* Re: Going crazy with font conversion (macron)!
@ 2005-03-24 12:08 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2005-03-24 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: atl

BTW:

Is there also a command to translate TFM (and VF) files to AFM or
another human readable format and back again?

Steffen

* Re: Going crazy with font conversion (macron)!
@ 2005-03-24 14:16 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2005-03-24 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

>  Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
>  > BTW:
>  >
>  > Is there also a command to translate TFM (and VF) files to AFM or
>  > another human readable format and back again?
>
>  There exist the Knuthian programs tftopl (for tfm only) and
>  vftovp (for virtual fonts) that convert to 'property list'
>  format. The format is an ASCCI representation, but Whether or
>  not you think this is human readable depends on what kind of
>  human you are ;-)
>
>  Anyway, the commands should be part of your installation already.
>
>  Taco

The idea was to translate TFM (and VF?) in a readable format, and
back again, in order to be able of making little kerning adjustments:
When  the font is already Tex-installed and in use, but finally there
is one kerning pair that doesn't look good enough, I wanted to be
able to make this particular adjustment in the kerning table without
starting from AFM and going the whole conversion and installation way
again.

Steffen

* Re: Going crazy with font conversion (macron)!
@ 2005-03-23 13:14 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2005-03-23 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adam Lindsay <atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk> wrote:

>  It means that there's no \omacron in texnansi (or the other major
>  western encodings used for TeX fonts), and you're asking ConTeXt to
>  synthesise it from an 'o' and a 'textmacron'. It wouldn't surprise me
>  one bit to hear that the Mac handles combining accents differently from
>  TeX, and so the converted font's metrics is going to result in mistakes
>  in building text accents.
>
>  Interpretation: you're using artificial test cases to verify the font
>  installation. Stick to what you need and know, and you'll probably end
>  up with a character in the encoding.

No! I do need \omacron as I am typesetting the German translation of
a Indian Yoga book ... with lots of Sanskrit (in latin alphabet plus
all those diacritical accents)!

>  If you do need \omacron and the like, then you could hand-tune macros
>  that accommodate the specific font--see Idris's recent thread on
>  accents, or you could cook up an "expert" encoding (since MacOSX's
>  Helvetica does include that character) like Vit, and switch to that
>  encoding when you need the character, or you could even go with a big
>  unicode font install. I'll be documenting that process sometime.

That would be quite interesting.

(But for now I leave this workshop and use the HelveticaNeue to go on.)

Thank you,

Steffen

* Re: Going crazy with font conversion (macron)!
@ 2005-03-23 11:54 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2005-03-23 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adam Lindsay <atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk> wrote:

>  Hum. I haven't tried to replicate that here, but that looks like it
>  might be an encoding problem: ConTeXt doesn't know that you're using a
>  texnansi encoding, so it synthesises the characters using the
>  definitions in enco-def. Is the above file the only way you tested it?

No, also with other conversion and in other files it is the same.

>  Does this help?
>
>  \loadmapline[+Helvetica Helvetica " TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont "
>  <texnansi.enc <Helvetica.pfb]
>  \definefontsynonym[texnansi-Helvetica][Helvetica][encoding=texnansi]
>
>  \starttext
>  \definedfont[texnansi-Helvetica]
>  R\d{o} R{\=o} R\~o
>  \stoptext

Well, then the tilde moves in its right position.
But the macron stays left.

A font wizard knows what that means?!

Steffen