* Getting linuxtex.zip working
@ 2004-10-31 22:34 Nikolai Weibull
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2004-10-31 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Exactly what do I need to do after running setuptex, mktexlsr, and
texexec --make --alone?  PATH needs permanent updating for sure, but
what else?  texexec won't work (kpsewhich won't work) unless setuptex is
sourced before I try running it in a fresh shell.  What am I missing in
my setup?
	nikolai

::: page: www.pcppopper.org  :: fun atm: gf,lps,ruby,lisp,war3 :::

* Re: Getting linuxtex.zip working
@ 2004-11-01  9:36 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-11-01  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nikolai Weibull wrote:

> Exactly what do I need to do after running setuptex, mktexlsr, and
> texexec --make --alone?  PATH needs permanent updating for sure, but
> what else?  texexec won't work (kpsewhich won't work) unless setuptex is
> sourced before I try running it in a fresh shell.  What am I missing in
> my setup?

you can add the call to setuptex to your local profile

. /path-to/setuptex /path-to

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2004-11-01 14:22   ` Nikolai Weibull
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2004-11-01 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> [Nov 01, 2004 13:55]:
> > Exactly what do I need to do after running setuptex, mktexlsr, and
> > texexec --make --alone?  PATH needs permanent updating for sure, but
> > what else?  texexec won't work (kpsewhich won't work) unless
> > setuptex is sourced before I try running it in a fresh shell.  What
> > am I missing in my setup?

> you can add the call to setuptex to your local profile

> . /path-to/setuptex /path-to

Sure, but what variables are actually necessary to export and, more
interestingly, why are they needed in the environment at all?  When
running from tetex everything works fine.  I'm guessing this is mostly
due to differences between stuff in tetex 2.0.2 and more recent releases
of software, but I still can't see why it would be necessary to fill the
environment with some 10-20 variables.
	nikolai (the environmentalist)

::: page: www.pcppopper.org  :: fun atm: gf,lps,ruby,lisp,war3 :::

* Re: Re: Getting linuxtex.zip working
@ 2004-11-01 14:39     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-11-01 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nikolai Weibull wrote:

> * Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> [Nov 01, 2004 13:55]:
>
>>>Exactly what do I need to do after running setuptex, mktexlsr, and
>>>texexec --make --alone?  PATH needs permanent updating for sure, but
>>>what else?  texexec won't work (kpsewhich won't work) unless
>>>setuptex is sourced before I try running it in a fresh shell.  What
>>>am I missing in my setup?
>

>>you can add the call to setuptex to your local profile
>

>>. /path-to/setuptex /path-to
>

> Sure, but what variables are actually necessary to export and, more
> interestingly, why are they needed in the environment at all?  When
> running from tetex everything works fine.  I'm guessing this is mostly
> due to differences between stuff in tetex 2.0.2 and more recent releases
> of software, but I still can't see why it would be necessary to fill the
> environment with some 10-20 variables.
> 	nikolai (the environmentalist)

setuptex exports the variables for you; if you look in that file, you
can see that i define all critical variables

the problem with tetex (last time i installed it) is that it sets paths
and other things in ways that make parallel distributions painful; also,
i dislike sorting out all kind of unexpected side effects due to
settings of texinput paths, home directory stuff, texmf.cnf files not
being in theirnatural place (it seems that some unix distributions
prefer the etc path)

so, the idea of setuptex is that you can have tetex and anytex on your
system and still use a minimal context which, when setuptex is ran, is
completely isolated

(al also add some more trees, like texmf-project, texmf-fonts which are
not set by other tes distributions)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2004-11-02  7:40       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2004-11-02  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 01.11.2004 um 15:39 schrieb Hans Hagen:
> setuptex exports the variables for you; if you look in that file, you
> can see that i define all critical variables

Strangely it doesn't (at least on MacOS X). I know shell scripts and I
had to adapt it to MacOS X a bit; the variables are defined in the
script, but don't get exported!
I copied everything (a bit simplified) to my .bash_profile, and then it
works (but not good yet - kpsewhich can't find pool files etc. seems to
be the old path problem again. I hate kpsewhich!)

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/

* Re: Re: Getting linuxtex.zip working
@ 2004-11-02 10:14         ` Uwe Koloska
From: Uwe Koloska @ 2004-11-02 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> Am 01.11.2004 um 15:39 schrieb Hans Hagen:
> Strangely it doesn't (at least on MacOS X). I know shell scripts and I
> had to adapt it to MacOS X a bit; the variables are defined in the
> script, but don't get exported!

are you sure, you are using bash _and_ you have used the command
'.'?  This command evaluates the given script in the context of the
running shell.  If you only run the script, it gets its own subshell
and the variables are set (and exported) in this subshell but not in
the calling shell!

Uwe

--
voiceINTERconnect www.voiceinterconnect.de
... smart speech applications from germany