* acro bat 7
@ 2005-01-06 20:59 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-01-06 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Willy, [cc to context list]

Long ago we mailed about acrobat messing up colors when using transparencies.
Well, it looks like it happens again. When transparencies are used, all colors
are affected (become darker).

In previous versions, the pag ecache was the troublemaker, dunno what causes it
now, since i cannot influence the cache.

Can you test this on your machine as well?

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: acro bat 7
@ 2005-01-08  7:37 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2005-01-08  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 06.01.2005 um 21:59 schrieb Hans Hagen:
> Long ago we mailed about acrobat messing up colors when using
> transparencies. Well, it looks like it happens again. When
> transparencies are used, all colors are affected (become darker).
> In previous versions, the pag ecache was the troublemaker, dunno what
> causes it now, since i cannot influence the cache.

Are you sure it isn't only the overprint preview or the color
management profiles setup?

(acro bat, because it likes the dark?)

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://contextgarden.net

* Re: acro bat 7
@ 2005-01-08 17:44 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2005-01-08 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Indeed there was upon a time such a discussion ... Though not
remembering the details, I found a test file and after a small
adaptation it gives two pages:
- first page: page-background green (as defined by Context)
- second page: page-background as the first page, text area gets a
transparent color with the values "normal, 0.5, white".

The result in Acrobat Reader 7 is indeed not to expectation. The page
backround on the second page is still green, though not at all of the
same colour.

Apparently there is no mistake in the pdftex-PDF-file because viewing
this file with Acrobat 5 (!) the result is as expected. The
page-background remains the same green on both pages.

Kind regards Willi

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Hi Willy, [cc to context list]
>
> Long ago we mailed about acrobat messing up colors when using
> transparencies. Well, it looks like it happens again. When
> transparencies are used, all colors are affected (become darker).
>
> In previous versions, the pag ecache was the troublemaker, dunno what
> causes it now, since i cannot influence the cache.
>
> Can you test this on your machine as well?
>
> Hans

[-- Attachment #2: transparentbackground.tex --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 668 bytes --]

% Testfile for transparent colors used as the text-background
% Hans Hagen
% CONTEXT file
% filename: transparentbackground.tex
% W. Egger
% 09-01-2005

\setupoutput[pdftex]

\setupcolors[state=start]

\startuseMPgraphic{tBG}
	path p ;
	p := unitsquare xscaled \overlaywidth yscaled \overlayheight ;
	fill p withcolor transparent("normal",.5,\MPcolor{white}); % This however results in fading of ALL of the colors...
\stopuseMPgraphic

\defineoverlay[textBG][\useMPgraphic{tBG}]

\setupbackgrounds[page][background=color,backgroundcolor=green,state=repeat]

\starttext

\input tufte\page

\setupbackgrounds[text][background=textBG,state=repeat]
\input tufte
\stoptext

* Re: acro bat 7
@ 2005-01-09 19:42   ` h h extern
From: h h extern @ 2005-01-09 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> Are you sure it isn't only the overprint preview or the color management
> profiles setup?

no, it looks like the usual cache/anti-aliasing mess in zero versions; my guess
is that at adobe they test at 256 color / 768x1024 displays -)

nothing to do with overprint / proofing / etc since it;s triggered by
transparencies being present in the file and transparencies somehow influence
anti aliasing, accuracy (less accurate slopes), hinting, cooltype etc; of course
we're talking about tricky rendering, but it's strange to see fundamental old
bugs show up again

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE