* bibmodule: two small questions
@ 2005-03-29 10:26 Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2005-03-29 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been playing with Taco's bibmodule, and I'm absolutely thrilled
how easy it is to customize things. Once you've groked how things work,
you can simply copy code from bibl-apa.tex and modify, it's just
wonderful (OT: what does "apa" stand for in this abbreviation? For me,
it's the American Philological Association, but I guess that's not
meant here.) I even managed to typeset the numbers of my bibliography
flushright in a \hbox and was very proud of myself.

Two small questions remain:

1. Is  there a general option to have the publicationlist typeset in a
smaller font size? The default seems to be the general bodyfont, but I
couldn't see where this could be modified.

2. The space between the items does not follow the normal
interlinespace, but is fixed to a somewhat smaller value, which looks a
bit bizarre. Is there any way to modify this behavior.

But these are just cosmetic flaws, overall, the module works
wonderfully. Very impressive!

Best

Thomas

* Re: bibmodule: two small questions
@ 2005-03-29 16:05 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-03-29 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Thomas,

American Psychological Association, http://www.apastyle.org

> 1. Is  there a general option to have the publicationlist typeset in a
> smaller font size? The default seems to be the general bodyfont, but I
> couldn't see where this could be modified.

The easiest solution is not to use \completepublications, but
\placepublications, something like this (untested):

   \section{References}
   \switchtobodyfont[8pt]
   \placepublications

> 2. The space between the items does not follow the normal
> interlinespace, but is fixed to a somewhat smaller value, which looks a
> bit bizarre. Is there any way to modify this behavior.

I believe this may depend a bit on your ConTeXt & bib module version(s).

The current one looks fine (I think), but I know for a fact that there
have been some problems with older versions, and perhaps they have
not been resolved properly. See the options to \setuplist in texshow,
if you want to tweak the spacing between items, you can use all those
options inside a \setuppublicationlist command.

Greetings, Taco

* Re: bibmodule: two small questions
@ 2005-03-29 20:16   ` Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2005-03-29 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Taco!

Actually, the \switchtobodyfont works even with \completepublications.

But the spacing seems to have a problem even in newer versions --I use
the latest and greatest:

TeXExec 5.2.5 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005

                texexec : TeXExec 5.2.5 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005
                texutil : TeXUtil 9.0.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-2004
                    tex : pdfeTeX, 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
                context : ver: 2005.03.16
                cont-en : ver: 2005.03.16  fmt: 2005.3.23  mes: english

Nevertheless, the space between items in the publicationlist is
slightly smaller than between normal lines. You can observe it best if
you set the interlinespace to something like 5ex.

I tried something like

\setuppublicationlist
             [after={\vskip2pt}]

but this is just a guesstimate and will have to be adapted when I
change the bodyfont or the interlinespace.

On an unrelated note: A couple of months ago, somebody posted about
problems with cross-references. You supplied a workaround then:

\setbox0\vbox{\placepublications}
\completepublications

This still works, but any chance that the bug will be fixed?

But most importantly: thanks for providing this wonderful tool!

Best

Thomas

@ 2005-03-30  6:42     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-03-30  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A.Schmitz wrote:
> Thanks Taco!
>
> Actually, the \switchtobodyfont works even with \completepublications.

Ok, cool.

> Nevertheless, the space between items in the publicationlist is slightly
> smaller than between normal lines. You can observe it best if you set
> the interlinespace to something like 5ex.

I have to check this (and the crossrefs). Added to my todo list, I hope
to so work on the bib module next week.

Greetings, Taco

* RE: bibmodule: two small questions
@ 2005-03-30 14:18     ` Stefano
From: Stefano @ 2005-03-30 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas,

I was able to set the spacing between items in the publications list by
using

\placepublications[before={\setupwhitespace[5pt]}]

Using \setupwhitespace before \placepublications did not work for me.

Stefano

@ 2005-03-30 14:35       ` Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2005-03-30 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefano,

thanks for the reply. This command has a very weird behavior: when I
set it to

\placepublications[before={\setupwhitespace[0pt]}]

I still get too little whitespace between items. When I set it to any
value, like

\placepublications[before={\setupwhitespace[.1pt]}]

I get a blank of approx. half a line. But I can't achieve what I want:
exactly the same interlinespace within items and between items. So it
must be something hidden somewhere in the macros.

All best

Thomas