* shading in meta[post/play] & PDF
@ 2005-01-15  5:16 Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2005-01-15  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

There's a wonderful tutorial on drawing 3D graphics in PostScript on
http://www.math.ubc.ca/~cass/graphics/manual/, specifically
http://www.math.ubc.ca/~cass/graphics/manual/code/doughnut.eps as an
example.

And there's a detailed description on shading in PostScript in
http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/ps/PLRM.pdf, page 259
(I attached an example and have some more on computer if anyone is
interested; I downloaded them from Adobe, but don't know the URL any
more) or on shading in PDF in
http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/pdf/PDFReference16.pdf,
page 272. (They're basically the same.)

In metapost, "perfect" spheres can be drawn, like on
http://www.gnu.org/software/3dldf/cdsmpls.html. But how can I add colour?

Even if it would be too tricky to add colour and proper shading on the
sphere - Is there any possibility to use advanced shading techiques
described in PLRM inside metapost/metaplay for the most simple cases,
say, like in the attached example? Metaplay allows circular and gradient
shading and no others. I don't mind if I had to hard-code the shading.

PSTricks allows some more advanced shading techniques and even direct
PostScript code integration (with \special I think). Is anything similar
possible in metapost/play?

The spheres drawn directly in PostScript as in the examples above still
have straight lines (well, I agree that with some mathematics it would
be possible to draw them with proper splines as well).

Thanks for all the suggestions,
	Mojca

[-- Attachment #2: DECAHED.PS --]
[-- Type: application/postscript, Size: 2374 bytes --]

* Re: [metapost] shading in meta[post/play] & PDF
@ 2005-01-15 21:04 ` Laurence Finston
From: Laurence Finston @ 2005-01-15 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> There's a wonderful tutorial on drawing 3D graphics in PostScript on
> http://www.math.ubc.ca/~cass/graphics/manual/, specifically
> http://www.math.ubc.ca/~cass/graphics/manual/code/doughnut.eps as an
> example.

Thanks for the reference, it looks very interesting.

> In metapost, "perfect" spheres can be drawn, like on
> http://www.gnu.org/software/3dldf/cdsmpls.html. But how can I add > colour?

The spheres in that example are really just circles.  The "globe font" was
done using Metafont, which doesn't support color at all.  The sphere graphic
at the beginning of that file was done using MetaPost, so the circles could be
drawn in color, but I know this isn't what you mean.
The glyphs from the globe font (which I plan to improve) could be colored,
e.g., by using the macros defined in the `colordvi.tex' file supplied with
`dvips'.  Of course, a given glyph could only be printed or displayed in a
single color.

GNU 3DLDF does not yet possess a `sphere' type, but I plan to add one in the
not-too-distant future.  I also plan to add shading, but that is in the more
distant future.  The shading methods I'm (vaguely) familiar with operate on
raster data and I haven't quite decided how to handle rasterization.  I'm
leaning toward using the PNG format rather than PostScript for this.  I
believe PostScript can be used for both vector and raster data, but my memory
of the details is hazy.

> The spheres drawn directly in PostScript as in the examples above still
> have straight lines (well, I agree that with some mathematics it would
> be possible to draw them with proper splines as well).

If you mean my spheres, that's an artefact of the PNG graphics.  The
PostScript versions look nicer.  I believe that on commonly available devices,
 curves are ultimately drawn as short straight-line segments, though.  In the
code in that file, the circles have 64 points, and I thought the results were
good enough.  Raising it to some value x such that x % 4 == 0 and x > 64 might
improve them, I haven't tried it.  32 wasn't enough.

Laurence Finston
http://www.gnu.org/software/3dldf/LDF.html

* Re: [metapost] shading in meta[post/play] & PDF
@ 2005-01-15 22:02 ` Laurence Finston
From: Laurence Finston @ 2005-01-15 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> In metapost, "perfect" spheres can be drawn, like on
> http://www.gnu.org/software/3dldf/cdsmpls.html. But how can I add colour?

