* Page numbers in margin?
@ 2005-02-14 20:21 Matt Gushee
From: Matt Gushee @ 2005-02-14 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, all--

I am creating a layout for electronic books in which all the body text
is in a single, fairly narrow column, with minimal space at the top and
bottom of each page. I would like to place page numbers in the left
margin, aligned with the bottom of the text, and the running heads (if
any) also in the left margin, aligned with the top of the text. Is there
a way to do this in ConTeXt? I can see that the standard page numbering
and header commands don't support this kind of placement. I can come
very close to the desired effect with the following:

   * Place the page numbers in the margin area of the footer, e.g.:

      \setuppagenumbering [...,location=inleft]

   * Place the header text in the margin area of the header, e.g.:

      \setupheadertext [margin] [section] []

   * Use negative dimensions to cause the header and footer to overlap
     the text area, e.g.:

      \setuplayout [...,headerdistance=-0.35in,footerdistance=-0.5in]

As I said, this comes very close to the desired effect, but it seems
impossible to align the header text and page numbers with the main text.
Also, the header texts are mostly too long to fit on a single line in
the margin, and I have not found a way to induce line wrapping.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA

only message in thread, other threads:[~2005-02-14 20:21 UTC | newest]