* footnote placement
@ 2005-03-18  4:24 ishamid
From: ishamid @ 2005-03-18  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear syndicate,

1. When I place footnotes as endnotes, they overflow the page, like an
oversize \vbox.

2. E.g.

\input tufte

does not work from inside \footnote{}

Here is a test file.

Best
Idris

==================test-notes===================
\setupoutput[pdftex]

\setupfootnotes[location=text]

\starttext

\dorecurse{14}
{\input tufte\footnote{Here is a footnote.\par
Here is a footnote.\par Here is a footnote.}
\par
\input knuth\footnote{Here is a footnote.\par
Here is a footnote.\par Here is a footnote.}
\par}

%\dorecurse{14} % THIS DOES NOT WORK!!!
%{\input tufte\footnote{\input tufte}
%\par
%\input knuth\footnote{\input knuth}
%\par}

\section{notes}

\placefootnotes[location=text,split=tolerant]
% the split option does not help:-(

\stoptext

============================
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* footnote placement
@ 2005-03-21 15:34 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-03-21 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear gang,

I think this may have been missed, so I'm sending it again.

Best
Idris
============Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:24:43 -0700==========
Dear syndicate,

1. When I place footnotes as endnotes, they overflow the page, like an
oversize \vbox.

2. E.g.

\input tufte

does not work from inside \footnote{}

Here is a test file.

Best
Idris

==================test-notes===================
\setupoutput[pdftex]

\setupfootnotes[location=text]

\starttext

\dorecurse{14}
{\input tufte\footnote{Here is a footnote.\par Here is a footnote.\par
Here is a footnote.}
\par
\input knuth\footnote{Here is a footnote.\par Here is a footnote.\par Here
is a footnote.}
\par}

%\dorecurse{14} % THIS DOES NOT WORK!!!
%{\input tufte\footnote{\input tufte}
%\par
%\input knuth\footnote{\input knuth}
%\par}

\section{notes}

\placefootnotes[location=text,split=tolerant]
% the split option does not help:-(

\stoptext

Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* RE: footnote placement
@ 2005-03-29 15:30 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-03-29 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

>===== Original Message From Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> =====
> \starttext
>> \startbuffer[tufte]
>> \input tufte
>> \stopbuffer
>> \startbuffer[knuth]
>> \input knuth
>> \stopbuffer
>> \dorecurse{100}{test \footnote{\typebuffer[knuth]} \endnote{eee}\endgraf}
>
>it's \getbuffer else you indeed get a verbatim buffer (which is what type
does);

>\dorecurse{100}{test \footnote{\input knuth } \endnote{eee}\endgraf}

So \endgraf (or \par) is needed here; I should have guessed-)

>also works; put a space or \relax after \input, else tex keeps scanning;
>alternatively use \ReadFile{knuth} or \readfile{knuth}{}{}

I definitely prefer the \ReadFile option. I could not find it (or
\readfile{}{}{}) in ConTeXt Commands or texshow; must be new...

What's the difference between these two commands?

Also: given the ConTeXt philosophy, shouldn't there be a non-cryptic
replacement for \par or \endgraf, something like \paragraph or \endparagraph?

Best
Idris

============================

@ 2005-03-29 15:31 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-03-29 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

>\setupnote[endnote][location=none]
>
>\starttext
>
>\dorecurse{100}{test \endnote{eee}\endgraf}
>
>\page
>
>\placenotes[endnote]
>
>\stoptext

For the record, this also works:-)

%\setupnote[endnote][location=none]
\setupfootnotes[location=none]

\starttext

\dorecurse{14}{\ReadFile{tufte}\footnote{\ReadFile{tufte}}\par}

\page

%\placenotes[endnote]
\placefootnotes[location=none]

\stoptext

It seems that \endnote is also new; nice-)

Idris

@ 2017-07-20  9:16 Meer, Hans van der
From: Meer, Hans van der @ 2017-07-20  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

It happens that a footnote generated on a certain page is typeset on the page preceding it. Rather than that, I would like to force a footnote to appear either on the page where it is defined or on the following page. Can such behaviour  be enforced?
Currently this is my footnote setup:
\setupnotes   [footnote][split=verystrict]
\setupnotation[footnote][way=bypage,numberconversion=set 2,headstyle=small]

Hans van der Meer