* Ancient Greek
@ 2004-08-18 20:57 Steffen Wolfrum
       [not found] ` <a06002008bd497194fc9d@[62\.134\.77\.121]>
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2004-08-18 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am about to edit a book with quotes in ancient (polyphonic) greek.
How can this be done in ConTeXt?

Searching for answers I found the long and painful thread started by Thomas A. Schmitz almost one year ago.

Do we have an easier way available today?

Steffen Wolfrum

* Re: Ancient Greek
@ 2004-08-20 15:52 ` Idris Samawi Hamid
       [not found] ` <a06002008bd497194fc9d@[62\.134\.77\.121]>
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2004-08-20 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 22:57:07 +0200, Steffen Wolfrum
<context@st.estfiles.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am about to edit a book with quotes in ancient (polyphonic) greek.
> How can this be done in ConTeXt?

Well, you can always use aleph; see typ-omg.tex and m-gamma.tex for
details. I can also send you a sample file if you like. But if you are not
adventurous;-) I suspect there is a solution that will work for pdfetex.

Best
Idris

--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: Ancient Greek
       [not found] ` <a06002008bd497194fc9d@[62\.134\.77\.121]>
@ 2004-08-21 22:29   ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2004-08-21 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wednesday, August 18, 2004 Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

> Hi,

> I am about to edit a book with quotes in ancient (polyphonic) greek.
> How can this be done in ConTeXt?

> Searching for answers I found the long and painful thread
> started by Thomas A. Schmitz almost one year ago.

> Do we have an easier way available today?

Download Claudio Beccari's fonts. (cbgreek)

Use the attached cbgreek.tex typescript file (Hans, maybe it's
the case to add it to the distribution?) and you should then be
able to type something like this:

==== greektest.tex =====

\usetypescriptfile[cbgreek]

\usetypescript [all] [cbgreek]

\def\enablegreek{\language[greek]\catcode`~=\other\catcode`|=\other}
\def\startgreek{\par\begingroup\setupbodyfont[cbgreek]\enablegreek}
\let\stopgreek\endgroup

\def\greek{\groupedcommand{\switchtobodyfont[cbgreek]\enablegreek}{}}

\mainlanguage[english]

\starttext

We can easily use plain English for normal text, and then switch
to greek when we want; as a first try we type the lower and
upper case 26 letters of the latin alphabet and see how they come
out in greek:
\startgreek
a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
\stopgreek

As it can be observed, some uppercase letters have strange
outcomes; also, j gives \greek{j} and c gives the
end-of-word sigma \greek{c}; interestingly, s gives either the
normal sigma or the end-of-word one, depending on whether it's at
the of the word or not: \greek{satrapws}.

Of course we can use the various diacritical signs: accents
(\greek{`a, 'a, ~a}), breathings (\greek{<r, >w, a"}) and
subscribed iotas (\greek{a|, h|, w|}) (these last are pretty ugly in my
opinion); observe how they automatically get the correct position
with uppercase letters: (\greek{`A, 'A, ~A, <A, >A, A|}).

Can the thing be used for serious work?

\startgreek
>'Andra moi >'ennepe, Mo~usa, pol'utropon, >'os m'ala poll`a\hfill\break
pl'agqjh, >epe`i Tro'ihs <er`on ptol'iejron >'eperse;\hfill\break
poll~wn d" >anjr'wpwn >'iden >'astea ka`i n'oon >'egnw,\hfill\break
poll`a d" <'o g" >en p'ontw| p'ajen >'algea <`on kat`a jum'on,\hfill\break
>arn'umenos <'hn te yuq`hn ka`i n'oston <eta'irwn.
\stopgreek

\stoptext
=======

[-- Attachment #2: cbgreek.tex --]
[-- Type: APPLICATION/OCTET-STREAM, Size: 4169 bytes --]

\starttypescript [serif] [cb-greek] [name]

  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-Medium-Normal]              [grmn]
  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-Medium-Oblique]             [grmo]
  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-Medium-Italic]              [grmi]
  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-Medium-UprightItalic]       [grmu]
  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-Medium-Caps]                [grmc]
  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-Medium-Leipzig]             [grml]
  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-Medium-Roman]               [grmr]

  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-Bold-Normal]                [grbn]
  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-Bold-Oblique]               [grbo]
  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-Bold-Italic]                [grbi]
  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-Bold-UprightItalic]         [grbu]
  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-Bold-Caps]                  [grbc]
  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-Bold-Leipzig]               [grbl]
  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-Bold-Roman]                 [grbr]