You could use the intersection points of the circles as the corners of
rectangles and fill the latter.  The more circles you use, the better the
results will be.  The very primitive surface hiding I've implemented will
almost certainly fail, so you'll have to do this by hand or implement it
yourself.  You may be able to implement surface hiding and/or shading by
operating on the MetaPost file generated by GNU 3DLDF, or by the PostScript
file generated by MetaPost.

Laurence

* Re: [metapost] shading in meta[post/play] & PDF
@ 2005-01-19 10:00   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2005-01-19 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: metapost

The answer to the mail follows, but to reformulate my question slightly:

How can I make shading inside metapost(play) to produce exactly what's
in the attached picture (smooth shades). Or more generally: how can I
"hardcode" some PS/PDF code in .mp, not (yet) supported by metapost(play)?

(PDF supports even 3D shapes (already shaded properly) since version 1.5
or 1.6, but I suppose that's another story anyway.)

Here's the corresponding PostScript code:

%!PS-Adobe-3.0 Resource-ProcSet
%%Title: Hsbwheel.ps
%%Creator: Henry McGilton, Adobe Systems Incorporated (modified!)
%%EndComments

200 dup scale

/X3  1.0 3 div def
/X6  2.0 3 div def
/Y3  1.0 3 div def
/Y6  2.0 3 div def

/middlecolor  [ 1    1   1 ] def
/topcolor     [ 1    0   0 ] def
/rightcolor   [ 0.5  0   1 ] def

newpath
<<
     /ShadingType 6
     /ColorSpace /DeviceRGB
     /DataSource [
         0
           0.0 0.0    X3 0.0     X6  0.0   1.0 0.0
           1.0 .552   .552 1.0   0.0 1.0
           0.0 Y6     0.0 Y3     0.0 0.0   0.0 0.0    0.0 0.0
           middlecolor aload pop    rightcolor  aload pop
           topcolor   aload pop     middlecolor aload pop
     ]
 >> shfill

showpage

Laurence Finston wrote:

> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>

>>There's a wonderful tutorial on drawing 3D graphics in PostScript on
>>http://www.math.ubc.ca/~cass/graphics/manual/, specifically
>>http://www.math.ubc.ca/~cass/graphics/manual/code/doughnut.eps as an
>>example.
>

> Thanks for the reference, it looks very interesting.
>

>>In metapost, "perfect" spheres can be drawn, like on
>>http://www.gnu.org/software/3dldf/cdsmpls.html. But how can I add > colour?
>

> The spheres in that example are really just circles.  The "globe font" was
> done using Metafont, which doesn't support color at all.  The sphere graphic
> at the beginning of that file was done using MetaPost, so the circles could be
> drawn in color, but I know this isn't what you mean.

Well - the main question is how to add the proper (smooth shading) color
once I calculate the grid points in one way or another.

> The glyphs from the globe font (which I plan to improve) could be colored,
> e.g., by using the macros defined in the `colordvi.tex' file supplied with
> `dvips'.  Of course, a given glyph could only be printed or displayed in a
> single color.
>
> GNU 3DLDF does not yet possess a `sphere' type, but I plan to add one in the
> not-too-distant future.  I also plan to add shading, but that is in the more
> distant future.  The shading methods I'm (vaguely) familiar with operate on
> raster data and I haven't quite decided how to handle rasterization.  I'm
> leaning toward using the PNG format rather than PostScript for this.  I
> believe PostScript can be used for both vector and raster data, but my memory
> of the details is hazy.

Well, PostScript can be used for raster images, but that doesn't bring
anything. The examples on Cass' page are actually done using *vector*
graphics (colors are really calculated only in grid points, but then the
color is interpolated by postscript interpreter): the perfect sphere
coloring is thus really limited to "floating point accuracy" and printer
capabilities.

>>The spheres drawn directly in PostScript as in the examples above still
>>have straight lines (well, I agree that with some mathematics it would
>>be possible to draw them with proper splines as well).
>>

> If you mean my spheres, that's an artefact of the PNG graphics.  The
> PostScript versions look nicer.  I believe that on commonly available devices,
>  curves are ultimately drawn as short straight-line segments, though.  In the
> code in that file, the circles have 64 points, and I thought the results were
> good enough.  Raising it to some value x such that x % 4 == 0 and x > 64 might
> improve them, I haven't tried it.  32 wasn't enough.

No, I wasn't talking about the PNGs. I was talking about the PostScript
pictures. http://www.math.ubc.ca/~cass/graphics/manual/code/doughnut.eps
has a really *perfect* shading, but its edges are drawn using straight
segments instead of drawing them with splines which damages slightly the
whole impression of its perfectness. Some additional calculation for
spline drawing would help, but I still find it easier to calculate the
curves in metapost than in PostScript.

Those "straight-line segments" on printers are just as straight as they
are on any laser print-out of texts if I'm not wrong - i.e. not worth
considering.

Thank you,
	Mojca

[-- Attachment #2: hsbwheel.pdf --]

* Re: [metapost] shading in meta[post/play] & PDF
@ 2005-01-19 10:59     ` Laurence Finston
From: Laurence Finston @ 2005-01-19 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> How can I make shading inside metapost(play) to produce exactly what's
> in the attached picture (smooth shades). Or more generally: how can I
> "hardcode" some PS/PDF code in .mp, not (yet) supported by metapost(play)?

This is a very difficult question.  For an excellent introduction
to shading and other subjects I recommend:

Jones, Huw.
_Computer Graphics through Key Mathematics_.
Springer-Verlag London Limited 2001.
ISBN 1-85233-422-3.

> Here's the corresponding PostScript code:

Sorry, I don't know PostScript.

> >>The spheres drawn directly in PostScript as in the examples above still
> >>have straight lines (well, I agree that with some mathematics it would
> >>be possible to draw them with proper splines as well).

To the best of my knowledge, spline curves are drawn by means of
calculating short line segments.  You can make the "time" parameter
as small as you like, but you can't make it 0.

I believe plotters can draw genuine curves---and it's a lot more
fun to watch them work (it's like magic).
They're not so great at filling in regions,
though.  Much to my regret, the computer center here got rid of
the plotter.  They're probably as obsolete as the ENIAC now, except
perhaps for very high-quality work.

> Thank you,

My pleasure.

Laurence

* Re: [metapost] shading in meta[post/play] & PDF
@ 2005-01-19 11:48     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-01-19 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> How can I make shading inside metapost(play) to produce exactly what's
> in the attached picture (smooth shades). Or more generally: how can I
> "hardcode" some PS/PDF code in .mp, not (yet) supported by metapost(play)?

certain kind of native level 2 shaded can be done with the metafun macros
(circular and linear vector based)

a couple of years ago mathew baker and i played with more advanced features
using functions and such but i need to locate that code;

if you're willing to figure out what (in pdf) functionality is needed i can
extend the current metapost shading handler with a few more alternatives [the
function based ones, since that's what you're looking for])

[more a context mailing list issue than a metapost list issue]

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: shading in meta[post/play] & PDF
@ 2005-01-20 23:47       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2005-01-20 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> How can I make shading inside metapost(play) to produce exactly what's
>> in the attached picture (smooth shades). Or more generally: how can I
>> "hardcode" some PS/PDF code in .mp, not (yet) supported by
>> metapost(play)?
>

> certain kind of native level 2 shaded can be done with the metafun
> macros (circular and linear vector based)
>
> a couple of years ago mathew baker and i played with more advanced
> features using functions and such but i need to locate that code;
>
> if you're willing to figure out what (in pdf) functionality is needed i
> can extend the current metapost shading handler with a few more
> alternatives [the function based ones, since that's what you're looking
> for])

I'm not sure if I understood the question correctly (about what should I
figure out).

