* stretched text
@ 2004-10-25 14:06 Piotr Kopszak
From: Piotr Kopszak @ 2004-10-25 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I know it's a bad habit to use stretched text, but apparently
formerly people thought differently. I am typesetting old quotations
and would not want to replace stretched text simply by emphasized. Is
it absolutely discouraged in ConTeXt or is there any way to have
it... (in spite of its ugliness).

Piotr

--
   Piotr Kopszak, Ph.D.
   Polish Art Gallery, National Museum in Warsaw

* Re: stretched text
@ 2004-10-25 15:28 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-10-25 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

> I know it's a bad habit to use stretched text, but apparently
> formerly people thought differently. I am typesetting old quotations
> and would not want to replace stretched text simply by emphasized. Is
> it absolutely discouraged in ConTeXt or is there any way to have
> it... (in spite of its ugliness).

See:

http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20020215.201212.09ddd4a6.html

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki: http://contextgarden.net

* Re: stretched text
@ 2004-10-25 15:32 ` Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2004-10-25 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:06:10 +0200
kopszak@mnw.art.pl (Piotr Kopszak) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I know it's a bad habit to use stretched text, but apparently
> formerly people thought differently. I am typesetting old quotations
> and would not want to replace stretched text simply by emphasized. Is
> it absolutely discouraged in ConTeXt or is there any way to have
> it... (in spite of its ugliness).

It's still recommended in certain cases, for example in all capital or
small cap titles. Sometimes I do it and sometimes not.

You can do it in Context. See:

http://home.salamander.com/~wmcclain/context-help.html#typography-letterspacing

You might have to look into the sources to find other options.

-Bill
--
Sattre Press                                    In the Quarter
http://sattre-press.com/                 by Robert W. Chambers

* Re: stretched text
@ 2004-10-26 14:04   ` Piotr Kopszak
From: Piotr Kopszak @ 2004-10-26 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 10:32:53AM -0500, Bill McClain wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:06:10 +0200
> kopszak@mnw.art.pl (Piotr Kopszak) wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I know it's a bad habit to use stretched text, but apparently
> > formerly people thought differently. I am typesetting old quotations
> > and would not want to replace stretched text simply by emphasized. Is
> > it absolutely discouraged in ConTeXt or is there any way to have
> > it... (in spite of its ugliness).
>
> It's still recommended in certain cases, for example in all capital or
> small cap titles. Sometimes I do it and sometimes not.
>
> You can do it in Context. See:
>
> http://home.salamander.com/~wmcclain/context-help.html#typography-letterspacing
>
> You might have to look into the sources to find other options.
>
> -Bill

Right, but as far as I understand this solution:

       \def\CapStretchAmount{.08em}
       \def\CapStretch#1{\def\stretchedspaceamount{\CapStretchAmount}\stretchednormalcase{#1}}

       Which is used as so:

       \CapStretch{\sc The King in Yellow}

applies only to small caps?

Piotr

--

@ 2004-10-26 14:16     ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2004-10-26 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Piotr Kopszak wrote:

>Right, but as far as I understand this solution:
>       \def\CapStretchAmount{.08em}
>       \def\CapStretch#1{\def\stretchedspaceamount{\CapStretchAmount}\stretchednormalcase{#1}}
>
>       Which is used as so:
>
>       \CapStretch{\sc The King in Yellow}
>
>applies only to small caps?

If you leave out the \sc, it works also for small letters:

       \CapStretch{The King in Yellow}

Though one can argue that then the macros should be renamed:
  \def\StretchAmount ...
  \def\Stretch#1 ...

Tobias

* Re: stretched text
@ 2004-10-26 14:50     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-10-26 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Piotr Kopszak wrote:

> Right, but as far as I understand this solution:
>
>        \def\CapStretchAmount{.08em}
>        \def\CapStretch#1{\def\stretchedspaceamount{\CapStretchAmount}\stretchednormalcase{#1}}
>
>        Which is used as so:
>
>        \CapStretch{\sc The King in Yellow}
>
> applies only to small caps?

grep stretch core-fnt.tex