* m-bib, \cite and no year?
@ 2004-11-23 12:53 Christopher Creutzig
From: Christopher Creutzig @ 2004-11-23 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Salve Taco,

  I'm using m-bib, with

\setupbibtex[database=literatur,sort=author]
\setuppublications[sort=bbl,refcommand=authoryear,numbering=yes]

This leads to three problems:

  First, I do have entries such as

@Misc{Wikipedia,
   key =          {Wikipedia},
   title = 	 {Wikipedia, the free online encyclopedia},
   howpublished = {\gotoURL{http://wikipedia.com}}
}

with no year entry, and this comes out as "Wikipedia ()".  I think the
parens should only be used if the year is nonempty.

  Second, I getempty entries in my list of references, which do get a
number.  Also, the first 20 numbers are printed in red, while the
subsequent entries are in black.  I know this is a vague description, I
haven't been able to analyze it in more detail yet.  Just wanted to let
you know.

  Third, I have entries in my bibliography where the authors are listed
with their family names only.  This causes spurious commas in the list
of references.  I'll probably add initials and/or chrisitan names where
I know them, but I think m-bib should support these entries.

@inproceedings{corless97sequence,
     author = "Corless and Jeffrey and Knuth",
     title = {{A Sequence of Series for the Lambert {W} Function}},
     booktitle = "{ISSAC}: Proceedings of the {ACM} {SIGSAM}
International Symposium on Symbolic and Algebraic Computation (formerly
{SYMSAM}, {SYMSAC}, {EUROSAM}, {EUROCAL}) (also sometimes in cooperation
with the Symbolic and Algebraic Manipulation Groupe in Europe ({SAME}))",
     year = "1997",
     url = "citeseer.ist.psu.edu/corless97sequence.html" }

  As an aside: Does m-bib provide a way of including page numbers etc.
in the citation?  (For authoryear style, this would be overkill, but for
other styles, I think "[233, p. 40]" to be pretty readable and helpful.)

regards and keep up the good work,
	Christopher

* Re: m-bib, \cite and no year?
@ 2004-11-23 13:07 ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2004-11-23 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Christopher Creutzig wrote:

>  First, I do have entries such as
> @Misc{Wikipedia,
> with no year entry, and this comes out as "Wikipedia ()".  I think the
> parens should only be used if the year is nonempty.

Side note: The Oxford Guide to Style suggestes for online publication to
add something like "accessed 23 November 2004".

> Second, I getempty entries in my list of references, which do get a
> number.  Also, the first 20 numbers are printed in red, while the
> subsequent entries are in black.  I know this is a vague description,
> I haven't been able to analyze it in more detail yet.  Just wanted to
> let you know.

Regarding the colours and maybe completely unrelated: I remember such
things when interaction is turned on for elements with are on the same
or on a different page. In that case it helped to set
\setupinteraction[color=blue].

>  As an aside: Does m-bib provide a way of including page numbers etc.
> in the citation?  (For authoryear style, this would be overkill, but
> for other styles, I think "[233, p. 40]" to be pretty readable and
> helpful.)

Maybe something like (untested):

\setupcite[num][left={},right={}]
\def\pagecite[#1][#2]{[\cite[num][#1], p.~#2]}

Tobias

* Re: m-bib, \cite and no year?
@ 2004-11-24 12:58 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2004-11-24 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Christopher Creutzig <christopher@creutzig.de> wrote:

> with no year entry, and this comes out as "Wikipedia ()".  I think the
> parens should only be used if the year is nonempty.

In authoryear styles, year entries are usually required, so I am going to
keep this as it is now. You can either use \cite[author] for this case, or
you could build your own \cite command, in a similar way to Tobias' answer:

  \setupcite[author,year][left={},right={}]
  \def\mycite[#1]{%
        \setbox\scratchbox\hbox{\cite[year][#1]}%
	\ifdim \wd\scratchbox > 0pt
            \cite[author][#1]~(\cite[year][#]1)%
        \else
            \cite[author][#1]%
       \fi}

(untested code)

>   Second, I getempty entries in my list of references, which do get a
> number.  Also, the first 20 numbers are printed in red, while the
> subsequent entries are in black.  I know this is a vague description, I
> haven't been able to analyze it in more detail yet.  Just wanted to let
> you know.

Too vague for a diagnosis, actually.  You'd need to supply me with a
minimal complete file that recreates the error. There is nothing I can do
with your information right now.

>   Third, I have entries in my bibliography where the authors are listed
> with their family names only.  This causes spurious commas in the list
> of references.  I'll probably add initials and/or chrisitan names where
> I know them, but I think m-bib should support these entries.

I really should, i agree. Added to the todo list.

Greetings, Taco

* Re: m-bib, \cite and no year?
@ 2004-11-30 16:35   ` Christopher Creutzig
From: Christopher Creutzig @ 2004-11-30 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> In authoryear styles, year entries are usually required, so I am going to
> keep this as it is now. You can either use \cite[author] for this case, or
> you could build your own \cite command, in a similar way to Tobias' answer:

  Sorry for bothering you that much.  I'm now using \cite[author], yet
there is one place I can't solve that way, which is cross references:

@Article{dominus04,
   author = 	 {Mark Jason Dominus},
   title = 	 {Slide Rule},
   journal = 	 {Wikipedia},
   year = 	 2004,
   crossref =     {Wikipedia},
   month = 	 May,
   note =
{\gotoURL{http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Slide_rule&oldid=3849585}}
}

@Misc{Wikipedia,
   key =          {Wikipedia},
   title = 	 {Wikipedia, the free online encyclopedia},
   howpublished = {\gotoURL{http://wikipedia.com}}
}

  Not that I plan to use really many wikipedia entries, but the problem
as such seems to exist.  (I am not sure about using @Article here, but
that's another topic.)

  As an aside, there is another problem: The
entry cross-referenced to does not appear – this seems to be a general
problem with cross-references.  I'm using \completepublications, but the
same happens with \placepublications.  (I haven't managed to get the
list sorted by author, either.)

  Another thing I stumbled upon:  Using \type{whatever} in a BibTeX entry
does not work: “whatever” is simply ignored.  (It is intact in the .bbl
file, as in

\startpublication[k=Kulpa,t=misc,
a={Kulpa},y=2004,
n=40,s=Kul04]
\author[]{Zenon}[Z.]{}{Kulpa}
\pubyear{2004}
\month{6}
\pubname{{message \type{200406071815.UAA18036@zmit1.ippt.gov.pl} on the
mailing
   list \type{reliable_computing@interval.louisiana.edu}}}
\stoppublication

where I'm using \type because of the _.)

  Finally, the entry

\startpublication[k=abramowitz,t=book,
a={Abramowitz and Stegun},y=1972,
n=30,s=AS72]
\editor[]{Milton}[M.]{}{Abramowitz}
\editor[]{Irene~A.}[I.~A.]{}{Stegun}
\pubyear{1972}
\title{{Handbook of Mathematical Functions}}
\pubname{Dover Publications}
\edition{ninth}
\stoppublication

is indented by about one interword space relative to the entries not
using \editor.  Which commands do the actual typesetting of the list
entries?  I only got to \@@pbt and was lost ...

regards,
	Christopher Creutzig