From: Mari Voipio <mari.voipio@iki.fi>
Subject: Re: Figure formats
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 16:43:41 +0300	[thread overview]

Jörg Hagmann wrote:
> If you have the choice of format when preparing the figures for a book
> written with ConTeXt, what would you opt for? (The figures are being
> drawn with ChemDraw and Illustrator).

I'm not terribly good at this (yet?), but one my main guidelines in this
kind of situations in and out of ConTeXt is to keep vector graphics in
vector format and only use bitmap graphics (like png or jpg) if the
original is in a bitmap format (like a photo).

I handle mostly graphics that originate from a 3D CAD program and
different types of graphics I draw myself in CorelDraw (equivalent to
Adobe Illustrator as far as I know). These both generally produce vector
drawings The drawings from the 3D program are mostly in pdf format when
they arrive to me and I've found, somewhat to my surprise, that the best
way of handling them seems to be to include them as pdf, just to crop
them to the picture itself. I also turn my CorelDraw pics into pdf
before adding them to ConTeXt based text, that inserts them nicely and
makes it easy for me to share any graphics at request (I'm occasionally
asked to send just graphic 3.1 from manual x, so it is a good thing to
have all of them as pdf).
The nice thing with vector graphics is that they are almost indefinitely
scalable, so the size of the original is not so critical - and the files
don't take much space even when the original is bigger than the graphic
in my book.

Whenever I have to do something with bitmaps, I try to scale them close
to the final size with good graphics programs, I feel that this give me
better control over what happens to the graphics when resized (the
resolution of some of the originals is pretty bad...). On the other
hand, if it doesn't look bad in the final product, why bother...

Greetings from Finland,
			Mari

PS. Here's a manual [all public] I've done by using text in ConTeXt and
vector graphics in pdf and bitmaps in jpg/png:
<http://www.kpatents.com/1Library/manuals_pr-23.htm>. For example
chapter 5 (at
<http://www.kpatents.com/1Library/manuals/pr-23/pr-23_05.pdf>) has
mainly screen capture bitmaps (I used png format) and chapter 4 (at
<http://www.kpatents.com/1Library/manuals/pr-23/pr-23_04.pdf> includes a
ton of drawings originating from our 3D CAD.