From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Subject: Re: Re: How to use PostScript font
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:55:09 +0200	[thread overview]

Patrick Gundlach wrote:

>And the argument about being too LaTeXy: the encoding of these files
>is not LaTeX specific (besides from the fact that LaTeX can only
>handle T1/OT1 encoding right), so what is not generic about them?

if you run afm2tfm on some files you get different results that the 'handcrafted' ones that come with distributions; (afm2pl for instance defaults to different metrics [esp spacing] than afm2tfm);

many of these things are not really documented and done by people who use latex and know about latex internals (for instance how they deal with spacing);

concerning generic ... when discussing the fact that some files were not present or zipped with some people at a tex conference (in de) one of contributers remarked "why should they be there, since everyone uses latex and the stuff i make and no one is supposed to generate metrics")

similar things are true for patterns: they are supposed to be generic, but for instance the czech patterns (on tl2003) simply quit when not used in latex. Other changes take place as well, like changes in names of files, and if someone changes a name and then patches some latex source file, users won't notice; when such things are not communicated,  'generic' users end up with a non working system;

i think that the amount of real generic stuff out there is much smaller than people think (for instance bibtex files that have latex commands in
entries)

concerning fonts: if you want texnansi encoding, there are in most cases no tfm files etc. They are mentioned here and there, but often not on the system. It took me a while to find out that -because of that- i could not use precoockes metrics at all -)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE