* Using capsule versoion of TeX from Pragma.
@ 2005-01-30 13:24 John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2005-01-30 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

To help solve some other problems I disabled the path to my existing TeXLive
distro, downloaded the minimal Linux-tex from Pragma, and unzipped it
in /usr/local.

 Following TeXLive conventions I established a path
to  /usr/local/tex/texmf-linux/bin in /etc/profile
and rebooted.

The executables at the end of that path  were not executable so I made them
executable. (chmod 777 *)
I also made the setuptex script in /usr/local/tex executable.
Per the instructions in setuptex I ran the following:

./setuptex .  #note period
mktexlsr
texexec --make --alone

----and got the following error message

/usr/bin/env: ruby: No such file or directory

at this point I thought I had best stop stumbling around and ask for help.
My base system is Slackware LInux 10.0.

--
John Culleton
Short list of publishing/marketing books:

* Re: Using capsule versoion of TeX from Pragma.
@ 2005-01-30 17:24 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2005-01-30 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, John Culleton wrote:

> /usr/bin/env: ruby: No such file or directory
>
> at this point I thought I had best stop stumbling around and ask for help.
> My base system is Slackware LInux 10.0.

There should be a package named "ruby" or similar on Slackware, and that
has to be installed.
Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: Using capsule versoion of TeX from Pragma.
@ 2005-01-30 19:24   ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2005-01-30 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday 30 January 2005 12:24, Peter Münster wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, John Culleton wrote:
> > /usr/bin/env: ruby: No such file or directory
> >
> > at this point I thought I had best stop stumbling around and ask for
> > help. My base system is Slackware LInux 10.0.
>
> There should be a package named "ruby" or similar on Slackware, and that
> has to be installed.
> Cheers, Peter
As it happens, there isn't, and this a full Slackware install. I have
installed many versions of TeXlive over the years. I have upgraded Context
several times.  This error message is new.

If Ruby is necessary to make the minimal linux package offered on  Pragma
functional it would be helpful to specify that in the readme. I thought the
Pragma Linux TeX package was self-contained. It would also be helpful if a
fmtutil.cnf file were included so that fmtutil would work.

I will try downloading ruby from somewhere, installing that and moving
forward. If that doesn't work then I will give up on the Pragma minmal
distro. It is a good idea, but it doesn't work correctly.
--

@ 2005-01-30 19:47   ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2005-01-30 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Peter Münster

On Sunday 30 January 2005 12:24, Peter Münster wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, John Culleton wrote:
> > /usr/bin/env: ruby: No such file or directory
> >
> > at this point I thought I had best stop stumbling around and ask for
> > help. My base system is Slackware LInux 10.0.
>
> There should be a package named "ruby" or similar on Slackware, and that
> has to be installed.
> Cheers, Peter

Well I installed Ruby and got to the next problem. I went back to step 1:
setuptex .
...followed by
texexec --make --alone

---
! I can't read pdfetex.pool; bad path?
! I can't read pdfetex.pool; bad path?
! I can't read mp.pool; bad path?
! I can't read pdfetex.pool; bad path?
----
So now I have a path problem. The set command shows the path as:

PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/tex/texmf-linux/bin:
/opt/www/htdig/bin:/usr/lib/java/bin:/usr/lib/java/jre/bin:/opt/kde/bin:/usr/lib/qt/bin:.

What path items do I need, beyond :/usr/local/tex/texmf-linux/bin?

Thanks for your help.

--

@ 2005-01-30 19:57     ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2005-01-30 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, John Culleton wrote:

> If Ruby is necessary to make the minimal linux package offered on  Pragma
> functional it would be helpful to specify that in the readme. I thought the
> Pragma Linux TeX package was self-contained. It would also be helpful if a
> fmtutil.cnf file were included so that fmtutil would work.
>
> I will try downloading ruby from somewhere, installing that and moving
> forward. If that doesn't work then I will give up on the Pragma minmal
> distro. It is a good idea, but it doesn't work correctly.

About one week ago, I installed the latest teTeX-beta (about 100 MB to
download). And now I checked for usage of ruby:
ls -lu `which ruby`
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         5363 Sep 23  2003 /usr/bin/ruby

So, it seems, ruby wasn't needed...

I've just made a little script for my brother to install the newest teTeX
on SuSE (should work also for other distributions).
Perhaps you'll find it useful, so I attach it to this message. Just run it
as root and then log in again to get the right PATH.
There is also the latest version of pdfTeX.

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

[-- Attachment #2: Type: APPLICATION/x-sh, Size: 986 bytes --]

* Re: Using capsule versoion of TeX from Pragma.
@ 2005-01-30 21:31     ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2005-01-30 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday 30 January 2005 14:47, John Culleton wrote:
> On Sunday 30 January 2005 12:24, Peter Münster wrote:
> > On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, John Culleton wrote:
> > > /usr/bin/env: ruby: No such file or directory
> > >
> > > at this point I thought I had best stop stumbling around and ask for
> > > help. My base system is Slackware LInux 10.0.
> >
> > There should be a package named "ruby" or similar on Slackware, and that
> > has to be installed.
> > Cheers, Peter
>
> Well I installed Ruby and got to the next problem. I went back to step 1:
> setuptex .
> ...followed by
> texexec --make --alone
>
> ---
> ! I can't read pdfetex.pool; bad path?
> ! I can't read pdfetex.pool; bad path?
> ! I can't read mp.pool; bad path?
> ! I can't read pdfetex.pool; bad path?
> ----
> So now I have a path problem. The set command shows the path as:
>
> PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/tex/texmf-linux
>/bin:
> /opt/www/htdig/bin:/usr/lib/java/bin:/usr/lib/java/jre/bin:/opt/kde/bin:/us
>r/lib/qt/bin:.
>
> What path items do I need, beyond :/usr/local/tex/texmf-linux/bin?
>
> Thanks for your help.

Referring to the path problem, I went through all kinds of set PATH gyrations
and modifications to /etc/profile but with no success. So finally I copied
the two necessary pool files up to /usr/local/tex and ran through the cycle
once again. That worked, but it is obviously a crude kludge and not a correct
solution.

I will at some point write a list of what I had to do to make the minimal
Linux-TeX package work and submit it to Hans as a howto and/or a todo list.
Anyhow it works currently and the infamous hyphenation problem is no more.

--
John Culleton

* Re: Using capsule versoion of TeX from Pragma.
@ 2005-01-30 22:19       ` h h extern
From: h h extern @ 2005-01-30 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Münster wrote:

>>If Ruby is necessary to make the minimal linux package offered on  Pragma
>>functional it would be helpful to specify that in the readme. I thought the
>>Pragma Linux TeX package was self-contained. It would also be helpful if a
>>fmtutil.cnf file were included so that fmtutil would work.
>>
>>I will try downloading ruby from somewhere, installing that and moving
>>forward. If that doesn't work then I will give up on the Pragma minmal
>>distro. It is a good idea, but it doesn't work correctly.
>

> About one week ago, I installed the latest teTeX-beta (about 100 MB to
> download). And now I checked for usage of ruby:
> ls -lu `which ruby`
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         5363 Sep 23  2003 /usr/bin/ruby
>
> So, it seems, ruby wasn't needed...
>
> I've just made a little script for my brother to install the newest teTeX
> on SuSE (should work also for other distributions).
> Perhaps you'll find it useful, so I attach it to this message. Just run it
> as root and then log in again to get the right PATH.
> There is also the latest version of pdfTeX.

nowadays perl, python and ruby are present on must linux systems as well as
macosx; on windows there are good installers so that should not be a problem as
well;

currently in context, texexec, texutil, texfont and texshow are perl scripts,
while the rest is ruby; i'm moving code from texutil to some ruby counterparts,
and some day soon i'll split/cleanup texexec as well [but i will keep things
downward compatible]; texfont is in the process of cleanup [wybo cleaned up the
code and i will pick up that thread once i've finished some way-behind work]

in principle, one can expect perl, python and ruby scripts as part of the
context distribution, since all have their benefits

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2005-01-30 22:27       ` h h extern
From: h h extern @ 2005-01-30 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Culleton wrote:

> I will at some point write a list of what I had to do to make the minimal
> Linux-TeX package work and submit it to Hans as a howto and/or a todo list.
> Anyhow it works currently and the infamous hyphenation problem is no more.

you mean the minimal one from our website?

just run

   . /path-to-minimal-tex/setuptex /path-to-minimal-tex

and things should work; so, you can add those to your profile or just call it
before using tex

[btw, the pool files are in the web2c subpaths]

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE