* cz support
@ 2005-01-24 23:11 Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2005-01-24 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallo Hans and other ConTeXters,

I have started to collect and clean up Czech ConTeXt localization. And I
have discovered that Tomas Hudec includeded Czech (non-trivial) sorting
rules into texutils.pl (calling czsort.pl from Jan Pazdziora).
Unfortunately it was not incorporated into official ConTeXt disribution.

Hans, what is your prefereble solution in case of local sorting rules? I
know, there is \definesortkey, but this mechanism is insufficient for
Czech. I think that calling external Perl sorting routine is a suitable
solution. If so, it can be incorporated into current version? Files are
attached.

Thanks
Vit Zyka

[-- Attachment #2: czsort.zip --]
[-- Type: application/zip, Size: 25294 bytes --]

* Re: cz support
@ 2005-01-25 19:54 ` h h extern
From: h h extern @ 2005-01-25 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vit Zyka wrote:
> Hallo Hans and other ConTeXters,
>
> I have started to collect and clean up Czech ConTeXt localization. And I
> have discovered that Tomas Hudec includeded Czech (non-trivial) sorting
> rules into texutils.pl (calling czsort.pl from Jan Pazdziora).
> Unfortunately it was not incorporated into official ConTeXt disribution.
>
> Hans, what is your prefereble solution in case of local sorting rules? I
> know, there is \definesortkey, but this mechanism is insufficient for
> Czech. I think that calling external Perl sorting routine is a suitable
> solution. If so, it can be incorporated into current version? Files are
> attached.

in order to do that:

- the pm code should move into texutil
- we should find a way to hook the switch into texexec

now, apart from such an effort, i think we should rethink sorting;

- no funny encodings which demands the sorter to be encoding aware
- no locale dependencies
- readable sorting code -)

steps:

- write named glyphs to the output:
- no longer use direct code in definecommand and defineaccent, i.e.
- define the fallbacks as 'definecharacter ones'

the last two steps actually come first (since adam l. is quite fluent in the
character names and such, i guess that the both of us need to look into that and
do that in 'one move'); after that i can rewrite the sort/index code to become
aware of named glyphs and languages, and we can then plug in language specific
sorting rules [taking care of xml at teh same time]

[it's worth considering to drop the non etex code]

named glyphs are not so much a problem, but we need to clean up the
fallback encoding defs a bit in order to prevent funny expansion

\def\literateencodedtokens
   {% \let\dohandleaccent   \keephandleaccent
    % \let\dohandlecommand  \keephandlecommand
    \let\dohandlecharacter\keephandlecharacter}

\def\convertmeaning#1\to % watch the double expansion !
   {\bgroup
      \honorunexpanded
     %\dontexpandencoding % new
      \literateencodedtokens % newer
      \xdef\@@globalexpanded{#1}%
      \xdef\@@globalexpanded{\@@globalexpanded}%
    \egroup
    \convertcommand\@@globalexpanded\to}

\protect

\enableencoding[texnansi] \setupregister[index][keyexpansion=yes]

\starttext

\defineactivecharacter * {\eacute} test \index{test \eacute * \'e test}

\stoptext

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: cz support
@ 2005-01-26 10:17   ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2005-01-26 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

h h extern wrote:
> Vit Zyka wrote:
>
>> Hallo Hans and other ConTeXters,
>>
>> I have started to collect and clean up Czech ConTeXt localization. And
>> I have discovered that Tomas Hudec includeded Czech (non-trivial)
>> sorting rules into texutils.pl (calling czsort.pl from Jan Pazdziora).
>> Unfortunately it was not incorporated into official ConTeXt disribution.
>>
>> Hans, what is your prefereble solution in case of local sorting rules?
>> I know, there is \definesortkey, but this mechanism is insufficient
>> for Czech. I think that calling external Perl sorting routine is a
>> suitable solution. If so, it can be incorporated into current version?
>> Files are attached.

Hallo Hans,

thank you for your positive responce. Since I am still a bit confused in
the ConTeXt low and high level encoding macros (but a bit less after
solving the last week UTF-8 -> IL2 problem - despite of the reason was
in my old ConTeXt distr.) I need a bit more details about how to contribute.

> in order to do that:
>
> - the pm code should move into texutil
> - we should find a way to hook the switch into texexec
> now, apart from such an effort, i think we should rethink sorting;
> - no funny encodings which demands the sorter to be encoding aware
> - no locale dependencies
> - readable sorting code -)

OK. So, each sorting rules will be represented by cmp($a,$b) function?
And $a and $b should be glyps, shouldn't they?

> steps:
> - write named glyphs to the output:
> - no longer use direct code in definecommand and defineaccent, i.e.
> - define the fallbacks as 'definecharacter ones'

Sorry, output of what? Where are the commands? ???

> the last two steps actually come first (since adam l. is quite fluent in
> the character names and such, i guess that the both of us need to look
> into that and do that in 'one move'); after that i can rewrite the
> sort/index code to become
> aware of named glyphs and languages, and we can then plug in language
> specific sorting rules [taking care of xml at teh same time]

Great.

> [it's worth considering to drop the non etex code]

All right. etex can be everywhere now.

> named glyphs are not so much a problem, but we need to clean up the
> fallback encoding defs a bit in order to prevent funny expansion

I totaly do not known what the code bellow illustrates.

So, what to do?
Vit Zyka