* Re: Times New Toman
@ 2005-03-16  4:03 ishamid
From: ishamid @ 2005-03-16  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear fellow conspirators,

more about my attempts to get times new roman working:

I could find neither context.cnf nor type-mws.tex in the distribution. Anyway,
here is my attempt at a typescript file: note that arial provides the
companion sans serif: any comments will be appreciated.

Question: What is "\typescriptthree"?

I'm assuming there is also a [font:fallback:serif] option.

Best
Idris

\starttypescript [serif] [timesnewroman] [name]

\setups[font:fallback:serif]

\definefontsynonym[Serif]          [TimesNewRoman]

\definefontsynonym[SerifBold]      [TimesNewRoman-Bold]

\definefontsynonym[SerifItalic]    [TimesNewRoman-Italic]

\definefontsynonym[SerifBoldItalic][TimesNewRoman-BoldItalic]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [timesnewroman] [texnansi]

\definefontsynonym [TimesNewRoman]
[\typescriptthree-timesnewroman]
[encoding=\typescriptthree]

\definefontsynonym [TimesNewRoman-Bold]
[\typescriptthree-timesnewromanb]
[encoding=\typescriptthree]

\definefontsynonym [TimesNewRoman-Italic]
[\typescriptthree-timesnewromani]
[encoding=\typescriptthree]

\definefontsynonym [TimesNewRoman-BoldItalic]
[\typescriptthree-timesnewromanz]
[encoding=\typescriptthree]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [map] [timesnewroman] [texnansi]

\loadmapfile[texnansi-microsoft-timesnewroman.map]

\stoptypescript

\usetypescriptfile[type-tnr]

\definetypeface [timesnewroman]
[ss] [sans] [arial] [default]
[encoding=texnansi]

\definetypeface [timesnewroman]
[rm] [serif] [timesnewroman] [default]
[encoding=texnansi,rscale=1.1]

\definetypeface [timesnewroman]
[mm] [math] [palatino] [default]
[encoding=texnansi,rscale=1.1]

\definetypeface [timesnewroman]
[tt] [mono] [modern] [default]
[encoding=texnansi,rscale=1.25]

Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: Times New Toman
@ 2005-03-16  7:45 ` Stefan Wachter
From: Stefan Wachter @ 2005-03-16  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

ishamid wrote:

> Question: What is "\typescriptthree"?

I think it is the third parameter that is supplied to a typescript. In
your case its value is always "texnansi" because your typescript does
not allow several values for the third parameter.

--Stefan

* Times New Toman
@ 2005-03-16  3:36 ishamid
From: ishamid @ 2005-03-16  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear consortium,

I'm having trouble preparing times new roman for ConTeXt. I'm trying to follow
the instructions in mag-0009.pdf, but TeXfont does not want to behave:-(

\system_fonts>texfont --vendor=microsoft --collection=times
--encoding=texnansi --pattern=times*.afm

 TeXFont 1.5 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 2000-2001 (STILL BETA)

   processing aborted : unknown option --pattern=times*.afm

I tried things manually without the --pattern option and got a

texnansi-microsoft-times.tex

file, from which I manually constructed a

texnansi-microsoft-times.map

file with four lines:

texnansi-raw-times    4 < times.pfb   texnansi.enc
texnansi-raw-timesbd  4 < timesbd.pfb texnansi.enc
texnansi-raw-timesbi  4 < timesbi.pfb texnansi.enc
texnansi-raw-timesi   4 < timesi.pfb  texnansi.enc

I then tried manually constructing the tfm files with afm2tfm but alas...

\system_fonts>afm2tfm times[bd|bi|i]
! no Adobe characters
% LIGKERN ff l =: ffl ;
^
and empty tfm files

Not sure where to go from here...

I'm also going to need Arial from WINNT\Fonts as well...

Idris