* how to place figures next to each other
@ 2005-03-18 11:20 Peter
From: Peter @ 2005-03-18 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear list,

How can I place two figures next to each other without using a
\startcombination ... \stopcombination group?

I now have this, but it is not what I want:

\gebruikexternfiguur[kortoctaaf][cekort][type=eps,hoogte=30mm]
\gebruikexternfiguur[gebrokenoctaaf][gebroken][type=eps,hoogte=30mm]
\plaatsfiguur
	[hier]
	[fig:klavieren]
	{Enkele varianten van het groot octaaf}
	{\startcombinatie[2*1]
	{\kortoctaaf}{kort octaaf}
	{\gebrokenoctaaf}{gebroken octaaf}
	\stopcombinatie}

I want to have the two figures numbered as seperate, independent
figures, but when using a combination, the whole combination is treated
as one figure and gets only one number and one label.

XXXX      XXXX
X  X      X  X
XXXX      XXXX

fig.n      fig.n+1

I've consulted the manuals and searched the list archives, but I have
not found a solution.

tnx in advance,

Peter van Kranenburg

* Re: how to place figures next to each other
@ 2005-03-25 15:57 ` Peter
From: Peter @ 2005-03-25 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter wrote:
> How can I place two figures next to each other without using a
> \startcombination ... \stopcombination group?
>
> I now have this, but it is not what I want:
>
> \gebruikexternfiguur[kortoctaaf][cekort][type=eps,hoogte=30mm]
> \gebruikexternfiguur[gebrokenoctaaf][gebroken][type=eps,hoogte=30mm]
> \plaatsfiguur
>     [hier]
>     [fig:klavieren]
>     {Enkele varianten van het groot octaaf}
>     {\startcombinatie[2*1]
>     {\kortoctaaf}{kort octaaf}
>     {\gebrokenoctaaf}{gebroken octaaf}
>     \stopcombinatie}
>
> I want to have the two figures numbered as seperate, independent
> figures, but when using a combination, the whole combination is treated
> as one figure and gets only one number and one label.
>
> XXXX      XXXX
> X  X      X  X
> XXXX      XXXX
>
> fig.n      fig.n+1
>
> I've consulted the manuals and searched the list archives, but I have
> not found a solution.
>
> tnx in advance,

I now know how to suppress the caption of the combination. By using the
option "none".
Now I have to generate the captions of the two figures with the correct
numbers and the reference-labels by hand. So my questions:
- How can I increment the figure counter?
- How can I print the current figure number?
- How can I add labels for referencing to the two figures?
- Is there a better approach to do this?

I have two small figures. So I really want them next to each other. It's
a waste of space to put them underneath each other.

Peter

* Re: how to place figures next to each other
@ 2005-03-28 22:59   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-03-28 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter wrote:
> Peter wrote:
>
>> How can I place two figures next to each other without using a
>> \startcombination ... \stopcombination group?
>>
>> I now have this, but it is not what I want:
>>
>> \gebruikexternfiguur[kortoctaaf][cekort][type=eps,hoogte=30mm]
>> \gebruikexternfiguur[gebrokenoctaaf][gebroken][type=eps,hoogte=30mm]
>> \plaatsfiguur
>>     [hier]
>>     [fig:klavieren]
>>     {Enkele varianten van het groot octaaf}
>>     {\startcombinatie[2*1]
>>     {\kortoctaaf}{kort octaaf}
>>     {\gebrokenoctaaf}{gebroken octaaf}
>>     \stopcombinatie}
>>
>> I want to have the two figures numbered as seperate, independent
>> figures, but when using a combination, the whole combination is
>> treated as one figure and gets only one number and one label.
>>
>> XXXX      XXXX
>> X  X      X  X
>> XXXX      XXXX
>>
>> fig.n      fig.n+1
>>
>> I've consulted the manuals and searched the list archives, but I have
>> not found a solution.
>>
>> tnx in advance,
>>

> I now know how to suppress the caption of the combination. By using the
> option "none".
> Now I have to generate the captions of the two figures with the correct
> numbers and the reference-labels by hand. So my questions:
> - How can I increment the figure counter?
> - How can I print the current figure number?
> - How can I add labels for referencing to the two figures?
> - Is there a better approach to do this?
>
> I have two small figures. So I really want them next to each other. It's
> a waste of space to put them underneath each other.

ok then, since no one comes to your help ...

\starttext

\placefigure
   [none]
   {}
   {\startcombination
      {\externalfigure[cow][width=4cm]} {\placefloatcaption[figure]{one}}
      {\externalfigure[cow][width=4cm]} {\placefloatcaption[figure]{two}}
    \stopcombination}

\stoptext

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2005-03-29 10:25     ` Peter
From: Peter @ 2005-03-29 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> \starttext
>
> \placefigure
>   [none]
>   {}
>   {\startcombination
>      {\externalfigure[cow][width=4cm]} {\placefloatcaption[figure]{one}}
>      {\externalfigure[cow][width=4cm]} {\placefloatcaption[figure]{two}}
>    \stopcombination}
>
> \stoptext

Wow, is it that simple and elegant...
I had to figure out to replace 'figure' by 'figuur' in the dutch
interface. But doing so gives me exactly what I want.
Many thanks!
Peter

* Re: how to place figures next to each other
@ 2005-03-21 22:26         ` Peter
From: Peter @ 2005-03-21 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthias Weber wrote:
> The best I can get is
>
> \starttext
> \useexternalfigure[myfigure][filename][width=1in]
> \placetable[here][tab:2figures]{none}
 > [...]

Thanks for the try. I've also tried columns. But the floating mechanism
and columns/tables doesn't cooperate very well...

Maybe there is a way to increment the figure counter by hand? And to add
a label for the added figurenumber? Then I can make the
[2*1]-combination appear as two independent figures.

the only problem then is the caption of the combination. I don't want
that caption, and I don't want the space that is occupied by that caption.

greetings
Peter

* Re: how to place figures next to each other
@ 2005-03-20 22:35       ` Matthias Weber
From: Matthias Weber @ 2005-03-20 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

The best I can get is

\starttext

\useexternalfigure[myfigure][filename][width=1in]

\placetable[here][tab:2figures]{none}
\starttable[|c|c|]
\NC
\placefigure[here]{My Caption 1}{\externalfigure[myfigure]}
\NC
\placefigure[here]{My Caption 1}{\externalfigure[myfigure]}
\NC
\FR
\stoptable

\stoptext

But something in \placefigure produces undesired glue so that the
figures
end up in the margins.

Somebody else?

Matthias