* [Fwd: Please forward]
@ 2004-07-15 15:03 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-07-15 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

[-- Attachment #2: Please forward --]
[-- Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4799 bytes --]

From: ishamid <ishamid@lamar.colostate.edu>
To: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Subject: Please forward
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 08:17:09 -0600

Hi Hans,
This message bounced from the list for some reason. I am accessing and using
my work email from home (using a webmail account) but <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
seems to think it's coming from a non-member and bounces it back. Could you
forward it? Any suggestions on getting <ntg-context@ntg.nl> to recognize me
from my webmail portal?

Best
Idris

Subject: fighting footnotes

Dear posse,

I am having trouble with footnotes. For an article, I want some footnotes to
be symbolized by \ast, \dag, etc, but without affecting the numbering of
regular footnotes. For example, the title of article may have a footnote
symbolized by \ast, but the first footnote in the main text should still be
symbolized by `1' (then `2', etc). I tried localfootnotes but I could not get
them placed in the footer at the bottom of the page. [location=page] did not
help.

Related question: can't I just specify a footnote outside the counting
mechanism with any symbol I want at any point in the text, without disturbing
the regular counted footnotes?

I'm also confused by the conversion key. page 93 of the documentation reads:

"With the variable conversion you set up the type of numbering. You may even
use your own character, for example an emdash (keyed in as ---)."

But if I do, e.g., conversion={---}, TeX complains of course. What am I
missing?

Related questions:

Where are the conversion keys set 2, set 3, etc. documented?

How can I reset the numbering if I make local changes? For example, I am using
regular default footnotes, then I switch to conversion=set 2, then I want to
reset to the default footnotes without losing my numbering. I thought that
[n=0] etc. might help but that key seems to affect the paragraph formatting of
the footnotes, not the numbering. I tried using \start-\stop but that does not
isolate the counting mechanism apparently.

Fighting TeX is really frustrating sometimes, and I'm sure the answers are
really simple...

Best
Idris

Deze e-mail is door E-mail VirusScanner van Planet Internet gecontroleerd op virussen.
Op http://www.planet.nl/evs staat een verwijzing naar de actuele lijst waar op wordt gecontroleerd.

* Re: [Fwd: Please forward]
@ 2004-08-01 18:54 ` Christopher Creutzig
From: Christopher Creutzig @ 2004-08-01 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From:
> ishamid <ishamid@lamar.colostate.edu>

> I am having trouble with footnotes. For an article, I want some footnotes to
> be symbolized by \ast, \dag, etc, but without affecting the numbering of
> regular footnotes. For example, the title of article may have a footnote

  If these footnotes need not be printed intermixed with other
footnotes, please try

\starttext
\definenote[othernote][conversion=set 2]
test\footnote{footnote}

test\othernote{othernote}

blah\footnote{another footnote}
\stoptext

Otherwise, please see below.

> Related question: can't I just specify a footnote outside the counting
> mechanism with any symbol I want at any point in the text, without disturbing
> the regular counted footnotes?

  It seems you can't do this directly, but with a specially defined
conversion and the \savecounter[footnote] stuff below, it is certainly
doable.

> But if I do, e.g., conversion={---}, TeX complains of course. What am I
> missing?

  You must define your conversion first:

\starttext
\defineconversion[emdash][{---},{---}]
\setupfootnotes[conversion=emdash]
test\footnote{footnote}
\stoptext

  You need two of the dashes to make ConTeXt realize you want to define
a (one-element) set, not some command.

> Where are the conversion keys set 2, set 3, etc. documented?

  I don't know about documentation (right now), but look into
core-con.tex.  Hans, for me

texexec --module `kpsewhich core-con.tex`

results in an error, line 42 calls \starttyping, but modules use the
Dutsch interface, no?

> How can I reset the numbering if I make local changes? For example, I am using
> regular default footnotes, then I switch to conversion=set 2, then I want to
> reset to the default footnotes without losing my numbering. I thought that

  What about grouping?

\starttext
test\footnote{othernote}

{\setupfootnotes[conversion=set 3]
blah\footnote{another footnote}} and more text\footnote{with
footnotes}.
\stoptext

But since this only changes the way the footnote numbers are displayed,
there won't be a footnote "2" in the code above.  To get this, the best
I could find is

\starttext
test\footnote{othernote}

{% grouping
  \savenumber[footnote]%
  \setupfootnotes[conversion=set 3]%
  blah\footnote{another footnote}%
  \restorenumber[footnote]%
}
and more text\footnote{with footnotes}.
\stoptext

  By the way: Is there some \save-magic that will automatically restore
at the end of the innermost current group, like color does?

regards,
	Christopher Creutzig

* [Fwd: Please forward]
@ 2004-07-15 15:01 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-07-15 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

[-- Attachment #2: Please forward --]
[-- Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4787 bytes --]