* RE: bi-lingual book
@ 2005-04-15  3:18 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-04-15  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Ciro,

<ntg-context@ntg.nl> =====
>well, it seems there is nobody willing to give me any tip on this...
>FYI, I am thinking in several bi-lingual books: one novel, one book of
>poems (which is
>very dificult, but easier for layout as I want since poems are generally
short)

I am also very interested in this problem. I have a number of bilingual
projects in the pipeline, and I'm going to have to start worrying about it
soon...

best
Idris

============================
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: bi-lingual book
@ 2005-04-15  9:09         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-04-15  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ciro Soto wrote:
> well, it seems there is nobody willing to give me any tip on this...
> FYI, I am thinking in several bi-lingual books: one novel, one book of
> poems (which is
> very dificult, but easier for layout as I want since poems are generally short),
> one cookbook, and possible an engineering book. But all depends on
> whether the layout is easy to make.

i played with dual streams a bit yesterday but have no time to explore it now;
it's a tricky business and much depends on what the input / output is to be

it is doable to develop a framework for this, but only when you and others first
come up with some decent spec (what kind of input, what kind of sync, what kind
of content, how to handle floats, etc)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: bi-lingual book
@ 2005-04-15  2:57       ` Ciro Soto
From: Ciro Soto @ 2005-04-15  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

well, it seems there is nobody willing to give me any tip on this...
FYI, I am thinking in several bi-lingual books: one novel, one book of
poems (which is
very dificult, but easier for layout as I want since poems are generally short),
one cookbook, and possible an engineering book. But all depends on
whether the layout is easy to make.

regards
ciro

On 4/13/05, Paul Tremblay <phthenry@iglou.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 05:42:15PM -0400, Ciro Soto wrote:
>
> > I am thinking in producing a book in two languages.
> > One language will be in the verso side of the paper sheet,
> > and the second language will be in the rector side. Trying to
> > be as mirror images so the reader could (if so desired)
> > learn one language from the other.
>
> Sorry I don't have an answer to your question, but I was very
> interested in what type of book you planned to write. It sounds
> interesting.
>
> Paul
>
> --

=======================================
"All problems are at the interface. Each one of them has a solution."
from:
"The Guitar Maker, An Exploration of Wisdom, Design and Love."
A novel by C. A. Soto Aguirre. Pub. Date: October 2005.

* Re: bi-lingual book
@ 2005-04-14  2:00     ` Paul Tremblay
From: Paul Tremblay @ 2005-04-14  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 05:42:15PM -0400, Ciro Soto wrote:

> I am thinking in producing a book in two languages.
> One language will be in the verso side of the paper sheet,
> and the second language will be in the rector side. Trying to
> be as mirror images so the reader could (if so desired)
> learn one language from the other.

Sorry I don't have an answer to your question, but I was very
interested in what type of book you planned to write. It sounds
interesting.

Paul

--

************************
*Paul Tremblay         *

* bi-lingual book
@ 2005-04-13 21:42   ` Ciro Soto
From: Ciro Soto @ 2005-04-13 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am thinking in producing a book in two languages.
One language will be in the verso side of the paper sheet,
and the second language will be in the rector side. Trying to
be as mirror images so the reader could (if so desired)
learn one language from the other.

Questions:
1) Is there a way to do it with two files (one for langauge 1, another
for language 2)
or do I have to put all in one file?
2) Would it be easier to write two pdfs file and do a composition afterward?
3) How to control the length of pages in each language individually, to match
the content of the recto/verso pages.
Any general advice?

thank you
Ciro