* Paper size & page arranging
@ 2005-02-24  5:34 Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2005-02-24  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

The command

	\setuplayout[location=middle,scale=.5]

scales the document correctly, but if I use

	\setuparranging[2*2]

for example, the original scaling is broken.

What effect exactly does 'scale=...' in \definepapersize have?

There must surely exist a very simple and elegant solution to typeset
usual A4 pages scaled down to A5, so that two pages are placed on one in
lanscape mode, like in:

1. page (A4 landscape with two A4 pages scaled to A5)
*---*---*
|   |   |
| 1 | 2 |
|   |   |
*---*---*
2. page
*---*---*
|   |   |
| 3 | 4 |
|   |   |
*---*---*

... or that "any" page number (n*n or 2n*n in landscape mode, maybe some
other number if page proportions are different; and some blank space is
left on the borders) is placed on one page, like in (for 6*3):

*--*--*--*--*--*--*
| 1| 2| 3| 4| 5| 6|
*--*--*--*--*--*--*
| 7| 8| 9|10|11|12|
*--*--*--*--*--*--*
|13|14|15|16|17|18|
*--*--*--*--*--*--*

\setuparranging[...] does the job, but it is only suitable if someone
really wants to make a booklet out of it and one has to supply
"original" page sizes (for example A6 to be printed as 2*4 on A4).

Thank you,
	Mojca

* Re: Paper size & page arranging
@ 2005-02-24 19:42 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2005-02-24 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi  Mojca,

The most elegant way would of course be to have the document setup with
suitable pages. Then you can use the \setuparranging[XY] command, which
is basically meant for preparing businesscards and labels. This looks
then like

\setupoutput[pdftex]
\setuppapersize [A5,portrait][A4,landscape]
\setuppaper
         [dx=2mm,
         dy=0mm,
         nx=2,
         ny=1,
         margin=0,
         width=297mm,
         height=210mm]
\setuplayout
         [topspace=10mm]

\setuparranging[XY]

\starttext
\showframe
\chapter{Ward}
	\input ward
\chapter{Tufte}
	\input tufte
\chapter{Knuth}
	\input Knuth
\stoptext

If your document is already a PDF with A4 pages in it, you might use the
following command to arrange the pages:

texexec --pdfcombine --combination=2*2 inputfile.pdf --result=outputfile

This approach is meant for more than two pages per sheet.

Yet another approach could be

texexec --pdfarrange --paper=a5a4 --print=2up --result=outputfile
inputfile.pdf

As the last two texexec statements work on pdf files, the extension has
to be stated for the inputfile.
For the option paper all DIN papersizes from A0 to A9 can be used.

There is an article published in the MAPS28/2002. This issue of the MAPS
will be free for downloading in the next days.

Kind regards

Willi