* math-ams.tex: \triangleup?
@ 2004-08-01 18:11 Christopher Creutzig
From: Christopher Creutzig @ 2004-08-01 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Hans,

  math-ams.tex defines \triangledown, but for symmetry it should
imhoalso define \triangleup:

\definemathsymbol [triangleup]        [ord]   [ma] ["4D]

The symbol is currently only defined as \vartriangle, but that is a
relation.

regards,
	Christopher Creutzig

* Re: math-ams.tex: \triangleup?
@ 2004-09-11  8:05 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-09-11  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christopher Creutzig wrote:

> Dear Hans,
>
>  math-ams.tex defines \triangledown, but for symmetry it should
> imhoalso define \triangleup:
>
> \definemathsymbol [triangleup]        [ord]   [ma] ["4D]
>
> The symbol is currently only defined as \vartriangle, but that is a
> relation.

ok, done, but it's the sams as vartriangle (i suppose that math guru's know the difference in usage -)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: math-ams.tex: \triangleup?
@ 2004-09-29  8:24   ` Christopher Creutzig
From: Christopher Creutzig @ 2004-09-29  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

>> \definemathsymbol [triangleup]        [ord]   [ma] ["4D]
>>
>> The symbol is currently only defined as \vartriangle, but that is a
>> relation.
>

> ok, done, but it's the sams as vartriangle (i suppose that math guru's
> know the difference in usage -)

  The spacing around it is different, ord vs. rel.  Those who don't see
the difference may not deserve it. :-)

regards,
	Christopher Creutzig

* Math Diagrams in ConTeXt
@ 2004-09-29 18:53     ` Matthias Weber
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Matthias Weber @ 2004-09-29 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

I  need to typeset a few (simple) diagrams in ConTeXt,
like the ones mathematicians use, with arrows. In LaTeX, one can use
pictex or DCpic. The latter claims also to work with ConTeXt, but I
couldn't find
an example. Has anybody managed to do something like this?
(essentially, I only need something like

      Math Text  ---------->  Math Text  ---------->  Math Text

           v                                     v
      Math Text  ---------->  Math Text  ---------->  Math Text

sometimes also with diagonal arrows).

Thanks

* Re: Math Diagrams in ConTeXt
@ 2004-09-29 20:07       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2004-09-29 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 29.09.2004 um 20:53 schrieb Matthias Weber:
> I  need to typeset a few (simple) diagrams in ConTeXt,
> like the ones mathematicians use, with arrows. In LaTeX, one can use
> pictex or DCpic. The latter claims also to work with ConTeXt, but I
> couldn't find
> an example. Has anybody managed to do something like this?
> (essentially, I only need something like
>
> sometimes also with diagonal arrows).

Without diagonal arrows you could use the flow charts module.

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/

* Re: Math Diagrams in ConTeXt
@ 2004-09-29 20:53         ` Matthias Weber
From: Matthias Weber @ 2004-09-29 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks -- while it looks really nice, I do need diagonal arrows.

However, after some experimenting, I catually managed to get DCpic to
work. It is just a plain TeX file,
I was only scared by the .sty name.

If somebody else runs into the same problem, here is a short example,
for reference. You will need dcpic.sty in  your path first. Then
one can create diagrams as follows:

\usemodule[pictexwd]
\input dcpic.sty

\starttext

\begindc{\commdiag}
\obj(1,2){$V_i$}
\obj(3,1){$V'$}
\obj(3,3){$V$}
\mor{$V_i$}{$V$}{$f_i$}
\mor{$V_i$}{$V'$}{$f_i'$}[-1,0]
\mor{$V$}{$V'$}{$f$}
\enddc

\stoptext

Matthias

On Sep 29, 2004, at 3:07 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> Am 29.09.2004 um 20:53 schrieb Matthias Weber:
>> I  need to typeset a few (simple) diagrams in ConTeXt,
>> like the ones mathematicians use, with arrows. In LaTeX, one can use
>> pictex or DCpic. The latter claims also to work with ConTeXt, but I
>> couldn't find
>> an example. Has anybody managed to do something like this?
>> (essentially, I only need something like
>>
>> sometimes also with diagonal arrows).
>
> Without diagonal arrows you could use the flow charts module.
>
> Grüßlis vom Hraban!
> ---
> http://www.fiee.net/texnique/

* Re: Math Diagrams in ConTeXt
@ 2004-09-29 21:01       ` Brooks Moses
From: Brooks Moses @ 2004-09-29 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 11:53 AM 9/29/2004, you wrote:
>I need to typeset a few (simple) diagrams in ConTeXt,
>like the ones mathematicians use, with arrows. In LaTeX, one can use
>pictex or DCpic. The latter claims also to work with ConTeXt, but I
>couldn't find an example. Has anybody managed to do something like this?

Why not use MetaPost?  With all of ConTeXt's features for doing in-document
MetaPost code, this would be the perfect solution for your problem.  Have a
look at Hans's MetaFUN manual for a good starting point on using it.

Also, I believe the original MetaPost manual has some examples of figures
very much like the ones that you want to draw.

- Brooks

* Re: Math Diagrams in ConTeXt
@ 2004-09-30  8:08       ` Eckhart Guthöhrlein
From: Eckhart Guthöhrlein @ 2004-09-30  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 01:53:23PM -0500, Matthias Weber wrote:
> I  need to typeset a few (simple) diagrams in ConTeXt,

Hi,

although you already have solved your problem, I encourage you to have a
look at the metaobj package for metapost. The 'PSTricks/METAOBJ gallery'
part of the manual (p. 93ff) shows some diagrams you will surely like.

Greetings,

--
Eckhart