* "Animation" in slides (\presentationstep, metafun)
@ 2004-08-04 14:06 Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2004-08-04 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would first like to apologise for this "flooding" of the mailing list
with some questions I can't tackle with alone. It's just a mixture of
opinions and questions I came accross in the last month while making
first steps into ConTeXt and I wrote them all at once. I'll appreciate
any suggestion, hint or solution to any of these problems.

***   ***   ***   ***   ***

After some failed experimets with \presentationstep (I'm still not sure
why it doesn't work) I've browsed through the archives a bit, but still
didn't find any satisfying and elegant solution for what I need.

1.) line-after-line

... just as what \presentationstep was intended for.
Is there an elegant way to achive this "standard PowerPoint trick" of
showing the content of the same page stepwise?

I've found a presentation of Patrick Gundlach (Keine Angst vor (runden
Klammern)), 22.1.02 with
	\StartItem ... \StopItem,

and it more or less solves the problem, but for some non-expert, not
reading the archive and without the need of this pretty, fascinating
"shadowed" effect, some easier solution should be (and maybe already is)
provided.

In http://www.sfu.ca/~cdlinkle/jan23.htm there's an example of a nice
ans simple usage in Prosper:
	\fromSlide{[slideNr]}{...text...}
makes the portion of text or graphics available only from a certain
slide number on.
	\onlySlide{[slideNr]}{...text...})
makes the portion of text only on a certain slide

and it would be nice to be able to achive the same effect in ConTeXt
with the same simplicity of the usage. Maybe it is possible already, but
I'm looking for suggestions how (this feature should be a part of the
standard distribution since it is often needed).

2.) filling-up a table

This is a more complicated example and probably "playing with TeX" may
be the only solution, but I'll ask anyway.

I need to make something similar as, say, multiplication table or a
table for dynamic programming calculation of minimum editing distance.

There is a n*m table, whose fields have to be filled step-by-step
(sometimes the last entries in bold or in red) on consecutive slides.
Copy-pasting and correcting the table ten or twenty times makes no sense.

I would be grateful on any suggestion about how to solve this problem.

3.) graphics manipulation

Sometimes not only the text alone, but also the graphics should change a
bit.
	itdemos/internal/calculat/calculat.pdf
(without the first page) can explain exactly what I mean.

http://www.theorie.physik.uni-wuppertal.de/~rainer/talks/sample3.pdf

is also an example, although I believe I would stil prefer using
PowerPoint (I never did until now) if I was forced to make something
similar in the way they did (using the same tools, tricks and complexity).

I think I would be able to solve this anyhow, but with way too much
effort and without some dirty trick. Can please someone provide me some
minimalistic example of how to do this in metaplay? It would also be
nice to include it in metafun manual or at least put it into wiki.

4.) Page numbering

Suppose I have now "my perfect presentation" :) and I want to number the
pages or achieve some visual effects such as in any of the following:
	general/manuals/example.pdf (dots on the bottom of the page)
	pre-funny (dark red spot in the frame)
	pre-colorful (bottom line)
	Introduction `a ConTeXt, Denis Roegel, 29th May 02

How do I make the pages belonging together also possess the same page
number? (for example pages 2-9 of collect/present/pre-ntsd.pdf could
theoretically be assigned the same page number, 10-14 the second, 15-17
the third, ...)

In the above mentioned example in Prosper this kind of page numbering is
solved exactly the way I like.

***   ***   ***   ***   ***

Thanks a lot,
	Mojca Miklavec

* Re: "Animation" in slides (\presentationstep, metafun)
@ 2004-08-04 22:10 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-08-04 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> After some failed experimets with \presentationstep (I'm still not sure
> why it doesn't work) I've browsed through the archives a bit, but still
> didn't find any satisfying and elegant solution for what I need.

there are several methods (i played with them all and some presentation
styles have them):

- add more content and reprocess page
- do some otr trickery and push back previosu content
- use pdf layers

the first method is nice for some applications (see some presentation
styles); the second ons is the mostly used in other tex packages, but it
has some drawbacks, like a good chance for broken cross ref mechanism,
and lists (due to multiple flushes) and huge files.

The last method works quite well, you may try:

\usemodule[pre-60]

\StartSteps

whatever \FlushStep
some more \FlushStep

\StopSteps

(attached: texexec --pdf --mode=demo s-pre-61; click on text area or
buttons;  state of page is remembered)

Hans

[-- Attachment #2: s-pre-61.pdf --]

* Re: "Animation" in slides (\presentationstep, metafun)
@ 2004-08-04 22:23 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-08-04 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)