From: Idris Samawi Hamid <ishamid@lamar.colostate.edu>
Subject: Encoding and mapping glyphs from an expert font
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 15:02:51 -0600	[thread overview]

[To all the font experts out there: I really need your help!! I have spent at
least 12 hours (!) trying to make this work but to no avail.]

Dear gang,

I have two fonts (actually, lots more but let's keep it simple), one normal
and one expert. I did the following:

1. installed the regular font with texnansi encoding. It works fine. It uses,
say,

texnansi-myfont.map, texnansi-lm.enc

with lines like

texnansi-raw-myfont  MyFont 4 <texnansi-lm.enc <myfont.pfb

2. also installed the expert font with a private encoding. Basically the same
as
texnansi where they share characters in common. It uses, say,

myfontx.map, myencoding.enc

with lines like

myencoding-raw-myfontx MyFontX 4 < myfont.pfb   myencoding.enc

3. With a view to getting characters from my expert font, I carefully studied
as best as I could the implementation of old style figures in lmr, which
involves mappings to cmmi10. This is what I could figure out: Activating old
style is done by

\usetypescript [modern][texnansi]
\usetypescript [map]   [latin-modern-os] [texnansi]

\usetypescript[latin-modern][texnansi]
\setupbodyfont[latin-modern]

There appear to be two main things going on (but I think I'm missing
something):

a. loading a map file:

\starttypescript [map] [latin-modern-os] [ec,texnansi,qx,t5,pl0,il2]
  \loadmapfile[\typescriptthree-os-public-lm.map]
\stoptypescript

Since I'm using texnansi, I looked at texnansi-os-public-lm.map . It contains
lines like

texnansi-lmb10 LMRomanDemi10-Regular <texnansi-os-lm.enc <lmb10.pfb

So I designed an encoding file myfont-plus.enc almost identical to
texnansi-os-lm.enc, containing, e.g., old style numerals from my expert font.
I edited the myfont map files to exactly match the syntax of both

texnansi-os-public-lm.map
and
texnansi-public-lm.map

So for my fonts I have a total of three map files:

\loadmapfile[texnansi-myfont.map]
 % for regular font

\loadmapfile[myencoding-myfontx.map]
% for expert font

\loadmapfile[texnansi-x-myfont.map]
% for mapping minion reg to minion ex

>From this point I am lost. I set up my type-myfont.tex to load these maps. I
can get myfont to work alone, and myfontx to work alone, but I cannot map
characters from myfontx to myfont.

By the way, I still don't understand how placing, e.g., /zerooldstyle in the
respective /zero position in an encoding file will instruct LatinModern to
pick up the glyph from cmmi10. In, for example,

texnansi-lmb10 LMRomanDemi10-Regular <texnansi-os-lm.enc <lmb10.pfb

How does ConTeXt know that /zerooldstyle is to be mapped to cmmbi10?
I must be missing something....

Thnx in advance for your help
Idris

Professor Idris Samawi Hamid