* Re: column balancing question
@ 2004-09-08  8:58 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-09-08  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michal Kvasnicka wrote:

> Good morning.
>
> One reason for me to switch to ConTeXt were its macros for typesetting
> in columns that are highly superior to any such macro I have ever
> seen. (I typeset almost all my documnts in two columns.) But I am not
> able to supress one strange feature: some pages are one more line
> longer than they should be. It happen randomly -- or at least I was
> not able to find out when it happens. Therefore I'm not able to
> prepare an minimal file. I thougth that setting

Hard to see without example. You may try this (i have this in my local expermental setup)

\def\getmulticolumnlines
  {\mcscratchdimen-\columntextoffset
   \multiply\mcscratchdimen \plustwo
   \advance\mcscratchdimen \columntextheight
   \ifdim\precolumnboxheight>\zeropoint
      \advance\mcscratchdimen -\precolumnboxheight
   \fi
   \settotalinsertionheight
   \advance\mcscratchdimen -\totalinsertionheight
   \getnoflines\mcscratchdimen
   % added 30/7/2004
   \ifnum\layoutlines>\zerocount \ifnum\noflines>\layoutlines
     \noflines\layoutlines
   \fi \fi
   \nofcolumnlines\noflines}

Another option is to switch to column sets (see columns.pdf),

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* column balancing question
@ 2004-09-08  9:11 Michal Kvasnicka
From: Michal Kvasnicka @ 2004-09-08  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Good morning.

One reason for me to switch to ConTeXt were its macros for typesetting
in columns that are highly superior to any such macro I have ever seen.
(I typeset almost all my documnts in two columns.) But I am not able to
supress one strange feature: some pages are one more line longer than
they should be. It happen randomly -- or at least I was not able to find
out when it happens. Therefore I'm not able to prepare an minimal file.
I thougth that setting
\widowpenalty=0
\clubpenalty=0
\brokenpenalty=0
\normalbottom
may help, but it does not.

Can you tell me how to fix this very problem? Well, it does so on all
versions of ConTeXt I have ever tried and both with teTeX and TeXLive
distribution.

Many thanks for your attention and help.
Yours
Michal Kvasnicka

P.S. my document setting is like this (some example can be found at
http://www.econ.muni.cz/~qasar/tmp/delba_prace.pdf):

% output=pdf
\setupbodyfont[ss,10pt]
\setuplayout
[topspace=2cm, height=fit, lines=55,
backspace=15mm, width=fit,
margin=0pt,
header=3\baselineskip, footer=0pt,
grid=yes]
\setuppagenumbering[location=]
\setupheader[style={\em}]
\setupheadertexts[Axel Leijonhufvud: Jednotlivec, trh a průmyslová
dělba práce][pagenumber]
\setupindenting[medium]
\indenting[first]
\setupfootnotes
[location=columns, rule=off,
before={\blank[3*line,small]}, after=]
\setupfootnotedefinition
[location=left,width=fit,
sample={\mathematics{\star\star\star}\ },hang=1]
\setupcolumns[balance=no]

\widowpenalty=0
\clubpenalty=0
\brokenpenalty=0

\setuphead[section]
[number=no, style={\bf},
before={\blank[3*line]}, after={\blank[line]},
indentnext=yes]

* Re: column balancing question
@ 2004-09-08 19:19 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2004-09-08 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Good evening,

Though Hans has sent already a piece of code ...
I saw that you are using height=fit, and width=fit. Did you ever try to
compile your file without these options? -- Some time ago I experienced
troubles with such options, although my layout was different and the
document was not setup with columns.

Kind regards

Willi

* map problems
@ 2004-09-08 19:48   ` Boris Tschirschwitz
From: Boris Tschirschwitz @ 2004-09-08 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

A year ago I wrote a set of ConTeXt-set documents on gentoo linux with
teTeX without any problems.
Now, trying to update them on Mac OS X with Gerben Wieda's teTeX
distribution, I get these messages

specials       : fdf,tpd loaded
)
pdftex         : using map file: original-context-symbol.map
pdftex         : using map file: pl0-ams-cmr.map
pdftex         : using map file: original-vogel-symbol.map
)
*

Seaching Google, I found some references to this problem, but all in
connection with installing new fonts.
Since Gentoo managed to set up everything automatically, I wonder if there
is a simple fix for that.

Thanks,
Boris.

* alpha version
@ 2004-09-09 12:49   ` Martin Kolařík
From: Martin Kolařík @ 2004-09-09 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

I have:

----
This is pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.11a-2.1 (Web2c 7.5.2)
 %&-line parsing enabled.
 (d:/TeX/texmf/web2c/cp8bit.tcx)
-----

in Win32.

I made current alpha version efmt, it was OK, but after trying to typeset some text (I did not tested anyone else) pdfetex failed with general protection failure (a memory cannot be read).

The document is UTF8 XML, the failure occured (see >>HERE<<):

-----
specials       : fdf loaded
)
specials       : fdf,tpd loaded
encoding       : coding default
encoding       : coding il2

>>HERE<<

)
color          : system rgb is global activated
-----

I did not try yet to experiment with removing some code from the last included (my) file (inside context of this file the afilure occurred), maybe I will find more information.

Have a nice day,

Martin

* Re: map problems
@ 2004-09-09 13:43     ` Boris Tschirschwitz
From: Boris Tschirschwitz @ 2004-09-09 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I apologise for that email.

Of course there is no problem with ConTeXt, as it also didn't indicate
any. It turned out to be a problem with HPFS+'s sloppyness with upper and
lower case letters.

Cheers,
Boris.

@ 2004-09-09 13:54     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-09-09 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michal Kvasnicka wrote:

> Good evening.
>
> Many thanks for your help. Your solution works well with the newest
> ConTeXt and one particular document I now typeset. I have to check it
> still with more documents. Do you want to gen a report from these tests?
>
> If you want I can send you many examples, but not `minimal files',
> since I don't know when the problem occures. As I typeset our church
> bulletin, I've got that result pretty often---approximately on one
> third or one fourth of all pages.

just test this on many docs and let me know if it fails

(one source of problems with i'm currently trying to catch is rounding
errors  in comparisons)

> I can't switch to columnset all my documents. Columnsets are
> absolutely great (one of the ConTeXt miracle---I thought it is not
> possible to do it in TeX because of its breaking routines), but
> up-to-now columnsets cannot be ballanced (or can they?), and my church
> bulletin is typset in such a way that each article can start anywhere
> on the page, and the columns must be ballanced before it. I can't
> explain it better because of my English, but its pages look like this:
>
>    xxxxx   xxxxx
>    xxxxx   xxxxx
>    xxxxx   xxxxx
>    xxxxx   xxxxx
>
>    Title of article
>    xxxxx   xxxxx
>    xxxxx   xxxxx
>
> Therefore I would lobby for the support of the old \startcolumns ...
> \stopcolumns environment. :-)

don't worry, i'm not driopping the old one, actually, in due time i'll provide more specialized ones and interfaces to write your own -)

balancing in columnsets is a tricky business, the following should work

(kind of manual balacing, complete control over how long columns on pages are; probably a bit fragile)

% output=pdftex interface=en

\setuplayout[grid=yes] \showgrid \showstruts % gaat nogal fout zonder grid

\setuptolerance[verytolerant]

\definecolumnset [test-1] [n=2]
\definecolumnset [test-2] [n=3]

\starttext

\startcolumnset [test-1] \dorecurse {1}{\input tufte \par} \stopcolumnset
\startcolumnset [test-2] \dorecurse {2}{\input ward  \par} \stopcolumnset

\page

\setupcolumnset [test-1] [balance=yes]
\setupcolumnset [test-2] [balance=yes]

\setupcolumnsetlines[test-1][1][1] [8]
\setupcolumnsetlines[test-1][1][2][10]

\startcolumnset [test-1] \dorecurse {1}{\input tufte \par} \stopcolumnset
\startcolumnset [test-2] \dorecurse {2}{\input ward  \par} \stopcolumnset

\page

\setupcolumnsetlines[test-1][1][1] [8]
\setupcolumnsetlines[test-1][1][2][10]

\setupcolumnsetlines[test-2][1][1][19]
\setupcolumnsetlines[test-2][1][2][18]
\setupcolumnsetlines[test-2][1][3][19]

\startcolumnset [test-1] \dorecurse {1}{\input tufte \par} \stopcolumnset
\startcolumnset [test-2] \dorecurse {2}{\input ward  \par} \stopcolumnset

\page

\setupcolumnsetlines[test-1][1][1] [8]
\setupcolumnsetlines[test-1][1][2][10]

\setupcolumnsetlines[test-2][1][1][0]
\setupcolumnsetlines[test-2][1][2][-2]
\setupcolumnsetlines[test-2][1][3][0]

\startcolumnset [test-1] \dorecurse {1}{\input tufte \par} \stopcolumnset
\startcolumnset [test-2] \dorecurse {6}{\input ward  \par} \stopcolumnset

\page

\setupcolumnsetlines[test-1][1][1] [8]
\setupcolumnsetlines[test-1][1][2][10]

\setupcolumnsetstart[test-2][1][1][20]
\setupcolumnsetstart[test-2][1][2][20]
\setupcolumnsetstart[test-2][1][3][20]

\startcolumnset [test-1] \dorecurse {1}{\input tufte \par} \stopcolumnset
\startcolumnset [test-2] \dorecurse {2}{\input ward  \par} \stopcolumnset

\page

\setupcolumnsetlines[test-1][1][1] [8]
\setupcolumnsetlines[test-1][1][2][10]

\setupcolumnsetlines[test-2][1][1][-20]
\setupcolumnsetlines[test-2][1][2][-20]
\setupcolumnsetlines[test-2][1][3][-20]

\startcolumnset [test-1] \dorecurse {1}{\input tufte \par} \stopcolumnset
\startcolumnset [test-2] \dorecurse {2}{\input ward  \par} \stopcolumnset

\stoptext

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2004-09-09 15:13   ` Michal Kvasnicka
From: Michal Kvasnicka @ 2004-09-09 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

As for the Willi Egger's question, I don't use `fit' options very often.
The problem I've mentioned in my last mail occures even when the `width'
is set to some dimen and the `length' of page is set to some number of
lines.

Many greetings and thanks again.
Your sincerely
Michal Kvasnicka