* strange behavior of MetaFun
@ 2004-10-03 22:56 Sun Minchao
From: Sun Minchao @ 2004-10-03 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

recently I've installed ConTeXt and after all the complicated configurations I could finally write my first chinese text, but as I tried MetaFun today, I got very strange error message: I tried to compile the trivial sample on the first page of "metafun-p.pdf":

\starttext
\startuseMPgraphic{dummy}
fill fullcircle scaled 5cm withcolor red ;
\stopuseMPgraphic
\useMPgraphic{dummy}
\stoptext

I invoked "texexec test", after some messages scrolled by it stopped and show:

!Equation cannot be performed (numeric=boolean)
local_multi_par_area:=false;

I traced to that line in the file "test-mpgraph.mp" which has been produced by texexec in the first step and I simply deleted it, then I ran "mpost test-mpgraph" manually and got "test-mpgraph.1" without any problem, but as I viewed it with GSview there was only a quarter of disc, which should be a 5cm filled circle. I've also tried with other Metapost files but got always the same result: that line will always be added to the intermedia file. I think it's not because of a wrong configuration of ConTeXt but something "deep inside".
btw. I'm using MikTeX 2.2, ActivePerl 5.8, ConTeXt is the newest version while TeXExec somehow old (v3.1), but I don't think the problem lies there because exept metapost the other part works well, for the configuration of MetaFun I've done following:

I first edited the corresponding part of /texmf/context/config/texexec.ini to be suited to MikTeX, then after refreshing MikTeX name database I did a "texexec --make --alone metafun", it produced metafun.mem in /localtexmf/miktex/fmt, I moved it then to /localtexmf/miktex/mem

now I absolutely have no idea about it... I would be very thankful if someone can tell how to fix around, besides I do want to know what's wrong.

Best regards,
Minchao

* Re: strange behavior of MetaFun
@ 2004-10-04 16:45 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-10-04 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sun Minchao wrote:

> /Hi,/
> //
> /recently I've installed ConTeXt and after all the complicated
> configurations I could finally write my first chinese text, but as I
> tried MetaFun today, I got very strange error message: I tried to
> compile the trivial sample on the first page of "metafun-p.pdf":/
> //
> /\starttext
> \startuseMPgraphic{dummy}
> fill fullcircle scaled 5cm withcolor red ;
> \stopuseMPgraphic
> \useMPgraphic{dummy}
> \stoptext/
> //
> /I invoked "texexec test", after some messages scrolled by it stopped
> and show: /
> //
> !Equation cannot be performed (numeric=boolean)
> local_multi_par_area:=false;
>
> /I traced to that line in the file "test-mpgraph.mp" which has been
> produced by texexec in the first step and I simply deleted it, then I
> ran "mpost test-mpgraph" manually and got "test-mpgraph.1" without any
> problem, but as I viewed it with GSview there was only a quarter of
> disc, which should be a 5cm filled circle. I've also tried with other
> Metapost files but got always the same result: that line will always be
> added to the intermedia file. I think it's not because of a wrong
> configuration of ConTeXt but something "deep inside". /
> /btw. I'm using MikTeX 2.2, ActivePerl 5.8, ConTeXt is the newest
> version while TeXExec somehow old (v3.1), but I don't think the problem
> lies there because exept metapost the other part works well, for the
> configuration of MetaFun I've done following:/
> //
> /I first edited the corresponding part of
> /texmf/context/config/texexec.ini to be suited to MikTeX, then after
> refreshing MikTeX name database I did a "texexec --make --alone
> metafun", it produced metafun.mem in /localtexmf/miktex/fmt, I moved it
> then to /localtexmf/miktex/mem/
> //
> /now I absolutely have no idea about it... I would be very thankful if
> someone can tell how to fix around, besides I do want to know what's wrong./

it look slike you have a mixed up system:

make sure that there is

   metapost/context/base -> files

and not at the same time:

   metapost/context -> files

the extra level base has been added about a year ago.

After fixing this, run

   texexec --make --alone metafun

and make sure that the mem files goes to where it belongs

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE