* arabtex support
@ 2005-02-22  2:54 mohd zamri murah
       [not found] ` <421D14E0.7000602@wxs.nl>
From: mohd zamri murah @ 2005-02-22  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

there is a thread a while back about this from R. Elmers. search
contextgarden.net for detail.

I am using context 2005.31.1 and arabtex 3.11m on MacOSX ,  bas-ed on gwTeX.

I did play around this and found a few interesting things. The result
is simply wonderful. \placecontent and \section can appear in arabic!

1) I rename font-arb.tex to m-arabtex.tex and \usemodule[arabtex]. it
works. ( as to why it works and was it OK to do it, I cannot explain )

2) need to add at top of document , ( probably any font definition )
font-arb.tex did mention something about font macro.
    \usetypescript[postscript]
    \switchtotypeface[postscript]

if you did not, the body text will appear in \em .

3) there is some spurious arabic text, align left. I believe there is
bug in \startarabic ... \stoparabic code.

my request;
can Hans look over font-arb.tex, see if there need  some
updating/changes. It was written way back in 1999. can font-arb be
turn into a module?

My reason;
I am hoping to write a paper using jawi script, which is supported by
arabtex. I am aware of omega, aleph + context , xetex. but,
unfortunately, these 3 doesn't have the necessary jawi glyph.

with a bit of polishing, it believe arabext and context would be a
great tool for me.

many thanks in advance.

minimal test file below
=============== test.tex ===========================
\usemodule[arabtex]

\usetypescript[postscript]
\switchtotypeface[postscript]
% without this lines, body font appear in \em

\setarab % \<..> will not work if we skip this
\novocalize

\starttext
\placecontent

\section{\<mu.hammad>} % short arabic use \< .. >
\startarabic
mu.hammad 'i_d q"aAm zay"d" + i_d yaqUm zyd + A_d zyd q"aAm

mu.hammad 'i_d q"aAm zay"d" + i_d yaqUm zyd + A_d zyd q"aAm
\stoparabic

\section{\<al-maq.sad>}
\startarabic
mu.hammad 'i_d q"aAm zay"d" + i_d yaqUm zyd + A_d zyd q"aAm
\stoparabic

\stoptext

zamri

* Re: arabtex support
@ 2005-02-23  8:27 ` Hans Hagen
       [not found] ` <421D14E0.7000602@wxs.nl>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-02-23  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

mohd zamri murah wrote:

> 1) I rename font-arb.tex to m-arabtex.tex and \usemodule[arabtex]. it
> works. ( as to why it works and was it OK to do it, I cannot explain )

I wonder too since you exceed the 8 char limit of module names (i will remove
trat restriction in the next version of context); so i tested your file with

% \input m-arabtex
\input font-arb

> 2) need to add at top of document , ( probably any font definition )
> font-arb.tex did mention something about font macro.
>     \usetypescript[postscript]
>     \switchtotypeface[postscript]
>
> if you did not, the body text will appear in \em .

making it a module will get around this font switch (originally it was thought
that arabtex would be used for arab docs, but it's also used for mixed docs, so
a module more in sync with greek and chinese

> 3) there is some spurious arabic text, align left. I believe there is
> bug in \startarabic ... \stoparabic code.

i'll send you another version (i can't read arab so i dunny what is spurious or
not)

> can Hans look over font-arb.tex, see if there need  some
> updating/changes. It was written way back in 1999. can font-arb be
> turn into a module?

sure

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: arabtex support
@ 2005-02-24  3:47   ` mohd zamri murah
From: mohd zamri murah @ 2005-02-24  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

testing and result.

========== test.tex ====================================
\input font-arb % the new font-arb you send me
\starttext

\setarab
\novocalize % normal arab document doesn't have the vocal signs.

Some texts in arab. some random thought. here are some arabic words.
\<bwkw pndwAn>. Below some arabic word with english word. We can
combine them in one paragraph. % \<..> will produce line beyond the
margin. use for short arabic only.

\startarabic

  kAjyn ayn mmr.hAl sAtw prwtwtA'yp awntwq mnjAnkn dwkwmn jAwy dry
  dwkwmn rwmy <some english words> . ay mggwnAkn kwnsyp pgatwrcArA'n
brAsAskn kwmpwnwn . ay mggwnAkn kwnsyp pgatwrcArA'n brAsAskn kwmpwnwn.

\stoparabic

\stoptext

1) it fail with log;

mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour;
mag:=1; nonstopmode;
input ArabicItalic
This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.3)
kpathsea: Running mktexmf ArabicItalic

! I can't find file ArabicItalic'.

solution;
 add these to font-arb.tex near line 213.

\definefontsynonym [ArabicItalic]    [xnsh14]

% nash14 doesn't have italic. the error probably at line 43.

\font\arbfont=\truefontname{Arabic#1} at \currentfontscale\scratchdimen

2) the body text in english such as "some text ..." appear in \em.
 solution: add these to top of file test.tex.

\usetypescript[postscript]
\switchtotypescript[postscript]

3) the symbol "|" and "~" is broken in arabic mode.

code "\<kw|pm>" have error;

! Illegal arabic command: |.
\a@cmderr ...age {Illegal arabic command: \nxp #1}
                                                  \a@@cmd = {{\a@puttt #1\ar...
<argument> kw|
              pm
\a@sequence ...dt@line \initlineb@x \test@token #1
                                                   \end \box \lineb@x \egroup
\arab@insert ...b {#1}\fi \ifarab \a@sequence {#1}
                                                   \fi \iftrans \set@transfo...
l.25 \<kw|pm>

the "|" is needed to break some arabic ligature. the "~" is needed to
code a few arabic/jawi glyph. any idea how to proceed?

zamri

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 09:27:53 +0100, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> mohd zamri murah wrote:
>
> > 1) I rename font-arb.tex to m-arabtex.tex and \usemodule[arabtex]. it
> > works. ( as to why it works and was it OK to do it, I cannot explain )
>
> I wonder too since you exceed the 8 char limit of module names (i will remove
> trat restriction in the next version of context); so i tested your file with
>
> % \input m-arabtex
> \input font-arb
>
> > 2) need to add at top of document , ( probably any font definition )
> > font-arb.tex did mention something about font macro.
> >     \usetypescript[postscript]
> >     \switchtotypeface[postscript]
> >
> > if you did not, the body text will appear in \em .
>
> making it a module will get around this font switch (originally it was thought
> that arabtex would be used for arab docs, but it's also used for mixed docs, so
> a module more in sync with greek and chinese
>
> > 3) there is some spurious arabic text, align left. I believe there is
> > bug in \startarabic ... \stoparabic code.
>
> i'll send you another version (i can't read arab so i dunny what is spurious or
> not)
>
> > can Hans look over font-arb.tex, see if there need  some
> > updating/changes. It was written way back in 1999. can font-arb be
> > turn into a module?
>
> sure
>
> Hans

>       tel: 038 477 53 69 | fax: 038 477 53 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
>                                               | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: arabtex support
@ 2005-02-24 10:40     ` h h extern
From: h h extern @ 2005-02-24 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

mohd zamri murah wrote:
> testing and result.
>
> ========== test.tex ====================================
> \input font-arb % the new font-arb you send me
> \starttext
>
> \setarab
> \novocalize % normal arab document doesn't have the vocal signs.
>
> Some texts in arab. some random thought. here are some arabic words.
> \<bwkw pndwAn>. Below some arabic word with english word. We can
> combine them in one paragraph. % \<..> will produce line beyond the
> margin. use for short arabic only.
>
> \startarabic
>
>   kAjyn ayn mmr.hAl sAtw prwtwtA'yp awntwq mnjAnkn dwkwmn jAwy dry
>   dwkwmn rwmy <some english words> . ay mggwnAkn kwnsyp pgatwrcArA'n
> brAsAskn kwmpwnwn . ay mggwnAkn kwnsyp pgatwrcArA'n brAsAskn kwmpwnwn.
>
> \stoparabic
>
> \stoptext

with the attached file and \input m-arabtex (attached) it works here, (tex live
2005 fonts/arabtex)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: arabtex support - we broke something
       [not found] ` <421D14E0.7000602@wxs.nl>
@ 2005-02-24 15:15   ` mohd zamri murah
From: mohd zamri murah @ 2005-02-24 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Using test.tex and your new m-arabtex.tex, it fail. log and my solution below.

========= test.tex ====================================
\input m-arabtex
\usetypescript[postscript] \switchtotypeface[postscript]

\starttext

\setarab \novocalize

\section{\<mu.hammad>} %short arabic use \< ..>

here is some text in english. here in arabic .\<mu.hammad>. we can mix
them. hurray. we get both of them together. we can see this is fun and
going nowhere.

\startarabic % long arabic
  kAjyn ayn mmr.hAl sAtw prwtwtA'yp awntwq mnjAnkn dwkwmn jAwy dry
  dwkwmn rwmy .

  <hei, I am in english>

  ay mggwnAkn kwnsyp pgatwrcArA'n brAsAskn kwmpwnwn .
 ay mggwnAkn kwnsyp pgatwrcArA'n brAsAskn kwmpwnwn.
\stoparabic

\stoptext
error log;

! Extra \else.
\test@space ...\a@@putword \xpa \kill@space \else
                                                  \xpa \next@command \fi
<to be read again>

my solution;
comment these lines; (near line 402 ). probably the support for hebrew
broke things.
another possibility is that all these 3 files already loaded by
m-arabtex.tex and reload them break things.

%  \ReadFile{hebtex.sty}
%  \ReadFile{apatch.sty}
%  \ReadFile{hepatch.sty}

and the file compile OK.

I don't knew hebrew, however, I will try to understand the hebrew support.

the character "|" and "~" still produce "illegal command" in
\startarabic...\stoprabic. will try to trace this one.

be happy to write the manual later.

zamri

@ 2005-02-24 22:00     ` h h extern
From: h h extern @ 2005-02-24 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

mohd zamri murah wrote:

> Using test.tex and your new m-arabtex.tex, it fail. log and my solution below.

what version of arabtex do you use?

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2005-02-25 11:30       ` mzm
From: mzm @ 2005-02-25 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: mzm

Arabic processor `ArabTeX' [20050124 patch level 3.11m (24.01.2005)]

I believe the version is 3.11, patch level m. The one I from CTAN dated
at 24/01/2005.

On 25-Feb-05, at AM 06:00, h h extern wrote:

> mohd zamri murah wrote:
>
>> Using test.tex and your new m-arabtex.tex, it fail. log and my
>> solution below.
>
> what version of arabtex do you use?
>
> Hans

mohd zamri murah
fakulti teknologi sains maklumat
UKM

* Re: arabtex support - we broke something
@ 2005-02-27 20:55         ` h h extern
From: h h extern @ 2005-02-27 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

mzm wrote:
> Arabic processor `ArabTeX' [20050124 patch level 3.11m (24.01.2005)]
>
> I believe the version is 3.11, patch level m. The one I from CTAN dated
> at 24/01/2005.

hm, i run 3.08 (texlive) and that one runs ok; can you try 3.08

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2005-03-03 13:13           ` mzm
From: mzm @ 2005-03-03 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: mzm

cannot find arabtex 3.08 on the internet.
  at
	http://www.tug.org/ftp/texlive/Contents/live/texmf-dist/tex/latex/
arabtex/

I found arabtex 3.10a dated 26.04.2003, with apatch.sty version 3.11
dated 22.08.2003.
I look into context/arabtex support and report later. the document
arabdoc.pdf indicate there is arabtex version 4.0,
but I cannot seem to find it anywhere.
(http://129.69.218.213/arabtex/doc/arabdoc.pdf, dated ad march )

anyway, some options for arabtex;
	1) language - \setarab, \setfarsi, \seturdu, \setpashto, \setmaghribi,
\setmalay
      2) font - \setnash, \setnashbf
     3) vowalize - \fullvocalize, \vocalize, \novocalize

zamri

@ 2005-03-05 23:05             ` h h extern
From: h h extern @ 2005-03-05 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

mzm wrote:

> arabdoc.pdf indicate there is arabtex version 4.0,

just mail Klaus Lagally, he's very helpful

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE