* LuaTeX on Mac OS X
@ 2007-10-01 21:31 Otared Kavian
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Otared Kavian @ 2007-10-01 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dalyoung Jeong; +Cc: mailing ConTeXt users list for

Dear Dalyoung,

Like many other ConTeXt users I followed up the many threads about
how to install, successfully, LuaTeX.
In particular I was interested in your experience since I had more or
less the same problems as the ones you described in your latest
messages on the list.
Now my question is: did you succeed to install and use LuaTeX on Mac
OS X?
	--- If yes, could you please describe how you did proceed?
	--- If no, this means we have to wait more for our salvation...

Thanks for your attention and best regards: OK

* Re: LuaTeX on Mac OS X
@ 2007-10-02 12:27 Dalyoung Jeong
From: Dalyoung Jeong @ 2007-10-02 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing ConTeXt users list for

Dear Hans,

Thank you for the reply.

Here is the codes of luatools.lua from line number 1106 -

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
1106: if md5 then do

1107:    local function convert(str,fmt)
1108:        return (string.gsub(md5.sum(str),".",function(chr)
return string.format(fmt,string.byte(chr)) end))
1109:   end

     if not md5.HEX then function md5.HEX(str) return convert(str,"%
02X") end end
     if not md5.hex then function md5.hex(str) return convert(str,"%
02x") end end
     if not md5.dec then function md5.dec(str) return convert(stt,"%
03i") end end

end end

%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Since most people didn't have the problem in installation. it
reminded me a problem when I installed the XeTeX a long time ago.
After installed files of XeTeX, I tried to make a format, but I
couldn't succeed. I reported the error message to XeTeX mailing list,
but every one had no problem to install and to make a format. They
said that it was good in their system.
Finally Jonathan found that it was related with my OSX(OSX korean
version) even though I put english at the top priority in the
preference panel.
He installed korean in his system to locate the problem and removed
the problems.

Is this problem related with my OSX?

I hope that the line 1108 gives you a clue of my problem.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Dalyoung

* Re: LuaTeX on Mac OS X
@ 2007-10-03  1:13 Jeong Dalyoung
From: Jeong Dalyoung @ 2007-10-03  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear Hans,

Thank you for your concern.

There is no non-ascii character in folder names except ~/Documents/.

And the TeX directory is

/usr/local/texlive/{2007, texmf-local}/...

By the way, where is setuptex command which can be used in Mac? I
tried before as in the wiki, but it couldn't find such a command.

Thank you again.

Best regards,

Dalyoung

* Re: LuaTeX on Mac OS X
@ 2007-10-04  9:12 Dalyoung Jeong
From: Dalyoung Jeong @ 2007-10-04  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Thomas, Mojca, and Otared,

Thank you for the instructions. I think that I followed the
instructions of installation without problems. But I have a problem
running luatools.

A few week ago, I succeeded running luatools --generate, but not
luatools --ini --... after making .luatex containg variables like
TEXMF, TEXMFCNF, etc.

I removed gwTeX and reinstalled MacTeX, I did the same steps of
installation and I got the errors. At this time, even "luatools --
generate" didn't run correctly. It is ooking for the wrong folder.

I tried "setuptex"(copy setuptex to the binary, and chmod 755 to
run), but it asked me to "provide a proper tex directory like /
something/tex"

It seems to me that luatools are not able to get the texlive home
dirextory.
I may try once more using another mac because sometime it behaved
differently.

Thank you for your concern.

Best regards,

Dalyoung

* Re: LuaTeX on Mac OS X
@ 2007-10-06  3:47 Jeong Dalyoung
From: Jeong Dalyoung @ 2007-10-06  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: otared

Dear Thomas, Hans, and all

I am sorry to give another noise to you. I did install luatex once
more and I'd like to report the results.

I removed TeX completely and reinstalled gwTeX again.
After that I followed the instructions given by Thomas. I made
".luatex" for the variables which contains the following lines:

export TEXMFCACHE="/tmp"
export TEXMFCNF="/usr/local/gwTeX"
export TEXMF="{/Users/dalyoung/Library/texmf,/usr/local/gwTeX/
texmf.local,/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.pkgs,/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.gwtex,/
usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive,/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf}"
export LUAINPUTS="{/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.pkgs/tex/context/base,/usr/
local/gwTeX/texmf.pkgs/scripts/context/lua}"

After running "source .luatex", "luatools --generate" worked well.
I tried to run "luatools --ini --verbose --compile cont-en", but
there are several error occurred.

1. ...
(/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.pkgs/tex/context/base/lang-ini.mkiv
! LuaTeX error ...local/gwTeX/texmf.pkgs/tex/context/base/lang-
ini.lua:9: attempt to index global 'lang' (a nil value).
\ctxluabytecode ...ode " .. "#1" .. str) end end }

\registerctxluafile ...{\the \luabytecodecounter }
                                                   \fi \fi
l.16 \registerctxluafile{lang-ini}{1.001}

?
[snip]

2. many of the following for all the languages.

Copyright 1990-2007 / PRAGMA ADE / J. Hagen - A.F. Otten

system (LUATEX) : [line 628]
)
system : cont-usr loaded
(/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.pkgs/tex/context/config/cont-usr.tex
)
! LuaTeX error [string "luas[0]"]:1: attempt to call field
'register' (a nil value).
\mkdoloadpatterns ... #2.\f!hyphensextension }") }

\next1 #1,->\preloadallpatterns {#1}
                                     \doprocesscommaitem
<argument> \relax nl,

fr,de,it,pt,hr,pl,cz,sk,sl,vn,ru,en,uk,us,agr,da,sv,af,...
\doprocesscommalist ...aitem \gobbleoneargument #1
                                                   ,]\relax \global
\advance ...
\preloadallpatterns ...uages ]\preloadallpatterns
                                                   \global \let
\preloadallpa...
\loaduserspecifications ...se \preloadallpatterns
                                                   \fi
l.22 \loaduserspecifications

?
3.
! LuaTeX error [string "luas[0]"]:1: attempt to call field
'register' (a nil value).
\mkdoloadpatterns ... #2.\f!hyphensextension }") }

l.26 \installlanguage [\s!en] [\c!state=\v!start]

! LuaTeX error [string "luas[0]"]:1: attempt to call field
'register' (a nil value).
\mkdoloadpatterns ... #2.\f!hyphensextension }") }

l.27 \installlanguage [\s!uk] [\c!state=\v!start]

According to those lines, I assume that it is related with the
languages. But I really do not know both causes and cures.

Thank you so much for all the helps you gave.

Best regards,

Dalyoung

* Re: LuaTeX on Mac OS X
@ 2007-10-08  1:44 Dalyoung Jeong
From: Dalyoung Jeong @ 2007-10-08  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing ConTeXt users list for

Dear Thomas,

I didn't recognize that there was an answer for the problem already.
It is a good news. I am almost close.

Thank you again.

Best regards,

Dalyoung