I would like to draw a sphere (possibly with different colors on
different points of the sphere; which would then be interpolated across
the whole surface).

Problem description:
I have a computer program, which carries the data about the grid points
on a sphere (possibly with different colors defined in these points) and
how the points are connected with each other to form a grid. I would
take these triangles (or quadrilaterals), draw them transformed on the
plane (with curves, not with straight lines) and fill them with the
appropriate shading pattern (colors defined in corners of the triangles
(darker according to normal vector) simply interpolated between the
three points). Yet another possibility would probably be to use
function-based shading and define a function which knows how the points
have to be shaded on the sphere, but the latter seems more complicated
and less universal.

Problem reduction:
Fill a mp closed path with any more complex shading.

So I would probably need Type 6 or 7 shading (Type 4 would be OK as the
picture can be clipped within metapost, so that the resulting sphere
borders are not composed of straight lines; the articles on
http://www.math.ubc.ca/people/faculty/cass/graphics/text/www/ which
inspired me to do something so crazy actually use Type 4 shading). Type
one is probably the most general one, so it should be OK too, just
complicated to do.

However: I'm not sure if, say, a (sampled) function to be passed to PDF
can be specified in metapost elegantly.

Page 746 of PDF Reference, version 1.6 also defines an interesting new
feature: 3D objects (3D Artwork as they call it), but I haven't found
anything else about that.

In dvipdfm there's an example of using:
\special{pdf: bt rotate 90 xscale 2.0 }

These lines are to be used in TeX. MetaPost also knows a "special"
command, I just don't know how to use it. (This is probably the
"communication channel" to PDF when trying to implement some more exotic
shadings.)

I glimpsed the mp-spec.mp file, but I didn't yet understand how the
parameters are passed to PDF.

> [more a context mailing list issue than a metapost list issue]

So I left the metapost group out. Actually, 90% on the people here
probably think I posted that to the wrong group anyway (in the sense of
"Are you sure you didn't want to post that question to the 3D studio max
mailing list?" :) The example above is probably not the most descriptive
one, but having the possibility to add some more advanced shading
patterns would be great.

Thank you,
	Mojca

* Re: shading in meta[post/play] & PDF
@ 2005-01-21 20:55         ` h h extern
From: h h extern @ 2005-01-21 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Problem description:
> I have a computer program, which carries the data about the grid points
> on a sphere (possibly with different colors defined in these points) and
> how the points are connected with each other to form a grid. I would
> take these triangles (or quadrilaterals), draw them transformed on the
> plane (with curves, not with straight lines) and fill them with the
> appropriate shading pattern (colors defined in corners of the triangles
> (darker according to normal vector) simply interpolated between the
> three points). Yet another possibility would probably be to use
> function-based shading and define a function which knows how the points
> have to be shaded on the sphere, but the latter seems more complicated
> and less universal.
>
> Problem reduction:
> Fill a mp closed path with any more complex shading.
>
> So I would probably need Type 6 or 7 shading (Type 4 would be OK as the
> picture can be clipped within metapost, so that the resulting sphere
> borders are not composed of straight lines; the articles on
> http://www.math.ubc.ca/people/faculty/cass/graphics/text/www/ which
> inspired me to do something so crazy actually use Type 4 shading). Type
> one is probably the most general one, so it should be OK too, just
> complicated to do.
>
> However: I'm not sure if, say, a (sampled) function to be passed to PDF
> can be specified in metapost elegantly.

i searched my machine extensively but it seems that i lost some code that could
be used as starting point for that;

> Page 746 of PDF Reference, version 1.6 also defines an interesting new
> feature: 3D objects (3D Artwork as they call it), but I haven't found
> anything else about that.

there is a section about shading, the function numbers differ;

> In dvipdfm there's an example of using:
> \special{pdf: bt rotate 90 xscale 2.0 }
>
> These lines are to be used in TeX. MetaPost also knows a "special"
> command, I just don't know how to use it. (This is probably the
> "communication channel" to PDF when trying to implement some more exotic
> shadings.)

take a look at supp-mpe.tex, all we need is some variant on

\defineMPspecial{31}
   {\startMPshading{16}% type 3
    \setMPshadingcolors{4}{5}{6}{10}{11}{12}%
    \immediate\pdfobj
      {<</FunctionType 2
         /Domain [\gMPs1 \gMPs2]
         /C0 [\MPshadeA]
         /C1 [\MPshadeB]
         /N \gMPs3>>}%
    \immediate\pdfobj
      {<</ShadingType 3
         /ColorSpace /\MPshadeC\space
         /Function \the\pdflastobj\space 0 R
         /Coords [\gMPs7 \gMPs8 \gMPs9 \gMPs{13} \gMPs{14} \gMPs{15}]
         /Extend [true true]>>}%
    \stopMPshading}

(plus some more depending on what parameters need to be passed)

> I glimpsed the mp-spec.mp file, but I didn't yet understand how the
> parameters are passed to PDF.
>
>> [more a context mailing list issue than a metapost list issue]
>
> So I left the metapost group out. Actually, 90% on the people here
> probably think I posted that to the wrong group anyway (in the sense of
> "Are you sure you didn't want to post that question to the 3D studio max
> mailing list?" :) The example above is probably not the most descriptive
> one, but having the possibility to add some more advanced shading
> patterns would be great.

if you can locate the right stuff in the pdf ref manual we can see what can be
done (off list); i can add more 'special' handlers to the mp to pdf converted

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2005-01-22  1:36           ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2005-01-22  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Page 746 of PDF Reference, version 1.6 also defines an interesting new
>> feature: 3D objects (3D Artwork as they call it), but I haven't found
>> anything else about that.
>

> there is a section about shading, the function numbers differ;

?
How? (I was talking only about shading types, not about function types
at all anyway, but the number *should* be the same.)

> take a look at supp-mpe.tex, all we need is some variant on
>
> \defineMPspecial{31}
>   {\startMPshading{16}% type 3
>    \setMPshadingcolors{4}{5}{6}{10}{11}{12}%
>    \immediate\pdfobj
>      {<</FunctionType 2
>         /Domain [\gMPs1 \gMPs2]
>         /C0 [\MPshadeA]
>         /C1 [\MPshadeB]
>         /N \gMPs3>>}%
>    \immediate\pdfobj
>      {<</ShadingType 3
>         /ColorSpace /\MPshadeC\space
>         /Function \the\pdflastobj\space 0 R
>         /Coords [\gMPs7 \gMPs8 \gMPs9 \gMPs{13} \gMPs{14} \gMPs{15}]
>         /Extend [true true]>>}%
>    \stopMPshading}
>
> (plus some more depending on what parameters need to be passed)

Thanks for pointing it out.

This piece of code is very nice (however the whole bunch of code that
resides in the file ... I wonder how you managed to put all that stuff
together :)

  > if you can locate the right stuff in the pdf ref manual we can see what
> can be done (off list); i can add more 'special' handlers to the mp to
> pdf converted

Here are some more examples:

http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/ps/sdk/index_archive.html
http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/ps/sdk/TN5600.SmoothShading.pdf
http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/ps/sdk/sample/smooth.zip

(I didn't want to send the material to the list and I didn't find the
links until now.)

I'll try to make the drawings I need (in PostScript for the beginning)
and collect the ideas of how the things have to be implemented (which
features supported and how). I'm in no way such a 'superwoman' to be
able to do dozens of things efficiently in one day as you do, but I'll
do my best; exams are approaching, so it may take me slightly longer -
please apologize me.

Thanks again for being prepared to help. I'll write back as soon as I
have something to report.

Mojca