* some bib module questions
@ 2005-01-21 21:55 Fei He
From: Fei He @ 2005-01-21 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Folks,

I am new beginner and have some rookie questions about using the bib module.

1. \setupcite[number][left=[, right=]] did not work. the citation
still shows up in the text like (author, year)

2. either \completepublications or \placepublications wont show the
publication list at the end of the paper without using
\setup[pubs][criterium=all].

3. \setuppublications[numbering=yes] fails to put a number before the
publication list at the end of the paper.

I got the most updated m-bib.zip from http://texaanhet.net/bib/ and
copied those file to my local hard drive at
...\texmf\tex\context\m-bib\. Also I just updated my context to the
new released version. By the way, I use pc and WinEdt.

I probably made several mistakes. please help. thanks a lot.

best,
fei

* Re: some bib module questions
@ 2005-01-22  8:21 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-01-22  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
Fei He wrote:

> 1. \setupcite[number][left=[, right=]] did not work. the citation
> still shows up in the text like (author, year)

In this case, you also need \setuppublications[refcommand=number],
to change the default alternative for \cite. Or you could have
used \cite[number][xxx] in the text instead of the defaulted version.

Are you sure you want 'number' instead of 'num'?

> 2. either \completepublications or \placepublications wont show the
> publication list at the end of the paper without using
> \setup[pubs][criterium=all].

This is a strange, but known, buglet. The cleanest way of fixing it is
\setuppublicationlist[criterium=all]

> 3. \setuppublications[numbering=yes] fails to put a number before the
> publication list at the end of the paper.

Try \setuppublicationlist[numbering=yes]
                      ^^^^

> I got the most updated m-bib.zip from http://texaanhet.net/bib/ and
> copied those file to my local hard drive at
> ...\texmf\tex\context\m-bib\. Also I just updated my context to the
> new released version.

If you have the very.very latest ConTeXt, you no longer need my zipped
files. The bib module is now included in the distribution.

Greetings and good luck,

Taco

* Re: some bib module questions
@ 2005-01-25 19:37   ` Fei He
From: Fei He @ 2005-01-25 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Taco,

Thanks for the help the other day. It fixed most of the problems.
However, it seems that i cannot get the publication list numbered
like:

[1]. pub1
[2.] pub2

Attached is what I did. Am I missing something? Thanks a lot. ---Fei

\usemodule[bib]
\setuppublications[sorttype=cite, refcommand=number]
\setupbibtex[database=c_intent]
\setupcite[num]
\setuppublicationlist[criterium=all]
\setuppublicationlist[numbering=yes]
\setuplist[pubs][criterium=all]

@ 2005-01-26  7:34     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-01-26  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fei He wrote:
> Hello Taco,
>
> Thanks for the help the other day. It fixed most of the problems.
> However, it seems that i cannot get the publication list numbered
> like:
>
> [1]. pub1
> [2.] pub2

Here's what you need:

   \usemodule[bib]

   \def\bracketed#1{[#1]} % adapt as desired

   \setuppublications
     [sorttype=cite, % list by cite order
      refcommand=num, % cite list item no.
      numbering=yes,  % display list item no. in list
      numbercommand=\bracketed] % show brackets

   \setuppublicationlist[criterium=all] % for that bug

Greetings, Taco

* Re: some bib module questions
@ 2005-02-02  4:05       ` Fei He
From: Fei He @ 2005-02-02  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Taco,

Thanks for the help. The instructions you gave worked briefly for a
few days. Some weird things happened after I re-installed my miktex
and updated the context to the newest version (01/20/05).

here is what i did:

\usemodule[bib]
\def\bracketed#1{[#1]}

\setuppublications
    [sorttype=cite,
     refcommand=num,
     numbering=yes,
     numbercommand=\bracketed]

\setupbibtex[database=c_intent]
\setuppublicationlist[criterium=all]

It stops producing ''References" at the end of the text and stops
generating the publication list. refcommand=num fails to generate the
cite number. If changing to refcommand=number, then it will generate
the cite number but still fails to produce the Reference section and
no publication list.

Context seems more complicated than Latex.

Thanks a lot for the help!!

Best,
Fei

@ 2005-02-02 13:48         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-02-02 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fei He wrote:
> Hello Taco,
>
> Thanks for the help. The instructions you gave worked briefly for a
> few days. Some weird things happened after I re-installed my miktex
> and updated the context to the newest version (01/20/05).

You should fetch the latest version, again. The context versions from
januari until 2005.01.31 had a major bug in \placepublications so
that it only worked with if there is precisely one \cite command.

> Context seems more complicated than Latex.

Perhaps true. But please remember that bibliographies are new to
ConTeXt, whereas they have been in LaTeX from the early beginnings
(and that we use a LaTeX-specific database processor bibTeX doesn't
help either).

Greetings, Taco

* Re: some bib module questions
@ 2005-03-07 18:38   ` Mark Smith
From: Mark Smith @ 2005-03-07 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

This came up a while back...

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>Fei He wrote:
>
>> 1. \setupcite[number][left=[, right=]] did not work. the citation
>> still shows up in the text like (author, year)
>
>In this case, you also need \setuppublications[refcommand=number],
>to change the default alternative for \cite. Or you could have
>used \cite[number][xxx] in the text instead of the defaulted version.
>
>Are you sure you want 'number' instead of 'num'?

...and now I have a similar problem.

I have this in my setup:

        \usemodule[bib]
                \setuppublications[sorttype=cite]
                \setuppublications[criterium=used]
                \setuppublications[numbering=yes]
                \setuppublications[refcommand=number]

                \setupcite[num][left=[, inbetween=-, right=]]

                \setupbibtex[database=myBibTeXfile, sort=no]

I'm using \cite[Cite Key] (e.g. \cite[Bush2005a, Rice2005b] ) for my input file citations.

In my current headache file, My first citation in my input file has four individual references.

I would like to see:

        blah blah [1–4] blah blah

I'm getting:

        blah blah [113, 106, 78, 87]

These numbers generated are the database sequence numbers.

So, obviously I"ve got something wrong in my setup since I want the citations to start at (1) for the first citation and increment as new papers get called irrespective of their order in the .bib file.

I guess:

        refcommand=number

and/or:

        setupcite[num]

are inappropriate and/or something else is missing, but I can't find the magic combo.

I can't tell whether my "citation lists" are going to be compressed (assuming I have correctly surmised what "compressed" means), because I don't get any consecutive runs with the numbering "error". I could fake this to check whether the compression kicks in, but since I'm here already, maybe some fine ConTeXpert could comment on whether I'll get the desired e.g.

        [2,5-7]

rather than:

        [2,5,6,7]

once I get the numbering sorted out ?

wtia,

mark.

* Re: some bib module questions
@ 2005-03-12 15:24     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-03-12 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Smith wrote:

> I guess:
>         refcommand=number
> and/or:
>         setupcite[num]
 >
 > are inappropriate and/or something else is missing, but I can't find
 > the magic combo.

You need 'num' in both, or 'number' in both.

> I can't tell whether my "citation lists" are going to be compressed
>         [2,5-7]
> rather than:
>         [2,5,6,7]
 > once I get the numbering sorted out ?

yes, that is what compression does, and it is turned on by default.

Greetings, Taco.

PS. Sorry for delayed reply, I was at euroTeX past week.

* Re: some bib module questions
@ 2005-03-12 19:09       ` Mark Smith
From: Mark Smith @ 2005-03-12 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>You need 'num' in both, or 'number' in both.

...as simple as that ?

Great.

I can only suggest that I was drawn to:

        refcommand=number
&
        setupcite[num]

because specifically these are suggested (albeit not as a combination) in the readme. In the interests of finding out whether I'm odd. Was anybody else led astray by this ?

>compression
[...]
>is turned on by default.

Fine.

>Greetings, Taco.
>
>PS. Sorry for delayed reply, I was at euroTeX past week.

No need to apologize.

thanks,

mark.

* Re: some bib module questions
@ 2005-03-13 10:52         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-03-13 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Smith wrote:

> because specifically these are suggested (albeit not
 > as a combination) in the readme. In the interests
 > of finding out whether I'm odd. Was anybody else
 > led astray by this ?

Probably, because these questions keep popping up. I've
added a 'improve documentation' to my todo list

Greetings, Taco