* Can't install ConTeXt
@ 2005-02-18 23:24 Paul Tremblay
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Paul Tremblay @ 2005-02-18 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've just dowloaded the ConTeXt form the website

http://www.pragma-ade.com/download-1.htm

I've downloaded both the "the main CONTEXT distribution" as well as "the
minimal CONTEXT distribution (linux)"

Both distributions give me a bunch of directories and scrits, but no
instructions on where to put what.

With the linux distrubtion, I was given a setuptex script. I ran this, and
got nothing. I opend this script and uncommented the following lines and
put them at the bottom of the script:

# mktexlsr
# texexec --make --alone

I seemed to get a successful make, but then when I ran texecec I
got the following message:

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-1.00b-pretest-20020211-HO20020731-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.7)
kpathsea: Running mktexfmt  cont-en.efmt
fmtutil: no info for format `cont-en'.
Sorry, I can't find the format `cont-en.efmt'; will try `context.efmt'.
kpathsea: Running mktexfmt  context.efmt
fmtutil: no info for format `context'.
I can't find the format file `context.efmt'!

I got the same exact message when I ran perl texecec.pl with the main
CONTEXT distribution.

I already have a working distribution of TeX on my system. I know I need
to move some directories around and set up PATH to find the executable,
but I am at a loss what to move.

Thanks

Paul

PS

Could you cc me? I am not a part of the mailing list yet. I subscribed
yesterday and am waiting for the moderator to approve me.

--

************************
*Paul Tremblay         *

* Re: Can't install ConTeXt
@ 2005-02-21 10:36 ` VnPenguin
From: VnPenguin @ 2005-02-21 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 18:24:47 -0500, Paul Tremblay <phthenry@iglou.com> wrote:
> I've just dowloaded the ConTeXt form the website
>
> http://www.pragma-ade.com/download-1.htm
>
> I've downloaded both the "the main CONTEXT distribution" as well as "the
> minimal CONTEXT distribution (linux)"

How about teTeX 3.0 ?
I use it in my FC3 box and ConTeXt works very well :)

* Re: Can't install ConTeXt
@ 2005-02-21 17:24 ` Paul Tremblay
From: Paul Tremblay @ 2005-02-21 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Responding to my own email.

I finally found the documentation for installing ConTeXt burried in one
of the distribution I downloaded. However, this documenttion only told
me to unzip the archive in the appropriate directory. It did not tell me
what that appropriate directory was.

This page explained mor explicitly what to do:

http://home.salamander.com/~wmcclain/context-help.html#install

It told me to unzip the archive in the actual texmf directory and to
overwrite existing files. I did't do this before because I didn't think
I was supposed to overwrite existing files.

Actually, my first step in installing ConTeXt was to get a completely
new installation of LiveTeX. I had a lot of problems installing this.
When I ran texconfig, I was told that there was no config file in
//temfm/web2c. When I looked, sure enough, the config file was there.

The problem was that my old installation had put all the scripts, such
as kpsewhich in /usr/bin and my system was reading these executables. I
had to write a script comparing /usr/TeX/bin/i386-linux/ (my current
directory for TeX scripts) to /usr/bin (my old directory). If the same
executable was found in my old direcotry, I removed it.

After that, TeX worked fine. I then unzipped the ConTeXt archive in the
texmf directory, followed the instructions above, and seem to have
gotten everything working.

This took me two days to figure out, though! It was frustrating because
I was able to get ConTeXt working on my girfriend's Macintosh simply by
using an install package.

I hope someone will find these brief notes helpful.

Paul

--

************************
*Paul Tremblay         *

* Re: Can't install ConTeXt
@ 2005-02-21 21:48 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-02-21 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Tremblay wrote
:
> Both distributions give me a bunch of directories and scrits, but no
> instructions on where to put what.

you can put the minimal context in for instance

   mkdir /mytex

after that run

   . /mytex/setuptex /mytex

make sure that the file in /mytex/texmf-linux/bin path have the x flag set

   texexec --make --all

should work then

> This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-1.00b-pretest-20020211-HO20020731-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.7)
> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt  cont-en.efmt
> fmtutil: no info for format `cont-en'.
> Sorry, I can't find the format `cont-en.efmt'; will try `context.efmt'.
> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt  context.efmt
> fmtutil: no info for format `context'.
> I can't find the format file `context.efmt'!

strange, we have a newer pdftex version now; also, efmt is replaced by fmt

> I already have a working distribution of TeX on my system. I know I need
> to move some directories around and set up PATH to find the executable,
> but I am at a loss what to move.

you can keep the minimal context in a separate three; the setup script isolates
it from other tex's on your system

> Could you cc me? I am not a part of the mailing list yet. I subscribed
> yesterday and am waiting for the moderator to approve me.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE