* where to place \index (again)
@ 2011-06-26 12:54 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2011-06-26 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing ConTeXt users list for

Hi all,

I'm in the final phase of editing a scholarly book with a pretty big index. What follows is less a question than an observation: no matter where I place the \index command, there can always be unwanted side effects:

foo\index{bar}: here, the entry may point to the page following the name, if the page break falls at this position. Moreover, when this is followed by punctuation or footnotes, there may be a line break between the word and the punctuation/footnote mark. Placing it at the end of a long footnote is asking for even more trouble, because there's a real risk that a page break may occur.

\index{bar}foo: the book is typeset with character protrusion, and this seems to introduce additional material which can disturb line endings, so that lines before such an indexed word appear to be missing one character at the end.

So this is what I observe. Working around this is possible, but painful - I have to check every page for such bad linebreaks or misplaced punctuation marks. My question then is: will it be possible, at one point in luatex development, to find a more robust solution for this? This would be wonderful, I think!

All best

Thomas

* Re: where to place \index (again)
@ 2011-06-26 16:35 ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2011-06-26 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 26.06.2011 um 14:54 schrieb Thomas A. Schmitz:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm in the final phase of editing a scholarly book with a pretty big index. What follows is less a question than an observation: no matter where I place the \index command, there can always be unwanted side effects:
>
> foo\index{bar}: here, the entry may point to the page following the name, if the page break falls at this position. Moreover, when this is followed by punctuation or footnotes, there may be a line break between the word and the punctuation/footnote mark. Placing it at the end of a long footnote is asking for even more trouble, because there's a real risk that a page break may occur.
>
> \index{bar}foo: the book is typeset with character protrusion, and this seems to introduce additional material which can disturb line endings, so that lines before such an indexed word appear to be missing one character at the end.
>
> So this is what I observe. Working around this is possible, but painful - I have to check every page for such bad linebreaks or misplaced punctuation marks. My question then is: will it be possible, at one point in luatex development, to find a more robust solution for this? This would be wonderful, I think!

So do I ... Below is a minimal showing both unhappy cases.

Steffen
-------

Anfang der weitergeleiteten E-Mail:

@ 2011-06-26 17:47 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-06-26 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26-6-2011 2:54, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm in the final phase of editing a scholarly book with a pretty big index. What follows is less a question than an observation: no matter where I place the \index command, there can always be unwanted side effects:
>
> foo\index{bar}: here, the entry may point to the page following the name, if the page break falls at this position. Moreover, when this is followed by punctuation or footnotes, there may be a line break between the word and the punctuation/footnote mark. Placing it at the end of a long footnote is asking for even more trouble, because there's a real risk that a page break may occur.
>
> \index{bar}foo: the book is typeset with character protrusion, and this seems to introduce additional material which can disturb line endings, so that lines before such an indexed word appear to be missing one character at the end.
>
> So this is what I observe. Working around this is possible, but painful - I have to check every page for such bad linebreaks or misplaced punctuation marks. My question then is: will it be possible, at one point in luatex development, to find a more robust solution for this? This would be wonderful, I think!

\index is connected to the next word or when on a line on it own as in
\chapter{x} \index{x} <emptyline> text to the next paragraph

concerning the character protrusion: that looks like a bug so if we can
have a small example demonstrating it ... esp the disappearing character
is weird

(I can introduce a couple of processing modes if needed, but then you
have to check if an index entry points to a word starting on a previous
page. In any case, changing the default behaviour might have other side
effects for existing documents.)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-06-26 19:13   ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2011-06-26 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 26.06.2011 um 19:47 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> On 26-6-2011 2:54, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm in the final phase of editing a scholarly book with a pretty big index. What follows is less a question than an observation: no matter where I place the \index command, there can always be unwanted side effects:
>>
>> foo\index{bar}: here, the entry may point to the page following the name, if the page break falls at this position. Moreover, when this is followed by punctuation or footnotes, there may be a line break between the word and the punctuation/footnote mark. Placing it at the end of a long footnote is asking for even more trouble, because there's a real risk that a page break may occur.
>>
>> \index{bar}foo: the book is typeset with character protrusion, and this seems to introduce additional material which can disturb line endings, so that lines before such an indexed word appear to be missing one character at the end.
>>
>> So this is what I observe. Working around this is possible, but painful - I have to check every page for such bad linebreaks or misplaced punctuation marks. My question then is: will it be possible, at one point in luatex development, to find a more robust solution for this? This would be wonderful, I think!
>
> \index is connected to the next word or when on a line on it own as in \chapter{x} \index{x} <emptyline> text to the next paragraph
>
> concerning the character protrusion: that looks like a bug so if we can have a small example demonstrating it ... esp the disappearing character is weird

Sure, the minimal example that I posted already twice shows exactly this case:
The line before an indexed word appears to be missing one character at the end.

See "Case 2" in attached example, please.

Steffen
-------

@ 2011-06-26 19:29     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-06-26 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hans Hagen, Steffen Wolfrum, Thomas A. Schmitz

Am 26.06.2011 um 21:13 schrieb Steffen Wolfrum:

>> concerning the character protrusion: that looks like a bug so if we can have a small example demonstrating it ... esp the disappearing character is weird
>
> Sure, the minimal example that I posted already twice shows exactly this case:
> The line before an indexed word appears to be missing one character at the end.

You should try to make shorter examples ;)

\setuplayout[width=6.3cm]\showframe
%\let\forcecolorhack\relax
\starttext
This is a short sentence to check \index{test}the \tex{index} command.

This is another sentence for the test\index{test}.
\stoptext

The problem when you put the \index command before a word is that
it can end in a visible space at the end of the previous line.

Wolfgang

* Re: where to place \index (again)
@ 2011-06-26 20:18       ` Thomas Schmitz
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Thomas Schmitz @ 2011-06-26 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hans Hagen, Steffen Wolfrum

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 21:29:47 +0200
  Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>
wrote:

> Am 26.06.2011 um 21:13 schrieb Steffen Wolfrum:
>
>>> concerning the character protrusion: that looks like a
>>>bug so if we can have a small example demonstrating it
>>>... esp the disappearing character is weird
>>
>> Sure, the minimal example that I posted already twice
>>shows exactly this case:
>> The line before an indexed word appears to be missing
>>one character at the end.
>

> You should try to make shorter examples ;)
>
> \setuplayout[width=6.3cm]\showframe
> %\let\forcecolorhack\relax
> \starttext
> This is a short sentence to check \index{test}the
>\tex{index} command.
>
> This is another sentence for the test\index{test}.
> \stoptext
>
> The problem when you put the \index command before a
>word is that
> it can end in a visible space at the end of the previous
>line.
>
> Wolfgang

Thanks, Wolfgang. Just to confirm: yes, this short test
does indeed show exactly the effects I was referring to.
So question to Taco: could some lua trickery somehow get
around these nasty effects?  Because they really make
finishing a long project somewhat difficult...

@ 2011-06-26 20:52         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-06-26 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Schmitz

Am 26.06.2011 um 22:18 schrieb Thomas Schmitz:

>> \setuplayout[width=6.3cm]\showframe
>> %\let\forcecolorhack\relax
>> \starttext
>> This is a short sentence to check \index{test}the \tex{index} command.
>> This is another sentence for the test\index{test}.
>> \stoptext
>> The problem when you put the \index command before a word is that
>> it can end in a visible space at the end of the previous line.
>> Wolfgang
> Thanks, Wolfgang. Just to confirm: yes, this short test does indeed show exactly the effects I was referring to. So question to Taco: could some lua trickery somehow get around these nasty effects?  Because they really make finishing a long project somewhat difficult...

The effect is caused by \forcecolorhack and when uncomment
my redefinition you can see that the output is as expected
but there has to be a reason why Hans use it.

Wolfgang

* Re: where to place \index (again)
@ 2011-06-27  7:38         ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2011-06-27  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 26.06.2011 um 22:18 schrieb Thomas Schmitz:

> On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 21:29:47 +0200
> Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Sure, the minimal example that I posted already twice shows exactly this case: The line before an indexed word appears to be missing one character at the end.
>> You should try to make shorter examples ;)
>> \setuplayout[width=6.3cm]\showframe
>> %\let\forcecolorhack\relax
>> \starttext
>> This is a short sentence to check \index{test}the \tex{index} command.
>> This is another sentence for the test\index{test}.
>> \stoptext
>> The problem when you put the \index command before a word is that
>> it can end in a visible space at the end of the previous line.
>> Wolfgang
> Thanks, Wolfgang. Just to confirm: yes, this short test does indeed show exactly the effects I was referring to. So question to Taco: could some lua trickery somehow get around these nasty effects?  Because they really make finishing a long project somewhat difficult...

For the first case you describe theres is already a tracker item:

http://tracker.luatex.org/view.php?id=381

Steffen

* Re: where to place \index (again)
@ 2011-06-27 16:01         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-06-27 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26-6-2011 10:18, Thomas Schmitz wrote:

> Thanks, Wolfgang. Just to confirm: yes, this short test does indeed show
> exactly the effects I was referring to. So question to Taco: could some
> lua trickery somehow get around these nasty effects? Because they really
> make finishing a long project somewhat difficult...

you can't blame taco for that -)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-06-27 18:01           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-06-27 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wolfgang Schuster

On 26-6-2011 10:52, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 26.06.2011 um 22:18 schrieb Thomas Schmitz:
>
>>> \setuplayout[width=6.3cm]\showframe
>>> %\let\forcecolorhack\relax
>>> \starttext
>>> This is a short sentence to check \index{test}the \tex{index} command.
>>> This is another sentence for the test\index{test}.
>>> \stoptext
>>> The problem when you put the \index command before a word is that
>>> it can end in a visible space at the end of the previous line.
>>> Wolfgang
>> Thanks, Wolfgang. Just to confirm: yes, this short test does indeed show exactly the effects I was referring to. So question to Taco: could some lua trickery somehow get around these nasty effects?  Because they really make finishing a long project somewhat difficult...
>
> The effect is caused by \forcecolorhack and when uncomment
> my redefinition you can see that the output is as expected
> but there has to be a reason why Hans use it.

the colorhack is needed to getsomething with a reference; i'll change it
to a signal (let's see where that fails)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE