* Re: Fw: Re: Update ConTeXt 2004-12-06 for teTeX 2.99.4-beta: map files
       [not found] <20041208133506.3eeebc9f.taco@elvenkind.com>
@ 2004-12-08 13:47 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-12-08 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Toch maar eerst even alleen naar jou ipv naar ntg-pdftex ...
>
> On the ConTeXT list, Thomas Esser stated:
>

>>>1. In ConTeXt all map files are in fonts/map/pdftex/context/*.map
>>
>>That's the wrong location. There is nothing pdftex specific in these
>>files, so the "syntax" is dvips, not pdftex. I have told Hans about it.
>

> Is this really true these days? I remember that in the past pdftex and
> dvips mapfiles have had a number of different options, and I thought that
> was still the case. Is mapfile.c from dvips and pdftex really the same file
> these days?

discussion on the tex live list about files being generic ended up nowhere since
there is nothing generic defined;

i put the files under pdftex because i want the freedom to adapt them to changes
/ bugs / whatever when needed; for instance i (and users) can manipulate these
files by removing font names, which will make them non-dvips;

anyhow, when the new pdftex is distributed and available widely i will probably
no longer use map files but do run-time definitions (using \pdfmapline);
dvipdfmx will provide similar features

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

only message in thread, other threads:[~2004-12-08 13:47 UTC | newest]