From: Duncan Hothersall <dh@capdm.com>
Subject: Header background won't go away
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 19:18:02 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi all.

I have a book with parts and chapters, which wants a tint in the
background of the header line. I have the following set-up producing
almost what I want (apologies for the length but I've stripped out as
much as I can to still show the same effect):

--
\setupsectionblock[bodypart][page=right]
%...
\setuplayout[location=doublesided,
         backspace=8.5pc,topspace=5.5pc,top=0pt,topdistance=0pt,
         header=12pt,headerdistance=12pt,height=61pc,footer=16pt,
	bottom=6pc,leftedge=9pc,leftedgedistance=0pt,leftmargin=0pt,
	leftmargindistance=0pt,width=29pc,rightmargindistance=0pt,
	rightmargin=6.5pc,rightedgedistance=0pt,rightedge=6.5pc]
\setuphead[part]
      [placehead=yes,command=\XPart,resetnumber=no,page=right,
       header=high,before=,after=]
\def\XPart#1#2{#1 #2} %simplified
\setuphead[chapter]
      [command=\XChapter,header=high,
       before=\vbox to 14pc\bgroup,after=\vss\egroup]
\def\XChapter#1#2{#1 #2} %simplified
%...
\setupcolors[rgb=no,cmyk=no,spot=yes,state=start]
\definecolor[PantoneTwoNineFour][c=1,m=.56,y=0,k=.18]
\definecolor[IFSblueheadertint][PantoneTwoNineFour][p=.12]
%...
\setupbackgrounds[header]
      [leftedge,leftmargin,text,rightmargin,rightedge]
      [background=color,backgroundcolor=IFSblueheadertint,state=start]
\setupheader[state=start]
\setupheadertexts[margin]
	[]
	[\hfill\llap{\tfx\getmarking[chapter][current]}]
	[\hbox to \leftmarginwidth{\rlap{\tfx\getmarking[section][last]\hfil}}]
	[]
%...
\starttext
\startbodymatter
\part{First part}
Looks good, but still has band on next page
\chapter{First chapter}
Looks good, no band on first page of chapter. \page[yes]
\section{First section}
Looks good, the band is there. \page[yes]
\section{Second section}
Looks good, the band is still there.
\chapter{Second chapter}
Ugh, the band has impinged on my title, and I'm getting an extra odd
page at the end too.
\stopbodymatter
\stoptext
--

The above code runs in live.contextgarden.net and demonstrates my
problems, which are:

1. The big problem - the second chapter title page doesn't suppress the
band, even though the first one did. NB this behaviour seems to change
depending on whether the previous chapter ends on an odd or even page.
Bug, or incorrect header setup?

2. Empty pages (like the back of the part title) have the colour band on
them - how can this be suppressed for empty pages?

3. There's an extra odd page at the end (I've tried a few of the
suggested fixes for this but can't get them to work).

If anyone can answer, especially question 1, I'd be really grateful!

Thanks,

Duncan
dh@capdm.com