* Hyphenation peculiarity.
@ 2004-12-28 22:54 John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2004-12-28 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I noted that context seems to be most reluctant to hyphenate. So I ran a test
file through plain tex, pdftex and Context and checked the results. Context
hyphenated less than the other two.

The manual does not say much about hyphenation. I am using a fresh TeXLive
install.

Here is the top part of the log-----------------------------------------------
This is pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.20a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.3) (format=cont-en
2004.12.28)  28 DEC 2004 17:14
entering extended mode
 %&-line parsing enabled.
 (/usr/TeX/texmf/web2c/natural.tcx)
**&cont-en hypph.tex
(./hypph.tex

ConTeXt  ver: 2004.11.17  fmt: 2004.12.28  int: english  mes: english

language       : language en is active

Here is the test file--------------------------------------------
\hsize 2in
\input knuth.tex
\bye

It seems to act as if the hyphenation dictionary weren't here. If I put in a
discretionary hyphen  Context will use it.
--
John Culleton

Short list of publishing/marketing books:

* Re: Hyphenation peculiarity.
@ 2004-12-29 14:10 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2004-12-29 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi John,

Your format is probably missing the hyphenation patterns for english
(I ran into the same problem last week):

  # texexec --make en
  language       : no patterns en for en (n=1) (lang-en.pat,ukhyph.tex
  language       : no hyphenations en for en (n=1)
  language       : no patterns uk for uk (n=2) (lang-uk.pat,ukhyph.tex
  language       : no hyphenations uk for uk (n=2)

@ 2004-12-30  0:27   ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2004-12-30  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday 29 December 2004 09:10, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Your format is probably missing the hyphenation patterns for english
> (I ran into the same problem last week):
>

>   # texexec --make en
>   language       : no patterns en for en (n=1) (lang-en.pat,ukhyph.tex
>   language       : no hyphenations en for en (n=1)
>   language       : no patterns uk for uk (n=2) (lang-uk.pat,ukhyph.tex
>   language       : no hyphenations uk for uk (n=2)
>
> John Culleton wrote:
> > I noted that context seems to be most reluctant to hyphenate. So I ran a
> > test file through plain tex, pdftex and Context and checked the results.
> > Context hyphenated less than the other two.
> >
> > The manual does not say much about hyphenation. I am using a fresh
> > TeXLive install.
> >
> > Here is the top part of the
> > log----------------------------------------------- This is pdfeTeXk,
> > Version 3.141592-1.20a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.3) (format=cont-en 2004.12.28)  28
> > DEC 2004 17:14
> > entering extended mode
> >  %&-line parsing enabled.
> >  (/usr/TeX/texmf/web2c/natural.tcx)
> > **&cont-en hypph.tex
> > (./hypph.tex
> >
> > ConTeXt  ver: 2004.11.17  fmt: 2004.12.28  int: english  mes: english
> >
> > language       : language en is active
> >
> > Here is the test file--------------------------------------------
> > \hsize 2in
> > \input knuth.tex
> > \bye
> >
> > It seems to act as if the hyphenation dictionary weren't here. If I put
> > in a discretionary hyphen  Context will use it.

Thanks for your prompt reply. I did
texexec --make en nl
and got reams of output. I moved the resulting format to the place where the
original cont-en.fmt existed. Then I did texhash just to make sure.
Then I ran some tests. The results were the same as the earlier results this
month.

I happen to have the perfect test case. I have an incomplete book that I last
ran through Context in April. I have both the source and resulting pdf. The
April result was hyphenated. The December results were not. The results were
identical before and after running texexec --make en nl etc.

Should I download Context from Pragma and reinstall from scratch? Or just find
an older version on a cdr somewhere?  Other suggestions?
--

@ 2004-12-30  9:30     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2004-12-30  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi John,

John Culleton wrote:
> texexec --make en nl
>
> Should I download Context from Pragma and reinstall from scratch? Or just find
> an older version on a cdr somewhere?  Other suggestions?

Check if you see these lines during the "texexec --make" run
(or in the log file, afterwards)

  language       : no patterns en for en (n=1) (lang-en.pat,ukhyph.tex
  language       : no hyphenations en for en (n=1)
  language       : no patterns uk for uk (n=2) (lang-uk.pat,ukhyph.tex
  language       : no hyphenations uk for uk (n=2)

if this is the case, then your hyphenation patterns have an unexpected
name (perhaps "ukhyphen.tex"?). I solved my problems by

	cp hyphen.tex lang-en.pat
	cp ukhyphen.tex lang-uk.pat
        mktexlsr

but you probably need somehwat different filenames

Good luck,

Taco

* Re: Hyphenation peculiarity.
@ 2004-12-30 14:25       ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2004-12-30 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday 30 December 2004 04:30, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> John Culleton wrote:
> > texexec --make en nl
> >
> > Should I download Context from Pragma and reinstall from scratch? Or just
> > find an older version on a cdr somewhere?  Other suggestions?
>
> Check if you see these lines during the "texexec --make" run
> (or in the log file, afterwards)
>
>   language       : no patterns en for en (n=1) (lang-en.pat,ukhyph.tex
>   language       : no hyphenations en for en (n=1)
>   language       : no patterns uk for uk (n=2) (lang-uk.pat,ukhyph.tex
>   language       : no hyphenations uk for uk (n=2)
>
> if this is the case, then your hyphenation patterns have an unexpected
> name (perhaps "ukhyphen.tex"?). I solved my problems by
>
> 	cp hyphen.tex lang-en.pat
> 	cp ukhyphen.tex lang-uk.pat
>         mktexlsr
>
> but you probably need somehwat different filenames
>
> Good luck,
>
> Taco

Your technique worked perfectly, except that I added in fmtutil --all followed
by texhash.  Many, many thanks. However it seems to me that this mismatch in
filenames should be corrected more globally.  Is this a task for Hans H. or
for the builders of TeXLive?  With the TeXlive most recently released (early
December)  all of the hyphenation file names, not just English, are
mismatched.

I'll wait for a reply here before posting anything on alt.text.tex, where the
TeXLIve gurus tend to hang out.
--

@ 2004-12-30 15:48         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2004-12-30 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Assuming I understood Hans correctly, then using a new ConTeXt
(starting november) together with TL2004 or the latest tetex-beta,
all should be fine. Alternatively, an older ConTeXt (june) with an
older tetex or texlive should also be fine.

All combinations of new and old are apparently broken. Blame the
TL guys if you must, because they are the ones that keep changing
the filenames of the hyphenation patterns.

Greetings, Taco

@ 2004-12-30 16:22           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-12-30 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Assuming I understood Hans correctly, then using a new ConTeXt
> (starting november) together with TL2004 or the latest tetex-beta,
> all should be fine. Alternatively, an older ConTeXt (june) with an
> older tetex or texlive should also be fine.
>
> All combinations of new and old are apparently broken. Blame the
> TL guys if you must, because they are the ones that keep changing
> the filenames of the hyphenation patterns.

such 'changes' in filenames are sometimes hidden by the alias mechanism in web2c
  and that 'kind of fuzzy and hidden' mechanism can masquerade the problem; i
first found out about the change in filename during a tutorial at the practex
conference (no hyphenation, so i was both puzzled and ...); then, at home, i
found out, by grepping, that this mapping file was not always present etc etc

as taco mentioned, renaming/copying a pattern file to a lang-<language code>.pat
one is a solution [actually, in core-fil, i map onto those names]

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE