* RE: Recommended Books on Typesetting
@ 2004-11-28 19:55 ishamid
From: ishamid @ 2004-11-28 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here is a start:

http://members.aol.com/willadams/books-typography.html

http://members.aol.com/willadams/books-free-type.html

If you only get one get

The Elements of Typographic Style.
Bringhurst, Robert.

Best
Idris

<ntg-context@ntg.nl> =====
>Hi!
>
>I was wondering if anyone has any books to recommend, mainly in the area
>of typesetting, i.e., on TeX, typography, and so on.

Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: Recommended Books on Typesetting
@ 2004-11-29 16:40   ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2004-11-29 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

This would be very nice!

In the case this is to happen, I would suggest to add the following tow
books to the list:

Jan Tschichold. Ausgew\"ahlte Aufs\"atze \"uber die Fragen der Gestalt
des Buches und der Typographie. Birkh\"auser Verlag Basel 2. Auflage.
ISBN-3-7643-1946-1

Some of the articles contained in this book, which is in German, are
translated into Ducht and English.

Phil Baines & Adnrew Haslam. Type & typography.Laurence King Publishing
Ltd London. 2002 ISBN-1-85669-244-2.

Apparently there is a new publication "Thinking with type" by Ellen
Lupton at Princeton Architectural Press. 2004.
http://www.papress.com/bookpage.tpl?isbn=1568984480 and
http://www.thinkingwithtype.com/ A small book (156 p. 20 USD)

Willi

@ 2004-11-28 22:22   ` Nikolai Weibull
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2004-11-28 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

* h h extern <pragma@wxs.nl> [Nov 28, 2004 22:20]:
> > I have also been looking for books by Hermann Zapf, but most seem to
> > be out of print and very, very expensive where available; anyone
> > know if they are worth their steep prices?

> His books (and fonts) are real great! I wish i had them all.

Yeah, I've seen his fonts, but not his books ;-)

> Keep in mind that typography is not per definition the same as
> typesetting; for instance his book covers and posters are good
> examples of 'playing with type', which is not what tex is often used
> for

Yeah, I was not only interested in books on typefaces, but also on
typesetting.  I'm a person who judges a book, not by its cover, but by
its typography and typesetting.
	nikolai

::: page: www.pcppopper.org  :: fun atm: gf,lps,ruby,lisp,war3 :::

* Re: Recommended Books on Typesetting
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-11-28 21:15 ` h h extern
From: h h extern @ 2004-11-28 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I was wondering if anyone has any books to recommend, mainly in the area
> of typesetting, i.e., on TeX, typography, and so on.

i have a bunch but i have to admit that i'm more a browser than a reader; it's
on my to do list to make a list of them

maybe we can compile a nice list of books with 'readers comments'; if someone
collects them i can turn them into a (nice looking) document; it would also make
a nice test for bibtex

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2004-11-28 21:12 ` h h extern
From: h h extern @ 2004-11-28 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2004-11-28 21:06   ` h h extern
From: h h extern @ 2004-11-28 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 28.11.2004 um 20:24 schrieb Nikolai Weibull:
>
>> I was wondering if anyone has any books to recommend, mainly in the area
>> of typesetting, i.e., on TeX, typography, and so on.
>

> If you can read german you should have a look at "Lesetypographie" by
> Hans Peter Willberg & Friedrich Forssman, Verlag Hermann Schmidt, Mainz.
> And nearly every other book by this authors and their publisher
> (www.typographie.de)... ;-)

a nice book indeed; it's still on my list to check all the xamples and make some
howto (well, could be a wiki effort)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2004-11-28 19:54 ` Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2004-11-28 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nikolai Weibull said this at Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:24:18 +0100:

>I am thinking of getting "The Complete Manual of Typography" by James
>Felici, which seems to be a very good book on the subject.

I'm a fan of Bringhurst's "The Elements of Typographic Style." I know
some people don't think much of it, but I still learn something new
whenever I return to it:
 <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0881791326>
 Adam T. Lindsay, Computing Dept.     atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk
 Lancaster University, InfoLab21        +44(0)1524/510.514
 Lancaster, LA1 4WA, UK             Fax:+44(0)1524/510.492

* Re: Recommended Books on Typesetting
@ 2004-11-28 19:51 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2004-11-28 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 28.11.2004 um 20:24 schrieb Nikolai Weibull:
> I was wondering if anyone has any books to recommend, mainly in the
> area
> of typesetting, i.e., on TeX, typography, and so on.

If you can read german you should have a look at "Lesetypographie" by
Hans Peter Willberg & Friedrich Forssman, Verlag Hermann Schmidt,
Mainz. And nearly every other book by this authors and their publisher
(www.typographie.de)... ;-)

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://contextgarden.net

* Recommended Books on Typesetting
@ 2004-11-28 19:24 Nikolai Weibull
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2004-11-28 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone has any books to recommend, mainly in the area
of typesetting, i.e., on TeX, typography, and so on.

Personally, I can recommend Donald E. Knuth's "The TeXbook" and also his
book on MetaFont.