* Several questions about format generation
@ 2005-02-18  8:12 Stefan Wachter
From: Stefan Wachter @ 2005-02-18  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

in the diverse documentation about ConTeXt installation I find the
instruction

"texexec --make ... --language ..."

for generating format files. Several questions arise:

1. What is the consequence of selecting specific languages after the
--make option? Have the generated formats the same functionality, i.e.
do they differ only in the user interface? In particular, do the
different formats have the same hyphenation capabilities?

2. In the "How to install ConTeXt" manual I read that the "nl"-format is
needed for some postprocessing features built in texexec. Is this still
valid? The TeXLive distribution of 2004 contains only the cont-en.fmt file.

3. Is using the --language xy option equivalent to the using the
\mainlanguage[xy] macro?

4. In case that several format files exist: which one is selected by
texexec?

Thanks for your attention,
--Stefan

* Re: Several questions about format generation
@ 2005-02-18  8:33 ` VnPenguin
From: VnPenguin @ 2005-02-18  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:12:09 +0100, Stefan Wachter
<Stefan.Wachter@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> in the diverse documentation about ConTeXt installation I find the
> instruction
>
> "texexec --make ... --language ..."
>
> for generating format files. Several questions arise:
>
> 1. What is the consequence of selecting specific languages after the
> --make option? Have the generated formats the same functionality, i.e.
> do they differ only in the user interface? In particular, do the
> different formats have the same hyphenation capabilities?
>
> 2. In the "How to install ConTeXt" manual I read that the "nl"-format is
> needed for some postprocessing features built in texexec. Is this still
> valid? The TeXLive distribution of 2004 contains only the cont-en.fmt file.

The same for teTeX 3.0
So I think *-nl* is not need unless you need some things (e.g
labels,...)  related to NL, right ?

* Re: Several questions about format generation
@ 2005-02-18 10:05 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-02-18 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Wachter wrote:

> in the diverse documentation about ConTeXt installation I find the
> instruction
>
> "texexec --make ... --language ..."
>
> for generating format files. Several questions arise:
>
> 1. What is the consequence of selecting specific languages after the
> --make option? Have the generated formats the same functionality, i.e.
> do they differ only in the user interface? In particular, do the
> different formats have the same hyphenation capabilities?

it becomes the default

> 2. In the "How to install ConTeXt" manual I read that the "nl"-format is
> needed for some postprocessing features built in texexec. Is this still
> valid? The TeXLive distribution of 2004 contains only the cont-en.fmt file.

some special purpose styles run on the nl interface

> 3. Is using the --language xy option equivalent to the using the
> \mainlanguage[xy] macro?

kind of

> 4. In case that several format files exist: which one is selected by
> texexec?

texexec makes a guess, unless the first line says:

% interface=en

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE