* Document structure - some questions
@ 2005-03-12 11:53 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2005-03-12 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!

I have quite a few questions about ConTeXt (and more coming, I guess!).
As a newbie, many things seem difficult for me.  For now, the questions
are:

How does \part exactly work?  I could see: messing with pagenumbers; part
title not appearing; strange behaviour in eg backmatter...

How do exactly front, body, back matter and appendices environments work?

How do the system modes (*...-modes) work exactly?  I managed to make
\startmode[*interaction] ... \stopmode
work, but what about the others "starred" modes?

What are the possible parameters for the \setupoutput command?

Sorry for asking so many things...  I hope that when I know the answers I
will be able to put some articles on ConTeXt wiki, so that other people do
not bother you with the same questions again and again.

Greetings

--
Marcin Borkowski

* Re: Document structure - some questions
@ 2005-03-13 11:35 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2005-03-13 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Marcin,

Marcin Borkowski wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have quite a few questions about ConTeXt (and more coming, I guess!).
> As a newbie, many things seem difficult for me.  For now, the questions
> are:
>
> How does \part exactly work?  I could see: messing with pagenumbers; part
> title not appearing; strange behaviour in eg backmatter...

Exactly? That is what I know: part is the highest level of a structure
(e.g. a book). Part title will not occur in the TOC unless you change
the settings manually (look in the main manual for
\setuppagenumbering,look at chapter "text elements" main manual, pp 135,

> How do exactly front, body, back matter and appendices environments work?

By means of these you van devide a document in different portions, which
  have each their own "style" e.g. pagenumber in roman numerals,
headings numbered with characters instead of figures (e,g, appendices).
Of course you can change the standard set options.

> How do the system modes (*...-modes) work exactly?  I managed to make
> \startmode[*interaction] ... \stopmode
> work, but what about the others "starred" modes?

Hm, no experience with these, thoug using extensively mode-structures...

> What are the possible parameters for the \setupoutput command?

[pdftex][dvi]

> Sorry for asking so many things...  I hope that when I know the answers I
> will be able to put some articles on ConTeXt wiki, so that other people do
> not bother you with the same questions again and again.
You are welcome.

There is a lot of information available. Context knows a bunch of
manuals: http://www.pragma-ade.com/  and there is a wiki:
http://contextgarden.net/Main_Page

Kind regards Willi

@ 2005-03-13 12:05   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-03-13 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Willi,
Hi Marcin,

>> How do the system modes (*...-modes) work exactly?  I managed to make
>> \startmode[*interaction] ... \stopmode
>> work, but what about the others "starred" modes?

Most of these modes are only set part of the time. For instance,
the *sectionnumber mode is only sensible when it used from a macro that
is called from within the processing of the section title's typesetting
commands.

This would for instance happen if you had

   \setuphead[section][command=\Mymacro]

somewhere. This entire *sectionnumber system mode makes no sense at
an other time.

I hope that helps.

>> What are the possible parameters for the \setupoutput command?
>

> [pdftex][dvi]

To be a bit more precise (stuff on same line is an alias):

   dvipsone      % dvi for processing by YandY's dvipsone
   dviwindo      % dvi for viewing by dviwindo
   dvips         % dvi for processing by dvips
   dviview       % dvi for viewing by dviview
   pdftex,pdf    % pdf for pdftex
   dvipdfm,dpm   % dvi for subsequent use with dvipdfm
   dvipdfmx,dpx  % dvi for subsequent use with dvipdfmx
   acrobat       % dvi for subsequent distilling with acrobat
   xetex,xtx     % xdv for XeTeX

default is normally 'dvips'

Greetings, Taco