* Beginnner's question: fumbling with font finding failures.
       [not found] <20050330203818.ADE29128CA@ronja.ntg.nl>
@ 2005-03-31  1:48 ` Paul R Martin
From: Paul R Martin @ 2005-03-31  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear ConTeXters,

I'm a newcomer to ConTeXt and to this congenial and obviously active
list:  please bear with me and read my story. I'll be much more
succinct in future.

Last week, I installed TeTex and ConTeXt [Mac OS X 10.3 "Panther"]. I'm
working my way through the "Excursion" and "This Way/ My Way"
documents. They are great documents, ConTeXt is a great  package, and
I've had some timely tips from Hans Hagen (Hail thee, Hans!). I've made
some good progress. I have learned the difference between a  _Hasselter
juffer_ and a _Hasselter bitter_, but I'm still not sure what one does
with a _foekepot_. I suspect that it's a percussion instrument, but
that's beside the point.

I have a history of user-level LaTeX formatting in my distant past.
I've mostly been stuck in the dark, ragged, dreary, world of MS Office
for the past decade, so you can understand my joy to see beautiful,
colourful .pdf pages rolling up my screen, as a result of typing
straightforward, comprehensible formatting commands in a plain text
ascii file. As my fellow Australians would say: ** You little ripper!
**

Now, I've managed to side-step some menacing signs of absent fonts as I
progressed. My goals are straightforward (technical documentation and
scientific writing), so I've been happy to accept the font
fallback/replacement routines. Further, my glimpses into the pages and
pages of information about font handling make me think that it's a kind
of bad neighbourhood for a person like me to enter, just as it was when
TeX and I were young.

But now I've struck the following blockade in my quest to produce a 'My
Way' document, which I did by simply

	1) cutting and pasting the source code from the page 3 of My Way #0
[mag-0000.pdf]
	2) changing the author name, and
	3) saving the resultant text as [mwy-000-Test.tex],  then
	4) running the perl "texexec" script on it.

OK, don't snicker, it may not be such a silly thing to try. I'm sure
there are other people who might try this kind of approach. Here is the
gist of the result -- ellipses mark my deletions.

------------------------------START---------------------------

[nvri-hayden:~/Documents/ConTEXt/MyWay] paulm% texexec --color --pdf
mwy-000-Test

  TeXExec 5.2.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005

system          : macros of module mag-01 loaded

(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/context/base/type-
akb.tex)kpathsea: Running mktextfm uplr8t
mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1;
nonstopmode; input uplr8t
This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.3)

kpathsea: Running mktexmf uplr8t
! I can't find file `uplr8t'.
<*> ...:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input uplr8t

Please type another input file name
! Emergency stop.
<*> ...:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input uplr8t

Transcript written on mfput.log.
grep: uplr8t.log: No such file or directory
mktextfm: `mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode;
input uplr8t' failed to make uplr8t.tfm.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.

! Font \*palatino12ptrmtf*:=uplr8t at 12.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM)
file no
t found.

---------------------------------------------FINISH-------------------

[etc etc, I think that 'nonstopmode' might have been why this loop
continued for the next 120 seconds. BTW I typed 'Q' in response to the
input file name request  above].

Now, it's obvious from the ContextGarden that I've probably missed some
step in font configuration. But when I start to look in the numerous
sources of advice, I strike the usual frustration. There are lots of
statements (lots and lots of 'em!) about checking and un-commenting and
configuring, but I can find no list of *prioritised* things for
beginners to try, in the order which they should be tried, in order to
solve what looks to be a simple and typical problem. Without such a set
of instructions, I'm loath to change anything in my configuration, for
fear that the cure might be worse than the disease.

I'd love to try to understand the source of the error, and how to
handle fonts professionally, and lots of other things as well. But I'm
a busy scientist with many other commitments. As long as ConText is
working I'm happy, but  I can't devote much time to delving into
errors. So I may not be a typical participant in this list. But if you
help me,  you will help to make ConTeXt more accessible to others like
me, and this will be good for the cause, _nes pas?_  I'd be happy to
write a my way document or contribute a Wiki page on this topic to
encapsulate any good advice for myself and other neophytes.

Yours,

P.

Paul R Martin
National Vision Research Institute of Australia
Tel: +613 9349 7481
prmartin@unimelb.edu.au

* Re: Beginnner's question: fumbling with font finding failures.
@ 2005-03-31 11:53   ` Thomas A.Schmitz
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2005-03-31 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Glad you're enjoying your ConTeXt experience. Believe me: it's a great
macro package, and it will grow on you.

To answer your question:  What you did is basically correct, however,
there is a tiny mistake in the code in s-mag01.tex. The font
declaration doesn't work out of the box with a current TeX distribution
(I have lost track of all the changes in TDS etc. during the last
months). I used the module a few days ago and meant to write a note to
Hans, but then forgot. The easiest fix is:
1. Open s-mag-01.tex (which on your box, if you use Gerben Wierda's
installer, should be in
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/base/s-mag-01.tex

2. Locate the lines

\usetypescript
   [palatino][\defaultencoding]

\setupbodyfont
   [palatino,10pt]

3. Just before them, insert this line:
\usetypescript[adobekb][\defaultencoding]

4. Save the file and rerun, and you should be in business.

Good luck!

Thomas

On Mar 31, 2005, at 3:48 AM, Paul R Martin wrote:

> [...]
> handle fonts professionally, and lots of other things as well. But I'm
> a busy scientist with many other commitments. As long as ConText is
> working I'm happy, but  I can't devote much time to delving into
> errors. So I may not be a typical participant in this list. But if you
> help me,  you will help to make ConTeXt more accessible to others like
> me, and this will be good for the cause, _nes pas?_  I'd be happy to
> write a my way document or contribute a Wiki page on this topic to
> encapsulate any good advice for myself and other neophytes.
>
> Yours,
>
> P.
>
> Paul R Martin
> National Vision Research Institute of Australia
> Tel: +613 9349 7481
> prmartin@unimelb.edu.au

* Re: Beginnner's question: fumbling with font finding  failures.
@ 2005-03-31 12:21     ` Otared Kavian
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Otared Kavian @ 2005-03-31 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 13:53 +0200 31/03/05, Thomas A.Schmitz wrote:
>2. Locate the lines
>
>\usetypescript
>   [palatino][\defaultencoding]
>
>\setupbodyfont
>   [palatino,10pt]
>
>3. Just before them, insert this line:
>\usetypescript[adobekb][\defaultencoding]
>
>4. Save the file and rerun, and you should be in business.

Hi,

In my experience, I had to say:

\usetypescript [adobekb][\defaultencoding]
\setupbodyfont[pos]
\usetypescript[palatino][\defaultencoding]
\setupbodyfont[palatino,10pt]

in order to have any success in typesetting that file (under Mac OS X
10.3.8 and Gerben Wierda's TeX).

Best regards: OK

* Stopping and contiuning movies
@ 2005-03-31 12:42     ` Albrecht Kauffmann
From: Albrecht Kauffmann @ 2005-03-31 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

is it possible to stop (and continue) a movie (at arbitrary time points)
that has been included how
described in the ConTeXt manual ch. 13.7 p. 302 ff.? To start the movie
using StartMovie works fine, but using StopMovie causes to abort the movie
instead of stopping.

With many thanks for any hint
Albrecht

* Metapost animation
@ 2005-03-31 12:50     ` Albrecht Kauffmann
From: Albrecht Kauffmann @ 2005-03-31 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans, hi all,

in an former mail you had answered to the question of Michal Kvasnicka:
"Is it possible to `animate'
> the fieldstack? In other words, to make it change one figure to
> another automatically, without clicking anywhere, changing one frame
> to another each 1/n second to simulate a smoth motion like in a
cinema?":

"sure, you can let a javascript toggle the states, ...".

Has someone already experience with such animated field stacks and can
give me some clue how to realize this?

With many thanks in advance
Albrecht

* Re: Beginnner's question: fumbling with font finding failures.
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-03-31 16:08     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-03-31 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A.Schmitz wrote:

> 3. Just before them, insert this line:
> \usetypescript[adobekb][\defaultencoding]

that should go in your local cont-sys.tex file; alternatively say

\usetypescript[berry][\defaultencoding]

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Stopping and contiuning movies
@ 2005-03-31 16:09       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-03-31 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Albrecht Kauffmann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> is it possible to stop (and continue) a movie (at arbitrary time points)
> that has been included how
> described in the ConTeXt manual ch. 13.7 p. 302 ff.? To start the movie
> using StartMovie works fine, but using StopMovie causes to abort the movie
> instead of stopping.

PauseMovie

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE