* RE: proposed convention for variation switching [wasRE:inheriting ...
@ 2005-04-21 23:53 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-04-21 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

>===== Original Message From Vit Zyka <vit.zyka@seznam.cz> =====
>Adam Lindsay wrote:
>>
>> It's not that I'm trying to rain on your parade, it's just that I've lost
>> a bit of enthusiasm for standardisation.

ok, but this is my take: although I can find workarounds that work for me,
next month other some users will have to go through the same pain as I did,
which seems to me to be a waste of collective energy. A standard solution for
the 12 or so common variants of professional fonts just makes things easier
for others, which is part of the whole ConTeXt philosophy (or so I thought).
Everybody should not have to go through more than the minimal energy and time
writing typescripts and defining font sizes. A standard convention will ensure
some consistency and predictability.

>I generally agree with Adam, fonts are very varios. But the next Idris
>idea is nice. More intuitive then \sc, \bc, \ic, and \bic. I would vote
>for it, but ... at least \sc needs some backward compatibility :-(

Let's keep \sc. After all, ConTeXt already contains many redundancies (and
that's a good thing imho->)

>>>%% small caps
>>>% medium \TF
>>>% bold \BF
>>>% italic \IT
>>>% bold italic \BI

Let's keep the semibold options: medium, semibold, and bold form a common
spectrum _within_ many a professional font family.

If we as users and writers of typescripts can agree on a common framework, it
is perhaps more likely that the developers will implement it.

My sole interest here is saving future users as much pain and frustration as
possible. And I want to see more and more future users, including those with
little technical facility. Fonts carry more _standard_ options than before: I
don't think that updating to 12 standard style switches from 7 should be such
a big deal:-)

>Another discussion proposal: I will get the rest font families from
>Storm to make the support complete. So I will have to solve many similar
>problems with naming conventions. So I am interesting about some
>recommendations. What way to solve via
>A) variants via \Var[...]
>B) \tf, \bf, ... switches,
>C) different font family.
>
>For now I am using:
>A) for extended glyph definitions and old style digits {Var[os]} (if
>they are not default in the font - in that case there might be reverse
>normal style digit variant \Var[ns?]).
>B) standard 4 + small caps + symbols/ornaments designed to the font {\sy}
>C) condensed, extended, medium, ...
>Some comments?

If pdfeTeX ever incorporates aleph's features this would all be much easier-)
Till then...

Not sure I fully understand but here are some comments:

For A) If there is a global issue (like oldstyle) that covers all font
variations, then your Var[#1] idea sounds nice. One could even do that with
small caps for professional fonts but those are so ubiquitous that an
exception would be in order for them (so small caps should always have a
switch);

(I think that \Var[up] (for upright figures) is more intuituve that \Var[ns]),
at least in English:-)))

B) Again, for a comprehensive framework we should keep semibold (and perhaps
add light), for a total of 6(7)+symbols/ornaments;

C) If an option like condensed is global over all style variants, then it
should go in \Var[#1].

If it is local and is a common feature of professional fonts (like semibold),
then we need a local switch framework, in which case the switch mechanism
needs to be improved so that user-defined switches work in harmony with the
predefined ones in every relevant respect.

These are not final thoughts, but the beginnings of what could develop into a
coherent framework for weights and style variation. I truly hope we can come
to a common undestanding for the sake of future neophytes.

ADDENDUM:
Proposed framework:

Global options across all style variants and weights should go into something
like Vit's \Var[#1] or a separate font-definition typescript.

For local options we can go on indefinitely but if we have to stop somewhere
then we should by default have at least:

% lowercase
light \lf
medium \tf
semibold \sb
bold \bf
lightitalic \lt
italic \it
semibold italic \st
bold italic \bi

% small caps
light \LF
medium \TF
semibold \SB
bold \BF
lightitalic \LT
italic \IT
semibold italic \ST
bold italic \BI

for a total of 16 simple and easy to remember switches, which should be rich
enough to accomodate most professional modern fonts in \definebodyfont. Less
common weights etc. can mostly be defined in terms of the standard 16 in
\definebodyfont, then used as \Var.

Of course the user can still define his/her own, but the idea is to make the
most convenient reasonable framework to cover the most-often encountered
situations. I think that the above 16 strikes a reasonable balance between the
mundane and the esoteric.

Sorry for the verbosity.

Best
Idris

============================
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* fontsite 500 CD
@ 2005-04-22  1:11 ` Ciro Soto
From: Ciro Soto @ 2005-04-22  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've read about the fontsite CD (in the Bill Mcclain page) and I wonder if
it is
worth to buy it, and whether there are other similar alternative to get such
large number of fonts.

thank you
Ciro

* Re: proposed convention for variation switching [wasRE:inheriting ...
@ 2005-04-22  8:45 ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2005-04-22  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:

> Let's keep \sc. After all, ConTeXt already contains many redundancies (and
> that's a good thing imho->)

Yes.

> (I think that \Var[up] (for upright figures) is more intuituve that \Var[ns]),
> at least in English:-)))

I agree, both Adams's \Var[lf] and Idris's \Var[up] is better then my
ns. I prefer 'lf', since a) it is related to figures, b) 'up' can be mix
up with upshape/slanted.

> % lowercase
> light \lf
> medium \tf
> semibold \sb
> bold \bf
> lightitalic \lt
> italic \it
> semibold italic \st
> bold italic \bi

What about:
light \lf
medium \mf
semibold \sf
bold \bf
lightitalic \li
italic \it
semibold italic \si
bold italic \bi
It is more intuitive, is't it?

I checked if they have not been occupied yet and at least in en
interface it is OK.

vit

* Re: proposed convention for variation switching [wasRE:inheriting ...
@ 2005-04-22  9:03   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-04-22  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

> What about:
> light \lf
> medium \mf

if medium is \tf (as it is now),

> semibold \sf
> bold \bf

> lightitalic \li
> italic \it

then italic could be \ti, and all four would be consistent:

  (l|t|s|b)(t|i)

(but I may have missed some reason why this will not work)

Greetings, Taco

@ 2005-04-22 17:13         ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-04-22 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 15:55:19 +0100, Adam Lindsay <atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk>
wrote:

> Idris Samawi Hamid said this at Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:36:02 -0600:
>
>> In any case whatever high-level framework we come up with should largely
>> be determined by your decision on the low/mid-level framework.
>
> See, I beg to differ.

I  agree with virtually everything u said, but _maybe_ u missed my
point:-))

If Hans either implements

a) >2-char swutch support; or
b) \sizea(b)(c) etc,

it affects whether the high-level framework will need to use capital
2-char switches or have the option of using unrestricted lower-case
switches
in whatever framework we agree on. Your point is on the framework being
_mentioned_,
mine was on the language _used_ to mention the framework (perhaps I should
have made
that clearer). The logic of the framework used should be largely
independent,
but the language we use to mention it partly depends on the internal
implementation.

I look forward to our final consensus!

Best
Idris
--

@ 2005-04-22 14:55       ` Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2005-04-22 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid said this at Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:36:02 -0600:

>In any case whatever high-level framework we come up with should largely
>be determined by your decision on the low/mid-level framework.

See, I beg to differ.
Whatever high-level framework(s) we come up with should largely be
*independent* of what comes below. Implementation details change, but the
markup should live on independently.

It's one of the drawbacks of these terse mid-level font switches (e.g.,
\ita). The brevity really helps save keying for users, and so they're
really inviting to be used by themselves in documents. The more
attractive and robust markup possibilities allowed by things like
\definestyle go unnoticed, and relatively unused.

So you can define your markup more semantically with \Emphasis{} and
\Acronym{} and \Arabic{} and \Bigger{} and \Slightlybolder{}, and Hans
can change the internals, you can change the font scheme, and everything
still manages to get along.

Disclaimer: I can't claim to have been doing things the structured way up
until now, but I've been thinking about it a lot lately.

adam
 Adam T. Lindsay, Computing Dept.     atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk
 Lancaster University, InfoLab21        +44(0)1524/510.514
 Lancaster, LA1 4WA, UK             Fax:+44(0)1524/510.492

* Re: proposed convention for variation switching [wasRE:inheriting ...
@ 2005-04-22 14:36     ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-04-22 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 10:16:47 +0200, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> i'm not that much in favour of capitalized named (clashes with user
> commands as well as some internals), so \scbf is more likely

Heh, heh, that was my original idea; with 2-char capitals I was trying to
find a way to help you avoid the late nights, headaches, etc.-)

but if \tfa, etc. will soon be obsolete and replaced with \sizea etc.,
then we I'm quite happy to go back to \scbf etc.

@ 2005-04-22  9:38     ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2005-04-22  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> also, whatever system we cook up ... there are so many bold variants
> nowadays in some fonts ... in practice one will not mix semi bold and
> bold in a running text, so again, this can be done by typefaces as well:
>
> \definetypeface[normalface] [...]
> \definetypeface[bolderface] [...]
> \definetypeface[cappedface] [...]

Support for Hans opinion: Storm's DynaGrotesk (Dynamo) comes with 30(!)
bolder/lighter/condensed/extended variants.

vit

* Re: proposed convention for variation switching [wasRE:inheriting ...
@ 2005-04-22  8:16   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-04-22  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adam Lindsay wrote:
> Hi Idris,
>
> I've brought the subject up repeatedly on the list, and got not a lot of
> response. I have to think that 1) people are happy with the standard 7
> font styles, 2) people have their own hand-rolled solution (like
> yourself, myself or Vit--see his Storm fonts support for some nice
> ideas), or 3) as Hans keeps bringing up, there are other ways around it.
> (Layered definitions, etc., which I'm coming around to think is a better
> discipline with markup.)
>
> I'd say take a look at Vit's and my typescripts (I don't directly address
> semibold, because semibold markup in running text doesn't usually work):
> <http://typokvitek.com/stormcontext/>
> <http://homepage.mac.com/atl/tex/OpenType.zip>
>
> The antykwa-torunska typescripts in the main distro also point at ways of
> accessing smallcaps and semibold via \Var[] variants from the main seven
> styles:
> <http://source.contextgarden.net/tex/context/base/type-syn.tex>
>
> It's not that I'm trying to rain on your parade, it's just that I've lost
> a bit of enthusiasm for standardisation.

the problem is that we have to deal with old methods as well as new ones; there
is also a speed issue involved. one of the handicaps is that we need to deal
with math; on the other hand, in a mathless usage, a different font scheme is
possible [we can even implement a new one]

> Idris Samawi Hamid said this at Thu, 21 Apr 2005 12:36:55 -0600:
>

>>My suggestion: Either
>>a) the \*a(b)(c) etc mechanism needs modification to accomodate >2-char
>>switches, or
>>b) an official 2-char switching convention for dealing with semibold and the
>>standard five variants of small caps in ConTeXt is needed. Ideally users
>>should not have to define switches for these standard variants anyway.
>>
>>Here is an idea (further discussion needed):
>>
>>a) Let's assume no change to the ConTeXt internals to accomodate >2-char
>>switches.

the a/b/c/d are something from the past; since typefaces switch pretty quick,
one can also switch the bodyfontsize (i can imagine something \sizea \sizeb ...)

thinking of it, it may be an option if i look into an alternative implementation
with (for backwar dcompatibility)

\def\tfa{\sizea\tf}

like definitions with \sizea being a bodyfont switch to a larger size (one
problem is that in that cas ethe baseline distance would also be influences, so
it may not be good idea after all)

>>b) There are twelve basic style variants in a professional modern serif font
>>(math, greek, etc excluded): six for lower case and six for small caps.
>>
>>On this basis, here is my suggestion for an official ConTeXt convention for
>>professional fonts:
>>
>>%% lowercase
>>% medium \tf
>>% semibold \sb
>>% bold \bf
>>% italic \it
>>% semibold italic \st
>>% bold italic \bi
>>
>>%% small caps
>>% medium \TF
>>% semibold \SB
>>% bold \BF
>>% italic \IT
>>% semibold italic \ST
>>% bold italic \BI

the main problem here is this math family business so some choices need to be
made (math does not mix well with text anyway)

i'm not that much in favour of capitalized named (clashes with user commands as
well as some internals), so \scbf is more likely

also, whatever system we cook up ... there are so many bold variants nowadays in
some fonts ... in practice one will not mix semi bold and bold in a running
text, so again, this can be done by typefaces as well:

\definetypeface[normalface] [...]
\definetypeface[bolderface] [...]
\definetypeface[cappedface] [...]

and in places where this special bolder face is used, just switch to \bolderface

>>The small caps versions are identical to the lowercase versions, with the
>>difference that the small caps versions use caps. This serves as a mnemonic
>>device.
>>
>>We also need some long-winded control sequences:
>>
>> \definestyle [semiboldroman,semibold]                         [\sb][]
>> \definestyle [semibolditalic]                                 [\st][]
>> \definestyle [smallcapssemibold,semiboldsmallcaps]            [\SB][]
>> \definestyle [smallcapsbold,boldsmallcaps]                    [\BF][]
>> \definestyle [smallcapsitalic,italicsmallcaps]                [\IT][]
>> \definestyle [smallcapssemibolditalic,semibolditalicsmallcaps][\ST][]
>> \definestyle [smallcapsbolditalic,bolditalicsmallcaps]        [\BI][]
>>
>>An identical or similar analysis may work for sans-serif, but I have to
>>check...

before i do something with this i need to think it over; (and look at the storm
definitions and adamns stuff more closely; keep in mind that with xetex and open
type being around we may need even more features)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2005-04-21 23:00     ` Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2005-04-21 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vit Zyka said this at Fri, 22 Apr 2005 00:43:06 +0200:

>A) for extended glyph definitions and old style digits {Var[os]} (if
>they are not default in the font - in that case there might be reverse
>normal style digit variant \Var[ns?]).

I'm used to them being called lf: lining figures. But other names apply
just as well.

> So I will have to solve many similar
>problems with naming conventions. So I am interesting about some
>recommendations. What way to solve via
>A) variants via \Var[...]
>B) \tf, \bf, ... switches,
>C) different font family.

Naming conventions are about as far as we can go--and I'm fairly in
favour of them.

@ 2005-04-21 22:43   ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2005-04-21 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adam Lindsay wrote:

> It's not that I'm trying to rain on your parade, it's just that I've lost
> a bit of enthusiasm for standardisation.

I generally agree with Adam, fonts are very varios. But the next Idris
idea is nice. More intuitive then \sc, \bc, \ic, and \bic. I would vote
for it, but ... at least \sc needs some backward compatibility :-(

>>%% small caps
>>% medium \TF
>>% bold \BF
>>% italic \IT
>>% bold italic \BI

Another discussion proposal: I will get the rest font families from
Storm to make the support complete. So I will have to solve many similar
problems with naming conventions. So I am interesting about some
recommendations. What way to solve via
A) variants via \Var[...]
B) \tf, \bf, ... switches,
C) different font family.

For now I am using:
A) for extended glyph definitions and old style digits {Var[os]} (if
they are not default in the font - in that case there might be reverse
normal style digit variant \Var[ns?]).
B) standard 4 + small caps + symbols/ornaments designed to the font {\sy}
C) condensed, extended, medium, ...
Some comments?

Cheers,
vit

* Re: proposed convention for variation switching [wasRE:inheriting ...
@ 2005-04-21 19:59 ` Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2005-04-21 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid said this at Thu, 21 Apr 2005 12:36:55 -0600:

>Hmm, I was a little worried at first about >2-char switches at first, till I
>noticed that type-siz.tex uses some four-letter switches as well, e.g.
>
>============line-575==============
>  \definebodyfont [12pt] [mm]
>    [mrbf=xcmb12,
>     exbf=cmex10 at 12pt,
>     mibf=cmmib10 at 12pt,
>     sybf=cmbsy10 at 12pt]
>=====================================
>
>So I assumed that such a scheme would work.

Empirical experimentation was my guide, really. The lines you cite above
are for the very special bold math case, which came into the core only a
year or two ago.
<http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/magazines/mag-0005.pdf>

@ 2005-04-21 19:56 ` Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2005-04-21 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)