* Announcing a new script: TeXVersion
@ 2004-08-25  7:28 Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2004-08-25  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Sometimes I find it quite hard to discover what version of TeX + ConTeXt
I am actually running. As an aid in debugging problems, I have created a
Perl script that attempts to collect all relevant version information and prints
it to the screen in an organized manner.

Running it will generate output like this:

        TeXVersion 0.1 / Taco Hoekwater 2004

               texexec : TeXExec 4.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2004
               texutil : TeXUtil 7.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-2002
                   tex : pdfeTeX, 3.14159-1.10b-2.1 (Web2C 7.4.5)
               context : ver: 2004.8.15
               cont-en : ver: 2003.1.31  fmt: 2004.6.19  mes: english

If you are interested, you can download the script from

	http://tex.aanhet.net/context/scripts/

This functionality will eventually become part of texexec.

--
groeten,

Taco

* Re: Announcing a new script: TeXVersion
@ 2004-08-25  9:05 ` Maurice Diamantini
From: Maurice Diamantini @ 2004-08-25  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Diamantini Maurice

Le 25 août 04, à 09:28, Taco Hoekwater a écrit :

> Running it will generate output like this:
>

>         TeXVersion 0.1 / Taco Hoekwater 2004
>
>                texexec : TeXExec 4.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2004
>                texutil : TeXUtil 7.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-2002
>                    tex : pdfeTeX, 3.14159-1.10b-2.1 (Web2C 7.4.5)
>                context : ver: 2004.8.15
>                cont-en : ver: 2003.1.31  fmt: 2004.6.19  mes: english
> This functionality will eventually become part of texexec.

Great script! thanks you Taco,

Just a suggestion:
options for:
    - putting the full path of the executables,
    - some other informations for finding frequently source of problems
      (metapost not operationnal...)

Thanks again,

-- Maurice Diamantini

* Re: Announcing a new script: TeXVersion
@ 2004-08-25 10:03   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-08-25 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maurice Diamantini wrote:

> Le 25 août 04, à 09:28, Taco Hoekwater a écrit :
>
>> Running it will generate output like this:
>>

>>         TeXVersion 0.1 / Taco Hoekwater 2004
>>
>>                texexec : TeXExec 4.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2004
>>                texutil : TeXUtil 7.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-2002
>>                    tex : pdfeTeX, 3.14159-1.10b-2.1 (Web2C 7.4.5)
>>                context : ver: 2004.8.15
>>                cont-en : ver: 2003.1.31  fmt: 2004.6.19  mes: english
>> This functionality will eventually become part of texexec.
>>

> Great script! thanks you Taco,
>
> Just a suggestion:
> options for:
>    - putting the full path of the executables,
>    - some other informations for finding frequently source of problems
>      (metapost not operationnal...)

you can use textools for that:

textools --find pdfetex.exe
textools --find texnansi.enc

etc

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

[-- Attachment #2: textools.zip --]
[-- Type: application/zip, Size: 4303 bytes --]

* new ConTeXt  versions
@ 2004-08-25 11:00     ` Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2004-08-25 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just used Taco's new script (which I find wonderful, thanks so
much!), and this made me realize a problem: the latest version of
ConTeXt should have updated texexec to version 4.4 -- and it did, sort
of. When I checked, it still said "texexec : TeXExec 4.0 - ConTeXt /
PRAGMA ADE 1997-2004." I then realized that the new versions of the
scripts sit in texmf/scripts/context, while the old versions (that are
still being called by the binary texexec) reside in
texmf/context/perltk. For the time being, I just copied them over (one
could also put softlinks in there, I suppose), but I wonder if this
behavior can be modified -- I coulnd't find anything in texexec.rme. My
system is tetex on Mac OS X. Anyone else have the same problems?

Best

Thomas

* Re: new ConTeXt  versions
@ 2004-08-25 11:16       ` Eckhart Guthöhrlein
From: Eckhart Guthöhrlein @ 2004-08-25 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 01:00:03PM +0200, Thomas A.Schmitz wrote:
> I just used Taco's new script (which I find wonderful, thanks so
> much!), and this made me realize a problem: the latest version of
> ConTeXt should have updated texexec to version 4.4 -- and it did, sort
> of. When I checked, it still said "texexec : TeXExec 4.0 - ConTeXt /
> PRAGMA ADE 1997-2004." I then realized that the new versions of the
> scripts sit in texmf/scripts/context, while the old versions (that are
> still being called by the binary texexec) reside in
> texmf/context/perltk. For the time being, I just copied them over (one
> could also put softlinks in there, I suppose), but I wonder if this
> behavior can be modified -- I coulnd't find anything in texexec.rme. My
> system is tetex on Mac OS X. Anyone else have the same problems?

Here is what I do to be sure that always my own (up-to-date) context is
being used instead of any (almost certainly older) one from a tex
distribution, on all machines I have to use.
- I have context in my private texmf tree in $HOME. By default, this
	should be the first texmf being searched.
- I have links to texmf/scripts/context/xxx.pl etc in $HOME/bin (without
	suffix pl). $HOME/bin comes first in the search path for executables.

To be sure to notice changes like the new location of the scripts, I
usually remove an existing context before installing a newer one.

Regards,
Eckhart

* Re: new ConTeXt  versions
@ 2004-08-25 11:25       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-08-25 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A.Schmitz wrote:

> I just used Taco's new script (which I find wonderful, thanks so
> much!), and this made me realize a problem: the latest version of
> ConTeXt should have updated texexec to version 4.4 -- and it did, sort
> of. When I checked, it still said "texexec : TeXExec 4.0 - ConTeXt /
> PRAGMA ADE 1997-2004." I then realized that the new versions of the
> scripts sit in texmf/scripts/context, while the old versions (that are
> still being called by the binary texexec) reside in
> texmf/context/perltk. For the time being, I just copied them over (one
> could also put softlinks in there, I suppose), but I wonder if this
> behavior can be modified -- I coulnd't find anything in texexec.rme.
> My system is tetex on Mac OS X. Anyone else have the same problems?

Welcome to the changes in tds and distributions. When you also update the binaries, you can use:

textools --fixtexmftrees

The scripts are loaded by so called stubs. If you want to play safe, use texmfstart instead:

  texmfstart texexec.pl .....

The indirect way permits me to adapt things to changes in the tree (unfortunately those changes are not always downward compatible, but in texmfstart i can at least try to hide this)

(see texmfstart manual for more features)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE