* RE: 5 major problems with mswincontext.zip
@ 2005-03-24  5:10 ishamid
From: ishamid @ 2005-03-24  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

>===== Original Message From Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> =====
>> 1. Zapf Chancery has disappeared (the other free fonts in showfonts.pdf
still
>> work):

>strange indeed, it looks like the files are corrupted (very small tfm/vf
files);
>  you can regenerate the metrics with:
>
>texmfstart texfont.pl type-tmf.dat --en=texnansi --ven=urw -col=zapfchan

ok, it works now:-)

Thnx
Idris

============================
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: 5 major problems with mswincontext.zip
@ 2005-03-24  9:01 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-03-24  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

ishamid wrote:
>>===== Original Message From Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> =====
>>ishamid wrote:
>>

>>>2. aleph is still searching its format in the wrong directory; its format
>
> is
>
>>>properly installed in
>>>\texmf-mswin/web2c/aleph/
>>
>>can you try what happens when you add the following lines to your texmf.cnf
>
> file
>
>>(you can edit the file with: texmfstart --direct scite kpse:texmf.cnf)
>>
>>TEXFORMATS.xetex   = $TEXFORMATS/{xetex,}//
>>TEXFORMATS.aleph   = $TEXFORMATS/{aleph,}//
>>TEXFORMATS.pdftex  = $TEXFORMATS/{pdftex,}//
>>TEXFORMATS.pdfetex = $TEXFORMATS/{pdfetex,}//
>

> Regenerated the formats after editing
> \texmf-local\web2c\texmf.cnf
>
> Unfortunately it still gives the same error. Please advise;->

set the engine flat to true in texexec.ini and regenerate the formats

(there whould be subdir now under texmf-mswin/web2c)

hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2005-03-24  4:56 ishamid
From: ishamid @ 2005-03-24  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-03-23 22:16 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-03-23 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-03-23 20:16 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-03-23 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

ishamid wrote:
> Dear conglomerate,
>
> Ok, I've installed mswincontext.zip, dated 3-16, refreshed fndb,
> set  UseEnginePath   to  true
> and so forth.
>
> 4 Problems:
>
> 1. Zapf Chancery has disappeared (the other free fonts in showfonts.pdf still
> work):
>
> ==========================
> \definetypeface [zapf] [cg] [calligraphy] [chancery]
> \switchtotypeface [zapf] [12pt,cg]
>
> Zapf Chancery
>
> \input tufte.tex
> ==========================

strange indeed, it looks like the files are corrupted (very small tfm/vf files);
  you can regenerate the metrics with:

texmfstart texfont.pl type-tmf.dat --en=texnansi --ven=urw -col=zapfchan

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2005-03-22  2:33 ishamid
From: ishamid @ 2005-03-22  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just checked:

Not only aleph, but pdftex does not work with (o)dvips/dvipdfmx:

===========================
\starttext

Latin Modern

\input tufte.tex

\stoptext
===========================

If I run (o)dvips from TeXLive, I get

===========================
This is dvips(k) 5.94a Copyright 2003 Radical Eye Software
(www.radicaleye.com)
' TeX output 2005.03.21:1943' -> lm.ps
kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 8000 --mag 1+0/8000 --dpi
8000
ec-lmr12
mktexmf: empty or non-existent rootfile!
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for ec-lmr12.kpathsea: Appending
ont creation commands to missfont.log.
dvips.exe: Font ec-lmr12 not found, characters will be left blank.
===========================

If I run it from  C:\ConTeXt I get

===========================
This is dvips(k) 5.94b Copyright 2004 Radical Eye Software
(www.radicaleye.com)
dvips: ! Couldn't find header file tex.pro
===========================

Best
Idris

============================

@ 2005-03-22  0:59 ishamid
From: ishamid @ 2005-03-22  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear conglomerate,

Ok, I've installed mswincontext.zip, dated 3-16, refreshed fndb,
set  UseEnginePath   to  true
and so forth.

4 Problems:

1. Zapf Chancery has disappeared (the other free fonts in showfonts.pdf still
work):

==========================
\definetypeface [zapf] [cg] [calligraphy] [chancery]
\switchtotypeface [zapf] [12pt,cg]

Zapf Chancery

\input tufte.tex
==========================

Log file:

===========================
This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.20a-2.2 (Web2c 7.5.3) (format=cont-en
2005.3.21)  21 MAR 2005 17:38
entering extended mode
\write18 enabled.
 (c:\CONTEXT\tex\texmf-local/web2c/natural.tcx)
**&pdfetex/cont-en typescripts2.tex
(./typescripts2.tex

<snip>

(c:\CONTEXT\tex\texmf-local/tex/context/base/type-buy.tex)
Missing character: There is no Z in font texnansi-uzcmi8a!
Missing character: There is no a in font texnansi-uzcmi8a!

<snip>

Missing character: There is no . in font texnansi-uzcmi8a!
)
fonts           : using map file: texnansi-base
fonts           : using map file: texnansi-urw-zapfchan
[1.1
Warning: pdfetex.exe (file pdftex.map): cannot open font map file

<snip>
===========================

2. aleph is still searching its format in the wrong directory; its format is
properly installed in
\texmf-mswin/web2c/aleph/

===========================
This is Aleph, Version 3.141592-1.15-2.1-0.0-rc4 (Web2c 7.5.3)
 \write18 enabled.
Copyright (c) 2002--2004 the Aleph task force
---! c:\CONTEXT\tex\texmf-mswin/web2c/pdfetex/cont-en.fmt was written by
pdfetex
===========================

3. If I replace the pdfetex format with
aleph.fmt, the latter works. It copiles fine on the following file, but
neither dvips, odvips, or dvipdfm can find the fonts:

===========================
% output=aleph interface=en

\starttext

Latin Modern

\input tufte

\definetypeface [times] [rm] [serif] [times] [default] [encoding=ec]
\switchtotypeface [times] [12pt,rm]

Times

\input tufte.tex

\stoptext
===========================

Also, aleph displays the strange "HASH" message:
===========================
 TeXExec 5.2.5 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005

Opt=HASH(0x1c44160)            executable : aleph
===========================

4. That trick with the footnotes and endnotes is interesting, but the endnotes
still spill over the page (I double-checked that core-not was replaced and the
format regenerated):

===========================
% output=pdftex interface=en

\starttext

\dorecurse{100}{test \footnote{test} \endnote{eee}\endgraf}

\page

\placenotes[endnote]

\stoptext
===========================

5. I'm still concerned about getting ConTeXt to search my old \TeXLive tree
secondarily. changing

C:\ConTeXt\tex\texmf-local\web2c\texmf.cnf

does not seem to do anything (sigh  )
==

I really hope I can get everything working soon, because I've lost about a
week's worth of deadlined writing fooling around with configuring ConTeXt
(which is exactly what I was afraid would happen):-(

Thnx in advance, and forgive my frustration-)
Idris