* Re: ConTeXt and Aleph
@ 2004-08-17 16:08 Steffen Wolfrum
       [not found] ` <a06002000bd47dcd2d96f@[62\.134\.77\.99]>
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2004-08-17 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
>
> >ever so often I read mails by Giuseppe or Idris on Aleph.
> >Now I also saw that there is a context-manual on aleph.
> >Does this mean I can use the examples mentions there under ConTeXt?
> >
> >Running an alephtest.tex file ...
> >\start \textdir TLT\relax \setups[ward]
> >\start \textdir BLB\relax \red \setups[ward]
> >\stop \setups[ward]
> >\stop
> >... tells me that "\textdir" is an "Undefined control sequence"
> >

> >What is missing?
> >

> probably aleph -)
>
> texexec --make --alone --tex=aleph
>
> texexec yourfile --tex=aleph --output=dpx
>
> (or first line of file: % tex=aleph output=dvipdfmx)
>

> Hans

So I execute
sudo texexec --make --alone --tex=aleph
and try

% tex=aleph output=dvipdfmx
\start \textdir TLT\relax \setups[ward]
\start \textdir BLB\relax \red \setups[ward]
\stop \setups[ward]
\stop

But that gives me only:

 TeXExec 4.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2003

            executable : aleph
                format : cont-en
             inputfile : aleph
                output : dvipdfmx
             interface : en
          current mode : none
               TeX run : 1

sh: aleph: command not found

           return code : 32512
              run time : 0 seconds

        total run time : 1 seconds

What else is missing?

Steffen

* defining a frame with embedded typing
       [not found] ` <a06002000bd47dcd2d96f@[62\.134\.77\.99]>
@ 2004-08-17 16:18   ` Floris van Manen
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Floris van Manen @ 2004-08-17 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

how would i define a frame with the typing environment embedded.

the way i thought to solve it does *not* work (of course)

\def\startTTinput%
{\startframedtext[width=\makeupwidth,background=screen,backgroundscreen=.8]
\starttyping
}

\def\stopTTinput%
{\stoptyping\stopframedtext}

or do i have to look for a solution in a different direction?

thanks!
% f

* Re: ConTeXt and Aleph
       [not found] ` <a06002000bd47dcd2d96f@[62\.134\.77\.99]>
@ 2004-08-17 16:24 ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2004-08-17 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 18:08:25 +0200, Steffen Wolfrum
<context@st.estfiles.de> wrote:

> Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>> >What is missing?
>> >

>> probably aleph -)
>>

> sh: aleph: command not found
>
>            return code : 32512
>               run time : 0 seconds
>
>         total run time : 1 seconds
>

> What else is missing?

You must make sure that aleph, a flavor of TeX like pdfeTeX, is actually
available for the Mac, then create the plain and context formats for aleph.

eomega --ini *plain \dump
eomega --ini *cont-en
texexec --make en -tex=eomega

are the relevant commands. eomega _is_ aleph.

If you want to do serious work with aleph u'll have to modify the
texmf.cnf file as well: comment this line

extra_mem_bot.context   =      4000000

otherwise you will meet some nasty surprises!

Best
Idris

--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: defining a frame with embedded typing
@ 2004-08-17 16:55     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2004-08-17 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 18:18:31 +0200
Floris van Manen <vm@klankschap.nl> wrote:

> how would i define a frame with the typing environment embedded.
> the way i thought to solve it does *not* work (of course)
> ..
> or do i have to look for a solution in a different direction?

Yes, use \definetyping instead. Here is an example:

 \definetyping
   [TTinput]
   [before={\startframedtext[width=\makeupwidth,background=screen,backgroundscreen=.8]},
    after={\stopframedtext}]

 \starttext
 \startTTinput
 test
 \stopTTinput
 \stoptext

Greetings, Taco

* Re[2]: defining a frame with embedded typing
@ 2004-08-17 17:08       ` Floris van Manen
From: Floris van Manen @ 2004-08-17 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

that was the missing link. thanks!
% f

* Re: defining a frame with embedded typing
@ 2004-08-17 19:47     ` Brooks Moses
From: Brooks Moses @ 2004-08-17 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 06:18:31PM +0200, Floris van Manen wrote:
> how would i define a frame with the typing environment embedded.
>
> the way i thought to solve it does *not* work (of course)
>
> \def\startTTinput%
> {\startframedtext[width=\makeupwidth,background=screen,backgroundscreen=.8]
> \starttyping
> }
>
> \def\stopTTinput%
> {\stoptyping\stopframedtext}

Taco already showed the solution to this (use before= and after=
commands in a \definetyping or \setuptyping command), but it might be
useful to also explain why the above doesn't work.

It doesn't work, because \starttyping, like most verbatim environments,
scans through the following text until it gets to the appropriate end
text.  It doesn't expand tokens while doing this; in particular,
\stopTTinput never gets expanded, and so the sequence "\stoptyping"
never shows up to end the input.

Incidentally, there's also a bit more answer to how to do framed typing
environments in some answers to one of my questions a couple of weeks
ago; you might find it useful to look in the archives for that.

- Brooks

* Re: ConTeXt and Aleph
@ 2004-08-18  0:15   ` Bob Kerstetter
From: Bob Kerstetter @ 2004-08-18  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 17, 2004, at 11:24 AM, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:

>> aleph

aleph is the omega snip-off?

for fun, lookup aleph on google.  lots of alephs running around.

* Re: ConTeXt and Aleph
@ 2004-08-18  3:59     ` Bob Kerstetter
From: Bob Kerstetter @ 2004-08-18  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 17, 2004, at 7:15 PM, Bob Kerstetter wrote:

> On Aug 17, 2004, at 11:24 AM, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
>
>>> aleph
>
> aleph is the omega snip-off?

aah. spin-off, not snip-off.  but anyway, is that what aleph is?

* Re: ConTeXt and Aleph
@ 2004-08-18  4:07       ` Steve Peter
From: Steve Peter @ 2004-08-18  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 17, 2004, at 11:59 PM, Bob Kerstetter wrote:

>> aleph is the omega snip-off?
>
> aah. spin-off, not snip-off.  but anyway, is that what aleph is?

It's even an FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=aleph,
which says

"The Aleph project aims to build a "usable" version of Omega,
incorporating e-TeX extensions from the NTS project.

Two sets of concerns have provided impetus to the project: first, that
many users need the e-TeX extensions, and they're not on the Omega
development path; and second, that the Omega project is currently
immersed in radical restructuring of Omega, and is not able to be
particularly responsive to user requirements in the short term. In the
longer term, the Aleph project hope that their work will be rendered
irrelevant by the development of Omega proper.

The current pre-release snapshot of Aleph resides on CTAN with the
rather modest name of e-Omega. Follow development by subscribing to the
project mailing list via http://www.ntg.nl/mailman/listinfo/aleph"

Steve

* Re: defining a frame with embedded typing
@ 2004-08-18  8:14     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-08-18  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Floris van Manen wrote:

>how would i define a frame with the typing environment embedded.
>
>the way i thought to solve it does *not* work (of course)
>

>\def\startTTinput%
>{\startframedtext[width=\makeupwidth,background=screen,backgroundscreen=.8]
>\starttyping
>}
>
>\def\stopTTinput%
>{\stoptyping\stopframedtext}
>

>or do i have to look for a solution in a different direction?

i posted a solution a few days ago, must be in the archives

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE