* pdftex 1.20a and map files
@ 2004-10-12 15:42 Christopher Creutzig
From: Christopher Creutzig @ 2004-10-12 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Salvete,

  I tried upgrading to pdfTeX 1.20a on my powerbook.  I built the
binaries successfully and placed them and their pool files into some
temporary location and I was able to build ConTeXt formats.
Unfortunately, pdftex.map was not found, generated files have just lots
of empty pages.

  I did try "sudo texmfstart textools --fixtexmftrees", but that did not
move pdftex.map from its place in dvips/config.  I tried to follow the
NEWS file in the pdftex distribution, but that only lists two
non-existant URLs at tug.org to find information.  The list archive of
tex-live seems to have moved and to be inaccessible to non-subscribers.
  Not wanting yet another mailing list, I just don't have access to this
vital piece of information, which imho should be listed right in the
NEWS file.

  Where is pdftex.map and the likes supposed to be for 1.20a?

regards,
	Christopher Creutzig

* Re: pdftex 1.20a and map files
@ 2004-10-12 15:57 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-10-12 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christopher Creutzig wrote:

> Salvete,
>
>  I tried upgrading to pdfTeX 1.20a on my powerbook.  I built the
> binaries successfully and placed them and their pool files into some
> temporary location and I was able to build ConTeXt formats.
> Unfortunately, pdftex.map was not found, generated files have just lots
> of empty pages.
>
>  I did try "sudo texmfstart textools --fixtexmftrees", but that did not
> move pdftex.map from its place in dvips/config.  I tried to follow the
> NEWS file in the pdftex distribution, but that only lists two
> non-existant URLs at tug.org to find information.  The list archive of
> tex-live seems to have moved and to be inaccessible to non-subscribers.
>  Not wanting yet another mailing list, I just don't have access to this
> vital piece of information, which imho should be listed right in the
> NEWS file.

textools --fixtexmftrees c:\tex\texmf-local [--force]

and alike will fix the tree (map files are now under /fonts/map) and you
need to change the texmf.cnf file accordingly

TEXPSHEADERS  =
.;$TEXMF/{fonts/{enc,map,type1,truetype},dvips,pdftex,tex}//;$TEXMF/{etex,tex,pdftex,dvips,fonts/type1}//
TEXFONTMAPS   =
.;$TEXMF/{fonts/map//,fontname};$TEXMF/{pdftex,dvips}/config;$TEXMF/{pdftex,dvips}//

TEXCONFIG         = .;$TEXMF/{fonts/map,dvips,pdftex,dvipdfmx,dvipdfm}//
PDFTEXCONFIG      = .;$TEXMF/pdftex/{$progname,}//
DVIPDFMINPUTS     = .;$TEXMF/{fonts/map,dvips,pdftex,dvipdfmx,dvipdfm}//

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: pdftex 1.20a and map files
@ 2004-10-13 18:41   ` Christopher Creutzig
From: Christopher Creutzig @ 2004-10-13 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> textools --fixtexmftrees c:\tex\texmf-local [--force]
>
> and alike will fix the tree (map files are now under /fonts/map) and you

  Thanks for the info, fixtexmftrees forgot some files (such as pdftex.map).

> need to change the texmf.cnf file accordingly

  In your list, one entry is missing:

ENCFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/enc//

  I still think this information should be listed in the NEWS file of
pdftex -- you are one of the fine guys one should ask for things like
these, right?

  As an aside, a surprising observation: When using a cont-en.efmt
generated with pdftex 1.20a, but a 1.10b binary (user error, true),
ConTeXt still worked, just “forgot” to actually include metapost
graphics.  (Metapost was called, though.)

regards,
	Christopher Creutzig