  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-BoldExtended-Normal]        [grxn]
  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-BoldExtended-Oblique]       [grxo]
  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-BoldExtended-Italic]        [grxi]
  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-BoldExtended-UprightItalic] [grxu]
  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-BoldExtended-Caps]          [grxc]
  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-BoldExtended-Leipzig]       [grxl]
  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-BoldExtended-Roman]         [grxr]

  \definefontsynonym [Serif]                 [GBGreek-Regular-Medium-Normal]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifSlanted]          [GBGreek-Regular-Medium-Oblique]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]           [GBGreek-Regular-Medium-Italic]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifCaps]             [GBGreek-Regular-Medium-Caps]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]             [GBGreek-Regular-BoldExtended-Normal]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldSlanted]      [GBGreek-Regular-BoldExtended-Oblique]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic]       [GBGreek-Regular-BoldExtended-Italic]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldCaps]         [GBGreek-Regular-BoldExtended-Caps]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [cb-greek] [size]
% Please note that we use Bold Extended instead of Bold

  \definebodyfont
    [5pt]
    [rm]
    [tf=grmn0500,
     sl=grmo0500,
     it=grmi0500,
     sc=grmc0500,
     bf=grxn0500,
     bs=grxo0500,
     bi=grxi0500]

  \definebodyfont
    [6pt]
    [rm]
    [tf=grmn0600,
     sl=grmo0600,
     it=grmi0600,
     sc=grmc0600,
     bf=grxn0600,
     bs=grxo0600,
     bi=grxi0600]

  \definebodyfont
    [7pt]
    [rm]
    [tf=grmn0700,
     sl=grmo0700,
     it=grmi0700,
     sc=grmc0700,
     bf=grxn0700,
     bs=grxo0700,
     bi=grxi0700]

  \definebodyfont
    [8pt]
    [rm]
    [tf=grmn0800,
     sl=grmo0800,
     it=grmi0800,
     sc=grmc0800,
     bf=grxn0800,
     bs=grxo0800,
     bi=grxi0800]

  \definebodyfont
    [9pt]
    [rm]
    [tf=grmn0900,
     sl=grmo0900,
     it=grmi0900,
     sc=grmc0900,
     bf=grxn0900,
     bs=grxo0900,
     bi=grxi0900]

  \definebodyfont
    [10pt]
    [rm]
    [tf=grmn1000,
     sl=grmo1000,
     it=grmi1000,
     sc=grmc1000,
     bf=grxn1000,
     bs=grxo1000,
     bi=grxi1000]

  \definebodyfont
    [10.95pt]
    [rm]
    [tf=grmn1095,
     sl=grmo1095,
     it=grmi1095,
     sc=grmc1095,
     bf=grxn1095,
     bs=grxo1095,
     bi=grxi1095]

  \definebodyfont
    [12pt]
    [rm]
    [tf=grmn1200,
     sl=grmo1200,
     it=grmi1200,
     sc=grmc1200,
     bf=grxn1200,
     bs=grxo1200,
     bi=grxi1200]

  \definebodyfont
    [14.40pt]
    [rm]
    [tf=grmn1440,
     sl=grmo1440,
     it=grmi1440,
     sc=grmc1440,
     bf=grxn1440,
     bs=grxo1440,
     bi=grxi1440]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [CBGreek]

  \definebodyfontenvironment
    [cbgreek]
    [default]
    []

  \definetypeface [cbgreek] [rm] [serif] [cb-greek] [cb-greek]

\stoptypescript

* Re: Ancient Greek / a few modules for SW with thanks to GB
@ 2004-08-23  0:08     ` Hans Hagen Outside
From: Hans Hagen Outside @ 2004-08-23  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

>Use the attached cbgreek.tex typescript file (Hans, maybe it's
>the case to add it to the distribution?) and you should then be
>able to type something like this:

interesting, it worked right away after adding

  \loadmapfile[cbgreek.map]

so you know greek, interesting; it's so long ago that i had greek at
school, i cannot see if this is old or new greek -)

Attached a type-* (i replaced 10.95 by 11pt) file and a s-* file (watch
the definition of start/stop),

   \texexec --mode=demo --pdf s-grk-00

should work. In cont-fil.tex add:

   \definefilesynonym [greek] [grk-00]

and then you can say:

   \usemodule[greek]

and go ahead.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

[-- Attachment #2: s-grk-00.tex --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 2267 bytes --]

%D \module
%D   [      file=s-grk-00,
%D        version=2004.08.23,
%D          title=\CONTEXT\ Style File,
%D       subtitle=CB Greek Support,
%D         author=Hans Hagen,
%D           date=\currentdate,
%D    suggestions=Giuseppe Bilotta,
%D      copyright={PRAGMA / Hans Hagen \& Ton Otten}]
%C
%C This module is part of the \CONTEXT\ macro||package and is
%C therefore copyrighted by \PRAGMA. See mreadme.pdf for
%C details.

\usetypescriptfile[type-cbg]

\usetypescript [all] [cbgreek]

\startsetups [cbgreek]

  \catcode`~=\other
  \catcode`|=\other

  \language[greek]
  \switchtobodyfont[cbgreek]

\stopsetups

\definestartstop
  [greek]
  [commands=\directsetup{cbgreek}]

\doifnotmode{demo}{\endinput}

% The following sample file was submitted to the \CONTEXT\
% mailing list by Giuseppe Bilotta, along with the right
% typescripts.

% already loaded: \usemodule[greek]

\mainlanguage[english]

\starttext

We can easily use plain English for normal text, and then switch
to greek when we want; as a first try we type the lower and
upper case 26 letters of the latin alphabet and see how they come
out in greek:

\startgreek
a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z \par
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
\stopgreek

As it can be observed, some uppercase letters have strange
outcomes; also, j gives \greek{j} and c gives the
end-of-word sigma \greek{c}; interestingly, s gives either the
normal sigma or the end-of-word one, depending on whether it's at
the end of the word or not: \greek{satrapws}.

Of course we can use the various diacritical signs: accents
(\greek{`a, 'a, ~a}), breathings (\greek{<r, >w, a"}) and
subscribed iotas (\greek{a|, h|, w|}) (these last are pretty ugly in my
opinion); observe how they automatically get the correct position
with uppercase letters: (\greek{`A, 'A, ~A, <A, >A, A|}).

Can the thing be used for serious work?

\startgreek
>>'Andra moi >'ennepe, Mo~usa, pol'utropon, >'os m'ala poll`a\hfill\break
pl'agqjh, >epe`i Tro'ihs <er`on ptol'iejron >'eperse;\hfill\break
poll~wn d" >anjr'wpwn >'iden >'astea ka`i n'oon >'egnw,\hfill\break
poll`a d" <'o g" >en p'ontw| p'ajen >'algea <`on kat`a jum'on,\hfill\break
>>arn'umenos <'hn te yuq`hn ka`i n'oston <eta'irwn.
\stopgreek

\stoptext

[-- Attachment #3: type-cbg.tex --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 4418 bytes --]

%D \module
%D   [       file=type-cbg,
%D        version=2004.08.23,
%D          title=\CONTEXT\ Typescript Macros,
%D       subtitle=CB Greek,
%D         author=Giuseppe Bilotta,
%D           date=\currentdate,
%D      copyright=PRAGMA-ADE]
[...]

  \definebodyfont [11pt] [rm] % [10.95pt] [rm] / patched HH
    [tf=grmn1095,
     sl=grmo1095,
     it=grmi1095,
     sc=grmc1095,
     bf=grxn1095,
     bs=grxo1095,
     bi=grxi1095]

  \definebodyfont [12pt] [rm]
    [tf=grmn1200,
     sl=grmo1200,
     it=grmi1200,
     sc=grmc1200,
     bf=grxn1200,
     bs=grxo1200,
     bi=grxi1200]

  \definebodyfont [14.4pt] [rm]
    [tf=grmn1440,
     sl=grmo1440,
     it=grmi1440,
     sc=grmc1440,
     bf=grxn1440,
     bs=grxo1440,
     bi=grxi1440]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [map] [cbgreek] % added HH
  \loadmapfile [cbgreek.map]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [cbgreek] % lowercase, patched HH

  \definebodyfontenvironment [cbgreek] [default] []

  \definetypeface [cbgreek] [rm] [serif] [cb-greek] [cb-greek]

\stoptypescript

\endinput

* Re: Ancient Greek / a few modules for SW with thanks to GB
@ 2004-08-23 23:09   ` Hans Hagen Outside
From: Hans Hagen Outside @ 2004-08-23 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A.Schmitz wrote:

> Sorry for my belated reaction, but I was away from my e-mail for two
> weeks. I'm very excited to see that things are moving on the Greek
> front. Hans, I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean when you
> say "we need a greek vector and named glyphs." unicode does asign a
> unique number and name to (almost) any conceivable combination of
> greek vowel + accents/diacritical signs, for example: "1F00 = greek
> small letter alpha with psili." I could see whether I can find a map
> with these corresponding numbers and names somewhere or would be
> willing to write it myself. Is that what you're looking for?

indeed we need names, something:

\startencoding[default]

\definecharacter greekA        {A}
\definecharacter greekB        {B}
\definecharacter greekC        {C}
\definecharacter greekD        {D}
\definecharacter greekE        {E}
\definecharacter greekZ        {Z}

\definecharacter greekAvowel   {A}

% etc

\stopencoding

\startmapping[iso-8859-7]

\definecasemap 182 220 182 \definecasemap 220 182 220

\stopencoding

\startencoding[iso-8859-7]

% has errors

%definecharacter ....          145 % ``
%definecharacter ....          146 % ''
%definecharacter ....          147 % ``
%definecharacter ....          148 % ''
%definecharacter ....          162 % 'A
%definecharacter ....          171 % ((
\definecharacter greekAvowel   182
\definecharacter greekEvowel   184
\definecharacter greekHvowel   185
\definecharacter greekIvowel   186
%definecharacter ....          187 % ))
\definecharacter greekOvowel   188
\definecharacter greekUvowel   190
\definecharacter greekWvowel   191
\definecharacter greekidiaerac 192
\definecharacter greekA        193
\definecharacter greekB        194
\definecharacter greekC        195
\definecharacter greekD        196
\definecharacter greekE        197
\definecharacter greekZ        198
\definecharacter greekH        199
\definecharacter greekJ        200
\definecharacter greekI        201
\definecharacter greekK        202
\definecharacter greekL        203
\definecharacter greekM        204
\definecharacter greekN        205
\definecharacter greekX        206
\definecharacter greekO        207
\definecharacter greekP        208
\definecharacter greekR        209
\definecharacter greekS        211
\definecharacter greekT        212
\definecharacter greekU        213
\definecharacter greekF        214
\definecharacter greekQ        215
\definecharacter greekY        216
\definecharacter greekW        217
\definecharacter greekIdiaer   218
\definecharacter greekUdiaer   219
\definecharacter greekavowel   220
\definecharacter greekevowel   221
\definecharacter greekhvowel   222
\definecharacter greekivowel   223
\definecharacter greekudiaerac 224
\definecharacter greeka        225
\definecharacter greekb        226
\definecharacter greekg        227
\definecharacter greekd        228
\definecharacter greeke        229
\definecharacter greekz        230
\definecharacter greekh        231
\definecharacter greekj        232
\definecharacter greeki        233
\definecharacter greekk        234
\definecharacter greekl        235
\definecharacter greekm        236
\definecharacter greekn        237
\definecharacter greekx        238
\definecharacter greeko        239
\definecharacter greekp        240
\definecharacter greekr        241
%definecharacter greeks        242
%definecharacter greeks        243
\definecharacter greekt        244
\definecharacter greeku        245
\definecharacter greekf        246
\definecharacter greekq        247
\definecharacter greeky        248
\definecharacter greekw        249
\definecharacter greekudiaer   250
\definecharacter greekudiaer   251
\definecharacter greekovowel   252
\definecharacter greekuvowel   253
\definecharacter greekwvowel   254

\stopencoding

after that we can create a fully expandable unicode vector for greek, like the other unic-* files

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2004-08-23 17:17 ` Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2004-08-23 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry for my belated reaction, but I was away from my e-mail for two
weeks. I'm very excited to see that things are moving on the Greek
front. Hans, I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean when you say
"we need a greek vector and named glyphs." unicode does asign a unique
number and name to (almost) any conceivable combination of greek vowel
+ accents/diacritical signs, for example: "1F00 = greek small letter
alpha with psili." I could see whether I can find a map with these
corresponding numbers and names somewhere or would be willing to write
it myself. Is that what you're looking for?

Best

Thomas

@ 2004-08-23 16:29 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2004-08-23 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)