* kerning and TFM problems
@ 2005-03-21 16:55 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2005-03-21 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I want to use OSX HelveticaNeue font.

So I open it in FontForge and - because I'd like to use the kerning
information - generate the Font with its PFB, AFM and TFM files.

According to Bill's help page it should work by (renaming and)
placing the phnr8r.tfm in its tfm folder, the phnr8a.afm and
phnr8a.pfb in its respective folders (within my texfm-font tree).

Then I need a mapfile texnansi-helveticaneue.map with the line:

phnr8r HelveticaNeue 4 < phnr8a.pfb texnansi.enc

And my test file looks like this:

\loadmapfile[texnansi-adobe-helveticaneue.map]

\definefontsynonym[HelveticaNeue][phnr8r][encoding=texnansi]
\definefont[MySecondFont][HelveticaNeue]
\starttext
\MySecondFont I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold
there grew.
\stoptext

But it results in problems with the TFM file. Why?

! Font \**MySecondFont**=phnr8r at 12.0pt not loadable: Bad metric (TFM) file.
<to be read again>
                    \relax
\dododefinefont ...ontspec {#2}\rawfontidentifier
                                                   \let \localrelativefontsiz...

\redodefinefont #1#2#3->\dododefinefont {#1}{#2}
                                                 \doifsetupselse {#3} {\setup...
l.7 \MySecondFont
                   I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold th...

?

Steffen

* Re: kerning and TFM problems
@ 2005-03-21 17:02 ` luigi.scarso
From: luigi.scarso @ 2005-03-21 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to use OSX HelveticaNeue font.
>
> So I open it in FontForge and - because I'd like to use the kerning
> information - generate the Font with its PFB, AFM and TFM files.
>

> According to Bill's help page it should work by (renaming and) placing
> the phnr8r.tfm in its tfm folder, the phnr8a.afm and phnr8a.pfb in its
> respective folders (within my texfm-font tree).
>
> Then I need a mapfile texnansi-helveticaneue.map with the line:
>
> phnr8r HelveticaNeue 4 < phnr8a.pfb texnansi.enc
>
> And my test file looks like this:
>
> \loadmapfile[texnansi-adobe-helveticaneue.map]
>
> \definefontsynonym[HelveticaNeue][phnr8r][encoding=texnansi]
> \definefont[MySecondFont][HelveticaNeue]
> \starttext
> \MySecondFont I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold
> there grew.
> \stoptext
>
> But it results in problems with the TFM file. Why?
>

> ! Font \**MySecondFont**=phnr8r at 12.0pt not loadable: Bad metric
> (TFM) file.
> <to be read again>
>                    \relax
> \dododefinefont ...ontspec {#2}\rawfontidentifier
>                                                   \let
> \localrelativefontsiz...
>
> \redodefinefont #1#2#3->\dododefinefont {#1}{#2}
>                                                 \doifsetupselse {#3}
> {\setup...
> l.7 \MySecondFont
>                   I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of
> gold th...
>
> ?
>

> Steffen

Did you re-hash (mktexlsr or something similar) ?

luigi