity.

Anyhow my question:
Can I have text within a (settable) margin in  \setlayerframe?
Probably not since margin are defined in  \setuplayout and having a page
layout atop of another one may not make sense....

Hereis a latex example of what should be easier (and more durable and
flexible) to accomplish with contex

http://andreas.welcomes-you.com/projects/a0poster/
http://andreas.welcomes-you.com/projects/a0poster/demo/poster.pdf

* Re: on posters, again
@ 2004-07-29 14:52 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-07-29 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eros Albertazzi wrote:

> Still struggling to get a poster with Context.
> Somehow I am puzzling why almost all my collegue who are accustumed to
> write with latex+revtex for chem-math-phys journals then turn to
> powerpoint to produce poster and/or presentation, although "ConTeXt is
> the layout oriented alternative to the well known LaTeX." and switching
> tex macro should be easy.
> I feel there is a lacking in information and/or guide that preclude its
> use within this comunity.
>
> Anyhow my question:
> Can I have text within a (settable) margin in  \setlayerframe?

\setlayerframed[preset=lefttop][offset=1cm,align=normal]{the content}

> Probably not since margin are defined in  \setuplayout and having a page
> layout atop of another one may not make sense....

the best appoach is to typeset the doc and poster indepently, see
attached file

- poster-0.tex : basic style
- poster-1.tex : usage in doc
- poster-2.tex : poster building

- poster-x.tex : small patch

(the few lines patch to page-imp.tex is neeed to make my live easier)

one can overload colors in the document itself

it's far from perfect but it shows the idea; now, if you (and maybe
others) can cook up specs of what you want, i can make a series of
s-pos-*.tex files that you can then built upon; a kind of on-line
tutorial in style writing; when done, you can write a myway document an
article for the maps  -)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

[-- Attachment #2: poster.zip --]
[-- Type: application/x-zip-compressed, Size: 2751 bytes --]

* Re: on posters, again
@ 2004-07-30 12:25   ` Eros Albertazzi
From: Eros Albertazzi @ 2004-07-30 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

> \setlayerframed[preset=lefttop][offset=1cm,align=normal]{the content}

my first asking was: "offset"? where did it get it?
then in texshow-web (altough rather empthy) I found \setupframed
but still I have hard time to grasp the picture globally, and I do wish
to be more independent. So sorry

However,anyhow.. I put it, but it has no effect....

I use contex from tetex from SuSe 9.1, should I move to TeXlive+pragma?
Or is just something relate to my .tex file?

> the best appoach is to typeset the doc and poster indepently, see
> attached file
>

> it's far from perfect but it shows the idea; now, if you (and maybe
> others) can cook up specs of what you want, i can make a series of
> s-pos-*.tex files that you can then built upon; a kind of on-line
> tutorial in style writing; when done, you can write a myway document an
> article for the maps  -)

not sure if I am ready to understand all.... but I'll be working on..
on what I consider a rather more advanced approch respect to my
experience than your previous poster template with which I have been
almost able to reproduce (with better typo and easy composition) a
previous openoffice work..

* Re: on posters, again
@ 2004-07-30 14:09     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-07-30 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eros Albertazzi wrote:

> my first asking was: "offset"? where did it get it?
> then in texshow-web (altough rather empthy) I found \setupframed
> but still I have hard time to grasp the picture globally, and I do wish
> to be more independent. So sorry

it pas back to play a while with \framed since it is used all over the
place

\framed[offset=overlay,align=normal]{\input tufte\relax}
\framed[offset=none,align=normal]{\input tufte\relax}
\framed[offset=3cm,align=normal]{\input tufte\relax}

> However,anyhow.. I put it, but it has no effect....
>
> I use contex from tetex from SuSe 9.1, should I move to TeXlive+pragma?
> Or is just something relate to my .tex file?

hm, i'm not sure if that version has layers, often linxu distributions
are behind

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE