* Two problems with my chapter quote setup
@ 2005-03-19 19:42 Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2005-03-19 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've got this in my environment file:

\def\ClearChapterQuote{\def\ChapterQuote{}}
\ClearChapterQuote
\def\ChQuoteFormat#1{\starttext%
         \startalignment[left]%
         \startnarrower[4*left] \noindent{\hyphenpenalty 10000\em #1}%
         \stopnarrower\stopalignment\stoptext\blank}
\setuphead[chapter]
         [page=left,
         before={\ChQuoteFormat{\ChapterQuote}\noheaderandfooterlines%
                 \page[right]\blank[2*big]},
         after={\ClearChapterQuote\blank[3*big]}%
                 \noheaderandfooterlines]

I've got two problems with this setup:

First, even with the \hyphenpenalty I get this line breaking:

For what can a man accomplish that has not been done
a million times before? What can he say that he will not
find in Lao-Tse or the Bhagavad-gita or the Prophet Isa-
iah?
John Steinbeck — Sweet Thursday

(Interestingly, when I copy/paste this from Apple's Preview.app I get

For what can a man accomplish that has not been done a million times
before? What can he say that he will not find in Lao-Tse or the
Bhagavad-gita or the Prophet Isaiah? John Steinbeck — Sweet Thursday)

no -, no line break, etc. Anyway: this line breaking is really ugly. I
can fix this by hand, but I'd rather have this working automatically.

My second problem is that I get two empty numbered pages between
chapters. As in
page 13: last text of chapter 1
page 14: empty page with page number
page 15: empty page with page number
page 16: page with quote and no page number
page 17: first page of chapter 2 no page number

I'd like to get rid of pages 14 and 15. I think I need to only do a
page=left when I am on a right page at that time (page=even has the
same result)

Thanks,

* Re: Two problems with my chapter quote setup
@ 2005-03-19 20:09 ` Patrick Gundlach
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2005-03-19 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gerben,

do you have a minimal source file to let us try out?

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki: http://contextgarden.net

* Re: Re: Two problems with my chapter quote setup
@ 2005-03-19 22:11   ` Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2005-03-19 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

I will try to create one. How do I again put in a series of tufte?

@ 2005-03-19 22:15     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2005-03-19 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

> I will try to create one. How do I again put in a series of tufte?

\dorecurse{20}{\input tufte \par}

Patrick
--

@ 2005-03-19 22:29   ` Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2005-03-19 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19 Mar 2005, at 21:09, Patrick Gundlach wrote:

> Gerben,
>
> do you have a minimal source file to let us try out?

It seems not to be so simple to reproduce in a small file. It seems to
be connected to the project structure.

* Re: Re: Two problems with my chapter quote setup
@ 2005-03-19 22:51   ` Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2005-03-19 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was unable to reproduce the problem in a small file. It does appear
in a project structure.

But I have an archive that displays the problem:

http://mail.rna.nl/~gerben/problem-test.tar.gz

@ 2005-03-19 23:19     ` Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2005-03-19 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

It seems to happen when at stopfrontmatter and startappendices.

@ 2005-03-20 17:05     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2005-03-20 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

> http://mail.rna.nl/~gerben/problem-test.tar.gz

I get only a blank page.

Patrick
--

@ 2005-03-20 22:03       ` Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2005-03-20 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20 Mar 2005, at 18:05, Patrick Gundlach wrote:

> [...]
>
>> http://mail.rna.nl/~gerben/problem-test.tar.gz
>
> I get only a blank page.

If you open problem-test/products/prd_book.pdf from the archive you
will see that on the page numbered 7 (the 9th page in the PDF file)
there is text. At that stage the frontmatter ends and the first chapter
should start. It should start with the quote on page 8 (without a page
number) and the start of the chapter on page 9. But what actually
happens is that 8 and 9 are empty pages with a page number and the
quote is on page 10 and the chapter starts on 11.

I suspect that \stopfrontmatter forces a page. Hans?

@ 2005-03-20 22:34         ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2005-03-20 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> On 20 Mar 2005, at 18:05, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
>
> >> http://mail.rna.nl/~gerben/problem-test.tar.gz
> >
> > I get only a blank page.
>
> If you open problem-test/products/prd_book.pdf from the archive you
> will see that on the page numbered 7 (the 9th page in the PDF file)
> there is text. At that stage the frontmatter ends and the first chapter
> should start. It should start with the quote on page 8 (without a page
> number) and the start of the chapter on page 9. But what actually
> happens is that 8 and 9 are empty pages with a page number and the
> quote is on page 10 and the chapter starts on 11.
>
> I suspect that \stopfrontmatter forces a page. Hans?

I didn't download your archive, but perhaps your problem is related to
http://contextgarden.net/Empty_page_at_the_end
Greetings, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: Re: Two problems with my chapter quote setup
@ 2005-03-21  1:46         ` h h extern
From: h h extern @ 2005-03-21  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gerben Wierda wrote:
> On 20 Mar 2005, at 18:05, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
>

>> [...]
>>
>>> http://mail.rna.nl/~gerben/problem-test.tar.gz
>>

>> I get only a blank page.
>

> If you open problem-test/products/prd_book.pdf from the archive you will
> see that on the page numbered 7 (the 9th page in the PDF file) there is
> text. At that stage the frontmatter ends and the first chapter should
> start. It should start with the quote on page 8 (without a page number)
> and the start of the chapter on page 9. But what actually happens is
> that 8 and 9 are empty pages with a page number and the quote is on page
> 10 and the chapter starts on 11.
>
> I suspect that \stopfrontmatter forces a page. Hans?

indeed

   \setupsectionblock [frontpart] [page=] % yes by default

the reason is that marks needs to be synchronized; if you add your own \page
command, make sure that you do it at the right moment

page changes are always a bit tricky esp since one wants header etc to be nicely
in sync as well; also,

\page <some node> \page

can introduce empty pages (tex related, not so much context)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2005-03-21  6:30           ` Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2005-03-21  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20 Mar 2005, at 23:34, Peter Münster wrote:

>>> I get only a blank page.
>>
>> If you open problem-test/products/prd_book.pdf from the archive you
>> will see that on the page numbered 7 (the 9th page in the PDF file)
>> there is text. At that stage the frontmatter ends and the first
>> chapter
>> should start. It should start with the quote on page 8 (without a page
>> number) and the start of the chapter on page 9. But what actually
>> happens is that 8 and 9 are empty pages with a page number and the
>> quote is on page 10 and the chapter starts on 11.
>>
>> I suspect that \stopfrontmatter forces a page. Hans?
>
> I didn't download your archive, but perhaps your problem is related to
> http://contextgarden.net/Empty_page_at_the_end

Yes, that is it! Thanks.