* Re: Urgent index problem
       [not found] <20050328194852.C549A12863@ronja.ntg.nl>
@ 2005-03-29  7:20 ` Duncan Hothersall
From: Duncan Hothersall @ 2005-03-29  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wrote:

> --
> \starttext
> \startregister[index]{this term+in+particular} This term is discussed
> from the start of this page.\page[yes]
> Some more text about the term, and another page.\page[yes]
> And the end of the info about that term. \stopregister[index]{this
> term+in+particular}\page[yes]
> A page unrelated to that term.\page[yes]
> \index{this term+in+particular} And then another page on exactly the
> same term.\page[yes]
> \placeindex\page[yes]
> Disaster! The entry on page 5 has been eaten!
> \stoptext
> --

I realise that there is a workaround for the sample above, using the
literal ASCII string in [] which makes this specific example work.
Unfortunately this doesn't make everything work correctly in a larger
document. I'm now seeing two other specific behaviours as well:

1. When there is a range and a single entry, the range is sometimes
listed first in the index, even if the single entry is many pages before
it - i.e. 282-283, 170

2. On other occasions where a range and a single entry exist, I end up
having a strange three-way range in the index - like 282-283-349. The
last reference should be just a single one on its own.

It's really difficult to post a minimal file for these because they only
occur when the whole text is processed (several hundred pages). I have
just synchronised my tree this morning and no difference is made.

Any help, especially today, VERY gratefully received.

Duncan

* Urgent index problem
@ 2005-03-28 16:20 Duncan Hothersall
From: Duncan Hothersall @ 2005-03-28 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am one night from a deadline and I have just noticed that my index is
silently ignoring some entries... Help!!

The following demonstrates the problem (tested on live.contextgarden.net):

--
\starttext
\startregister[index]{this term+in+particular} This term is discussed
from the start of this page.\page[yes]
Some more text about the term, and another page.\page[yes]
And the end of the info about that term. \stopregister[index]{this
term+in+particular}\page[yes]
A page unrelated to that term.\page[yes]
\index{this term+in+particular} And then another page on exactly the
same term.\page[yes]
\placeindex\page[yes]
Disaster! The entry on page 5 has been eaten!
\stoptext
--

So we have the same terms referenced as a span over pages 1 to 3, and as
a single entry on page 5. But only the span appears, not the second

\registerentry{index}{t}
\registerentrya{index}{this term}
\registerentryb{index}{in}
\registerentryc{index}{particular}
\registerfrom{index}{,}{1}{2::0:0:0:0:0:0:0::1}{1}
\registerpage{index}{,}{3}{2::0:0:0:0:0:0:0::5}{5}
\registerto{index}{,}{2}{2::0:0:0:0:0:0:0::3}{3}

so it looks like the sorting of these by page numbers has broken, and
ConTeXt thinks that page 5 is between pages 1 and 3.

I hope someone can help...

Duncan