* Re: no graph after compilation
@ 2004-08-12 10:16 Duncan Hothersall
From: Duncan Hothersall @ 2004-08-12 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eros Albertazzi wrote:

 >Patrick Gundlach wrote:
>>
>> But unzipping it on top of the texlive was not the very best idea I'd
>> guess.
 >
 >I agree... but be aware that in
 >http://contextgarden.net/Linux_Installation this is just what is
 >suggested

As the author of that page I should respond!

First of all, as the name suggests, it's about a Linux installation, and
this is a Windows installation. I have no experience at all of Windows
installs, and nothing on that page should be applied to Windows unless
you know that it works there too. I don't.

Second, the reason I make that recommendation is that in my set up, that
is what works best. (Essentially that page is a copy of my own readme
file which reminds me how to set up my server again after it crashes...)
Replacing the files removes any doubt about versions of files being
used, and forces one to review and understand the file structure and
changes between versions. I always diff the complete fileset first to
see what's changed.

Perhaps a Windows_Installation page will be the result of the process
you are going through. :-)

Duncan

* Re: no graph after compilation
@ 2004-08-12 19:06 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-12 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Duncan,

> As the author of that page I should respond!

:-)

> First of all, as the name suggests, it's about a Linux installation,
> and this is a Windows installation.

Which should not make any differences when talking about tds.

> I have no experience at all of Windows installs, and nothing on that
> page should be applied to Windows unless you know that it works
> there too. I don't.

Neither have I (windows experience)

> Second, the reason I make that recommendation is that in my set up,
> that is what works best. (Essentially that page is a copy of my own
> readme file which reminds me how to set up my server again after it
> crashes...) Replacing the files removes any doubt about versions of
> files being used, and forces one to review and understand the file
> structure and changes between versions. I always diff the complete
> fileset first to see what's changed.

But the point is that with the changed metapost subdirectory, the old
metafun stuff will stay there and will still be used unless you
update your setup.

> Perhaps a Windows_Installation page will be the result of the process
> you are going through. :-)

I think that distinguishing between texlive/miktex/whatevertex makes
more sense here.

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki: http://contextgarden.net
texshow-web:  http://texshow.contextgarden.net

* Re: Re: no graph after compilation
@ 2004-08-12 19:28   ` Floris van Manen
From: Floris van Manen @ 2004-08-12 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

what is going on here???
is this the babel of our time? :-)

OK, i re-installed a fresh copy of fpTex with the Context option.
It will *not* install texexec at first.
only after removing and re-installing the context option it will.
then i added/unzipped all the cont-*.zip files into the texmf folder.
i also copied the texexec.pl files into the place where the original
files were.

when i do a texexec --make  at pone point it will complain.

(c:/TeXLive/texmf/metapost/context/base/metafun.mp
! I can't find file `plain.mp'.
l.27   input plain.mp
                      ; % John Hobby's file
Please type another input file name:

what is it that i do wrong here (or before).

(help)
% floris

* Re: Re: no graph after compilation
@ 2004-08-12 22:05     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-08-12 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Floris van Manen wrote:

>what is going on here???
>is this the babel of our time? :-)
>

>OK, i re-installed a fresh copy of fpTex with the Context option.
>It will *not* install texexec at first.
>only after removing and re-installing the context option it will.
>then i added/unzipped all the cont-*.zip files into the texmf folder.
>i also copied the texexec.pl files into the place where the original
>files were.
>
>when i do a texexec --make  at pone point it will complain.
>
>(c:/TeXLive/texmf/metapost/context/base/metafun.mp
>! I can't find file `plain.mp'.
>l.27   input plain.mp
>                      ; % John Hobby's file
>Please type another input file name:

if you install context, you can best do it into

  texmf-local

(sometimes texmflocal)

that way the files will be found there first; (it's also easier to prune that tree)

here i have:

texmf : latest tex live
texmf-local : updates
texmf-fonts : all kind if font stuff
texmf-project : project files

(i set the texmf cum suis variables to handle that)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE