From: Stefan Wachter <Stefan.Wachter@gmx.de>
Subject: How to use and not embed the PdfBase14 fonts?
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:55:30 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi all!

I want to generate PDF documents that use the standard PDF fonts
(Helvetica, Times-Roman, and Courier) and not to embed these fonts. With
my former installation (TexLive-2003 and a ConText distribution of last
autumn) this was possible by using the following lines in the praeambel:

\usetypescript[adobekb][texnansi]
\usetypescript[postscript][texnansi]
\setupbodyfont[postscript,ss,13pt]

(In addition, I had to configure pdfTeX by "updmap --setoption
pdftexDownloadBase14 false").

After I upgraded to TexLive-2004 this does no longer work!

I found that the typescript "adobekb" was replaced by "type-akb". Yet,
the encoding "texnansi" seems no longer to be available (Metafont
complains that it can not find: texnansi-utmr8a). Changing the encoding
to "ec" that still is available yields:

\usetypescript[type-akb][ec]
\usetypescript[postscript][ec]
\setupbodyfont[postscript,ss,13pt]

Yet, using these lines in the praeambel results in a document that uses
the NimbusSanL-Regu font, that clearly has to be embedded.

Does anyone know how the standard PDF fonts can be used while not being
embedded?

Thanks for your attention,
Stefan