* Metapost animation
@ 2004-09-13 16:57 Michal Kvasnicka
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Michal Kvasnicka @ 2004-09-13 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Good evening.

First of all I want to thank to Mr. Hagen for his last answer. I will
check your last code of balanced columnsets at home (with the newest
ConTeXt). As for your correcting code for ordinary collumns, I have
tried it with three different types of my documents, and it worked well.
Maybe this is the final solution of the problem. I will try it with more
documents and let you know, anyway.

Now to my next question. I have seen a great thing: Metapost pictures
were animated (probably with the JavaScript code). You can found some
examples here:
    http://www.math.muni.cz/~plch/nkpm/nradanm6.pdf
    http://www.math.muni.cz/~plch/nkpm/nradanm8.pdf
(Just click on the `Spustit animaci' button.)

Is it possible to do it simply in the ConTeXt? Of course I may break
down the mechanism of widgets and write my own JavaScript (I don't know
how to do timing), but isn't there some special macro for animating
series of figures? It would be great.

If so, is Acrobat Reader fast enough to simulate this way the nice
feature of MS PowerPoint---curves and shapes that are drawn by pieces,
or that appear somewhere and then go to its final location? (This is
quite instructive in economics, because you can easily notice which
curve is drawn first, what second, and so on.) How can I do it?

With many greetings and thanks
Michal Kvasnicka

* Re: Metapost animation
@ 2004-09-13 17:14 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2004-09-13 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 13.09.2004 um 18:57 schrieb Michal Kvasnicka:
> Now to my next question. I have seen a great thing: Metapost pictures
> were animated (probably with the JavaScript code). You can found some
> examples here:

Hans himself showed some examples some years ago at DANTE, a ticking
clock, a spinning windmill etc.
(The clock is somewhere around AFAIK but works only with Acrobat 4)

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/

* Re: Metapost animation
@ 2004-09-13 19:40 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-09-13 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

> Now to my next question. I have seen a great thing: Metapost pictures
> were animated (probably with the JavaScript code). You can found some
> examples here:

You need automatic steps? If not, take a look at
http://dl.contextgarden.net/examples/euro-anim/euro-anim.pdf

(this is explained in the metafun handbook; I could upload the source,
too).

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki: http://contextgarden.net
texshow-web:  http://texshow.contextgarden.net

* Re: Metapost animation
@ 2004-09-14  8:21     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-09-14  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Michal,

[...]

> As for your example, I don't understand it. It does work under Windoze
> with Acrobat 4.0 and Acrobat Reader 5.0, but not under Linux with
> Acrobat Reader 5.x.

That is Acrobat Reader. :-( Accept it as a fact that you need to do
your JS for a specific version of Adobe Reader.

> Can you send me your source? I'd like to compile it myself and see
> whether it would work, or not.

It is up at
http://dl.contextgarden.net/examples/euro-anim/euro-anim.tex

> Have you any explanation for that?

None at all.

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki: http://contextgarden.net
texshow-web:  http://texshow.contextgarden.net

* Re: Re: Metapost animation
@ 2004-09-14  8:27   ` Michal Kvasnicka
From: Michal Kvasnicka @ 2004-09-14  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Good morning.

Thanks for your answers.

Well, I'm searching for automatic steps. (I know that manual steps are
covered in the widgets manual.) And even for more funny stuff, like
curves that appear `per partes', or curves thats slide from somewhere to
their final location.

>You need automatic steps? If not, take a look at
>http://dl.contextgarden.net/examples/euro-anim/euro-anim.pdf

As for your example, I don't understand it. It does work under Windoze
with Acrobat 4.0 and Acrobat Reader 5.0, but not under Linux with
Acrobat Reader 5.x. The same was true with Mr. Hagen's clock example.
Why is it so? Can you send me your source? I'd like to compile it myself
and see whether it would work, or not. Have you any explanation for that?

Well, my more questions I will rahter cover under another subject. :-)

Many thanks and greetings anyway.
M.K.

* Re: Metapost animation
@ 2004-09-14 16:33 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-09-14 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michal Kvasnicka wrote:

> Now to my next question. I have seen a great thing: Metapost pictures
> were animated (probably with the JavaScript code). You can found some
> examples here:
>    http://www.math.muni.cz/~plch/nkpm/nradanm6.pdf
>    http://www.math.muni.cz/~plch/nkpm/nradanm8.pdf
> (Just click on the `Spustit animaci' button.)

it's in the metafun manual

that kind of trickery has been present in context for a long time, but unfortunately it's not always available on each platform

(apart from the fact that each version of acrobat has its own side effects)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Metapost animation
@ 2004-09-14 19:18   ` Michal Kvasnicka
From: Michal Kvasnicka @ 2004-09-14 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

> Michal Kvasnicka wrote:
>
>> Now to my next question. I have seen a great thing: Metapost pictures
>> were animated (probably with the JavaScript code). You can found some
>> examples here:
>>    http://www.math.muni.cz/~plch/nkpm/nradanm6.pdf
>>    http://www.math.muni.cz/~plch/nkpm/nradanm8.pdf
>> (Just click on the `Spustit animaci' button.)
>

> it's in the metafun manual
> that kind of trickery has been present in context for a long time, but
> unfortunately it's not always available on each platform
> (apart from the fact that each version of acrobat has its own side
> effects)

Hm. Do you quote the Metafun manual, section 13.6? I know this
technique. But my question was different: Is it possible to `animate'
the fieldstack? In other words, to make it change one figure to another
automatically, without clicking anywhere, changing one frame to another
each 1/n second to simulate a smoth motion like in a cinema?

Many thanks to you and all who answered me.
Yours
Michal Kvasnicka

* Re: Metapost animation
@ 2004-09-15  8:22     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-09-15  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michal Kvasnicka wrote:

> Hm. Do you quote the Metafun manual, section 13.6? I know this
> technique. But my question was different: Is it possible to `animate'
> the fieldstack? In other words, to make it change one figure to
> another automatically, without clicking anywhere, changing one frame
> to another each 1/n second to simulate a smoth motion like in a cinema?

sure, you can let a javascript toggle the states; however, small steps (<1 sec) are not to be trusted in precission, since they also depend on the machine; they also kind of block other actions since there is no concept of animation in pdf (apart from svg, which is poorly implemented/integrated).

Another method is demonstrated in the 'dante XV' presentation (runs slightly faster on a mac than on windows);

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Metapost animation
@ 2004-09-16 17:05       ` Michal Kvasnicka
From: Michal Kvasnicka @ 2004-09-16 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Good evening.

Many thanks for your answer. If it doesn't work for `small steps (<1s)',
it's probably useless, since for a smooth motion at least 15 frames per
seconds are needed. But anyway, what is `svg'? Where can I see `dante XV
presentation'?

And one more question: Is sounds as system-dependent as movies? If not,
how can I integrate it in a PDF document?

Many thanks and greetings.
Yours
Michal Kvasnicka

> sure, you can let a javascript toggle the states; however, small steps
> (<1 sec) are not to be trusted in precission, since they also depend
> on the machine; they also kind of block other actions since there is
> no concept of animation in pdf (apart from svg, which is poorly
> implemented/integrated).
> Another method is demonstrated in the 'dante XV' presentation (runs
> slightly faster on a mac than on windows);
> Hans

* Re: Metapost animation
@ 2005-05-19 14:28       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2005-05-19 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Michal Kvasnicka wrote:
>
>> Hm. Do you quote the Metafun manual, section 13.6? I know this
>> technique. But my question was different: Is it possible to `animate'
>> the fieldstack? In other words, to make it change one figure to
>> another automatically, without clicking anywhere, changing one frame
>> to another each 1/n second to simulate a smoth motion like in a cinema?
>
> sure, you can let a javascript toggle the states; however, small steps
> (<1 sec) are not to be trusted in precission, since they also depend on
> the machine; they also kind of block other actions since there is no
> concept of animation in pdf (apart from svg, which is poorly
> implemented/integrated).
> Another method is demonstrated in the 'dante XV' presentation (runs
> slightly faster on a mac than on windows);
> Hans

Can someone please post any example of JavaScript code to "toggle the
states" like in either http://www.math.muni.cz/~plch/nkpm/nradanm6.pdf
or https://www.pragma-pod.com/present/talks/fifteen.pdf?

I produced the graphics as explained in the section 13.6 of the metafun
manual, but I would like to press the button only once at the beginning
of the animation instead of twenty times.

Thank you very much,
	Mojca Miklavec

* Re: Metapost animation
@ 2005-05-19 14:39         ` luigi.scarso
From: luigi.scarso @ 2005-05-19 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Can someone please post any example of JavaScript code to "toggle the
> states" like in either http://www.math.muni.cz/~plch/nkpm/nradanm6.pdf
> or https://www.pragma-pod.com/present/talks/fifteen.pdf?

I hope this can help you:

http://www.fi.muni.cz/~xholecek/animations/